Doctor Who Ood

Redual

Here's a story of firsts (for me)....

For some time now I've wanted an Ood but not been able to find one so finally decided to have a go at making one for myself after being inspired by the work of you guys on the forum. It can only go horribly wrong, right?

Never done lifecasting before but really needed a cast of my head as a base to start the sculp so read up on the process, read again, asked in the suppliers shop, watched youtube videos and instructed the girlfriend what to do and went for it. First go wasn't successful as the plaster was too thin and collapsed. The second attempt resulted in my head being firmly encased in unremovable plaster! Finally got out of that and promptly bought a polystyrene head off ebay.

After covering the polystyrene head with tinfoil the first of the monsterclay was plonked on and it began!

998463_10200269237718622_926861451_n.jpg

Yeah, it's a bit naff but I have this bad habit of drinking too much whisky at times and it looked great to me.

I thought this was going to be a quick job but after much going back and forth I ended up with something a bit more respectable.
DSC_0369.JPG

There was a bit more fiddling about after this but eventually I bit the bullet and buried it in ultracal. Resulting latex mask came out much better than I had originally hoped. Even better, it fitted my noggin!

932DDE97-85A9-4E67-84E8-3DDC79F52BFE-3513-000004F92485F127_zps2c5e50b0.jpg

Michael

I wasn't sure how to make the tentacles so I experimented by making them with clay brushing latex directly on that and peeling it off when dry. It worked reasonably well but I might have a go and using silicon at a later date.
The tentacles can be seen in this pic of when I was experimenting with painting.
7A946035-BB1D-4A77-9870-F1059C010EE6-3513-000004F97466F445_zpsfc5c11ea.jpg

With everything put together it looked like this:

ood on a phone.jpg

I realised that I needed a suit to complete the ood so asked around if someone could make one for me but didn't have much success there. Only one thing for it, make it myself.
After being greeted with suspicion in the shop, I managed to buy a sewing machine. Obviously it's not something that men buy very often from this particular shop! I also bought some very cheap material and using some items from my wardrobe, I traced out a basic pattern and made a rough suit. It turned out quite good but a bit rough around the edges.

2F0A4575-37DE-4F4F-9F49-443C8BA7D76A-3513-000004FA5413DA50_zpsd1084678.jpg

At least I had a pattern that I knew worked and set about making another one with a more suitable material.

DSC_0782.JPGDSC_0784.JPG

Now I need to make another mask with better tentacles and it's all done but as it is, I'm very happy with the results of my first attempts.

Michael

This is a really good sculpt! I actually went to the Dr Who exhibit in Cardiff, UK and they had the sculpt process of the Ood on display. You are almost dead on in comparison!photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Thanks for the positive comments. It means a lot considering this was my first attempt at sculpting since primary school ashtrays and suchlike.
I wish I'd seen your pics before, JDCUK. It proved quite difficult working from screenshots. I'm sure the things change shape as the camera moves!

I love the Ood! You did a great job and it's really important to us beginners that you showed the metamorphism of each part. Thanks for sharing.

I've got another couple of pulls out which are sitting in the cupboard so I'll get around to making them up when time permits but not decided on the details yet. Maybe Sigma.

I took a couple more pics in the daylight with a better camera than an iphone. The imperfections show up much better! there is a nasty seam line which I can't seem to get rid of but the other two pulls don't have it anywhere near as bad. When I made the first one I thought it would be a good idea to leave the two halves of the mould separate for the first couple of layers of latex to ensure it gets into all the detail areas. All it did was create problems so that good idea was abandoned. You can also see that my painting technique requires some practice but we all have to start somewhere don't we?

DSC_0785.JPG

DSC_0788.JPG

Michael

Thanks!
I've never sewed before but didn't find it too difficult. I used some of my clothes to make a rough pattern and adapted it as I went along.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back