Dead Space "Necromorph" monster suit project

DanDiana

Hi all,

First off, i am brand new to this forum and must say what a wonderful community of talented artists i've stumbled upon here. I find communities like this to be a great source of motivation and inspiration. So thanks for that and i hope to add what i can to keep the torch burning.

Now onto the fun stuff.. The first time i was introduced to Dead Space.. i was immediately blown away by it. I mean, how could i not be when presented with the ability to play through a world comprised of elements from some of my favorite films; Carpenter's The Thing, Event Horizon, Aliens.. Being impressed with the "Necromorph" concept and design.. i knew that i needed to create one of these puppies from the ground up.. and better yet.. put an actor inside of it to really bring it to life.

Naturally a "passion project" of this caliber this takes time, money and planning.. so fast forward a couple of years..with a move from New Jersey to Los Angeles.. a nest egg, an adequate lab space.. and the appropriate resources.. i finally start the wheels turning on this..

im still in the beginning stages but moving swiftly along and with the assistance of a few very talented artists and friends, starting to see a speck of light at the end of the tunnel.

Here are progress shots so far of a quick concept sketch, maquette sculpt thanks for checking in!

Attachments

• necro maq 4.JPG
    necro maq 4.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 631
That is very cool and you are an excellent sculpor! Your eye for detail is great. However, my eye for detail is looking at all those apparent pizza boxes in the back ground. :lol

You should not be posting this weekend, since I see you live in Burbank. MonsterPalooza is going on right now!!!!

Thanks, Robot! Unfortunately the boxes are filled with pros-aide transfers and not delicious pizza.

I was at MP yesterday and will be back tomorrow with the Gorburger crew. Some really great displays up this year.. SpiderZero's (Simon Lee) alien v predator piece is magnificent.

Next step was to lifecast the suit actor.

cue the talented Jim Goza.

2rohl3q.jpg

a fiberglass positive of the actor is then layed up to serve as an armature to begin sculpting on..as well as a fiberglass "vest" to support the actual monster core worn over the actor.

3130sd3.jpg

wv4ujd.jpg

Subsequently, the positive hydrocal arm casts are matrix molded in silicone then cast in 1630 to provide a core to sculpt foam latex gloves..

2rrv56t.jpg

once the actor core was secured to a strong speedrail armature ( the final sculpt will weigh in at approximately 500 pounds) i began to sculpt the monster head and torso..which is where i am currently in the process.

28gw1kz.jpg

note: "cuticles" are left in the top of the shoulder to allow for the upper arms to fit into them and connect to the mechanisms inside.

more to come!!

Yes, CreatureFX.. the skin will be all foam latex. the head will be mechanized remotely while the upper arms will be cable controlled.

This is going to be ultra-awesome. With all the hard work and money this is going to take, I hope the makers of the game will hire you to make some promotion campaigns

Is this going to be one of the Necromorphs seen in the first half of Dead Space, or that bloody great big Necromorph toward the end that regenerates when you dismember it with a weapon? the big sculpt looks like the latter....that thing stomping around in the game running after me scared the crap out of me. Looks great!

Is this going to be one of the Necromorphs seen in the first half of Dead Space, or that bloody great big Necromorph toward the end that regenerates when you dismember it with a weapon? the big sculpt looks like the latter....that thing stomping around in the game running after me scared the crap out of me. Looks great!

thanks! yea that hulking Necro was a pain in the ass.. here i'm going for a "standard" Necromorph look and after seeing the sculpt become more linebacker than i intended its since been scaled down for a more slender approach.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back