Cthulhu bust model

TheShinyOne

Hi guys,

inspired by Nick Daring's awesome, awesome (yes I said it twice) sculpt, I decided to finally start trying my luck in 3D modeling.
A lot less "hands-on" than working with real clay, but a lot less messy as well :)

Using Sculptris I tried to recreate the image I have in my head of what Cthulhu looks like. Couldn't resist using some "human" bits. Vascularity and such. The bust itself is gonna have some muscular tissue and vains as well. I really wanted to add the power of this creature and visually, adding muscles is a nice way to do it. ( I know Nick disagrees haha :) )

This is a work in progress of course, will add more detail and neck/shoulders.
The plan is to have it 3D printed and painted, although that is probably pretty long-term.

Let me know what you think!

cthulu iso copy.jpgcthulu front copy.jpgcthulu back copy.jpgcthulu back 2 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. Not exactly beginner level anymore (after only 1 day of trying out sculptris).

Looking forward to the result!

Update time!

A lot of the bust added. Computer reaalllly slowing down because of the polycount.
Slow and steady :)

Chtulu1.jpg

Chtulu2.jpg

Chtulu3.jpg

Chtulu4.jpg

Let me know what you think!

After 38 hours, the first testprint is there.
Awesome to have something in hand that was digital a few days ago and just an idea a few days before that.

Next stop, refining print-settings, making a base/stand for the head, and do some filler/paint test on this testprint.

foto 2.JPG

foto 3.JPG

foto 5.JPG

foto 4.JPG

In our break time we always watch the amazing stuff being posted here, only to realize some of the things that seemed impossible at the time are now actually possible thanks to the printer. It feels like getting an A+ on a really hard test without even opening the textbook.

Anxious to see were you take this Mr. Shiny One!

Great work!! I know what you mean, I've been doing a lot of 3d modeling and printing and I always feel like I'm cheating. Still, it's alowed me to realize props that there wasn't a pratical way to scratch build with my resources.

At any rate, I love your sculpture!! Long live Cthulhu (and by extention, Lovecraft)!!!

I hope I can answer this.

The model itself is 15cm tall and weighs 400 grams. The cost of 1kg (2 pounds) PLA reel is $30 here so it was $12 to print.

We have an Ultimaker 3D printer. We chose this one over any other because it is simply the best layer based printer there is. You can set it to extreme speed, extreme accuracy (0.06mm layer thickness!) and it's build volume is the largest (220mm height x 210mm width x 210mm) and the company behind it has some seriously good client support. Did I mention they also have their own very good slicer Cura? The latest beta has a new way of building support structures that actually sculpts a model around your model to support it in key areas, it is also VERY userfriendly.

It is also primed for upcoming upgrades like the Dual extruder kit (released this week), a heater bed upgrade (motherboard has connectors ready to go), and a 60cm frame upgrade which let's you print heights of up to 600mm (2 feet)! This means you don't have to buy a new printer every time the company releases something new.

I bought the kit so if something would be wrong I would know exactly what was up. The kit is a LOT of fun to construct! It feels like magic if you do your first print after you constructed it and it works for a 100%.

Here is a nice example of the speed it can achieve:

Insane Ultimaker Speed - YouTube

And here is an awesome video that showcases the incredible tolerances it can achieve:

Printing functional Planetary Gears on my Ultimaker 3D Printer - Assembly w/ Commentary - YouTube

And be sure to check out the Ultimaker user thread with frigging amazing results!

Post your latest print! - Page 28 - Photographs and Films (What have you MADE ?) - Official Ultimaker User Forum

My personal favourite:
http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/880-img-owl-01/
http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/881-img-owl-02/
http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/882-img-owl-03/
http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/883-img-owl-04/

If you have any questions or want a model testprinted let me know.

Last edited:
thank for the detailed response to the 3dprint.... Sounds good. I was asking another 3d printer how much for a 4 inch figure he quoted me over 500.00 I can't afford that so I was like I better put some ideas aside and work on some traditional sculpting but I really do want to see some of my zbrush sculpts printed someday at an affordable rate.

The easiest way to bring down the cost of a model(and the print time) is making it hollow to some degree. While a 100% hollow item might be delicate(depending on plastic type), even printing with as little as 10% infill makes a very sturdy item. The 3 inch Maltese Falcon I printed for demo purposes so the people at work can understand what I'm talking about when I talk about my printer has a 15% fill and can with stand falls, knocks and someone carefully standing on it.

thank for the detailed response to the 3dprint.... Sounds good. I was asking another 3d printer how much for a 4 inch figure he quoted me over 500.00 I can't afford that so I was like I better put some ideas aside and work on some traditional sculpting but I really do want to see some of my zbrush sculpts printed someday at an affordable rate.

Wow that is a lot. Material costs for the Cthulu head were $12, print time was 38 hours on maximum resolution. If I would have optimized a bit further I could get the print time down to 12 hours and the cost to $ 7 by using less infill because the current infill was way too much. I would quote depending on printer demand.

If you'd like I'd love to see if one of your sculpts is printable. I am always looking for quality meshes to test the printer on. I am still learning about it all the time so I don't want to ask money for it yet.

The easiest way to bring down the cost of a model(and the print time) is making it hollow to some degree. While a 100% hollow item might be delicate(depending on plastic type), even printing with as little as 10% infill makes a very sturdy item. The 3 inch Maltese Falcon I printed for demo purposes so the people at work can understand what I'm talking about when I talk about my printer has a 15% fill and can with stand falls, knocks and someone carefully standing on it.

Yea 10% is more than enough. Reason I use a bit more is that it gives a bit of a better internal support to the print so the top doesn't sag into this rectilinear grid pattern.

I am also testing a new way of support structure that works way better than the previous one.

I am looking forward to the painted result of the Cthulu :) .

I definitely would set up a 3d file and optimize so your not spending 3 days on it...wow..I didn't realize it would take that long to print...I have some tutorials on setting up zbrush files for 3d print. Whats the largest dimensions you can print on that machine. Id love to send you a mesh but before that Id like to set up file correctly and paypal you cost of material.

That bust looks great man. i love that you sculpted it in 3d, although why you used something other than Zbrush is bewildering to me ;P did you pick up sculptris to experiment or are you a character artist?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back