OK I'll give you a clue
I couldn't get the right part, which I'm lead to believe was shaped pasta. I made a part in clay (the dark green part), made a mould (the blue part) & then made 8 of them in urethane, they're parts of Bob.
I remember those all over the hands etc... Can't remember them on the head and body but I don't have any good images to look for them either.
Late to the thread but f'n outstanding work so far.Very impressive!!
Those were pasta? LOL! Great to see some news, Leigh.
Now I remember. Well done. Wow this is such a fantastic piece Leigh.
So! Much!! Detail!!! XD
Thanks for the kind words guy's
I've also got a feeling that the lines & dashes on each of the pauldrons are pasta tubes. There are 4 lines & a dash on the left pauldron & 3 lines & a dash on the right one.
This is a great project, your work is outstanding! I found this today and thought it was funny...
"We pulled this thing [the original Alien suit] out of a crate, and it was unbelievable to see how it had been constructed. It had black, hand-painted macaroni pieces glued all over it to give it texture, with black-painted bottle caps at the waist. And the feet were just black Converse tennis shoes, covered with a slip-latex skin! When we got this thing out, put it on a mannequin, and saw it in broad daylight, it was amazing to see what Ridley Scott had gotten away with just by using slime and careful lighting and the right camera angles."
Howard Berger, The Winston Effect, 2006.
This is the most effing amazing thing I've seen in a looooooong time! Sure as hell beats any commercially available Giger Alien head replicas. The base is also outstanding and perfectly compliments the piece. I can't wait to see the finished piece! I bow to you, master!
That is some amazing work! I love the first Alien.
Time for a little update
For some time I havent been 100% happy with the ribbed throat area, both the shape & the finish.
I spent a long time looking at it & playing with photoshop trying different things out to improve the shape but I was a little reluctant to start chopping him up again. After alot more thought & remembering some of the Awesome replies I've had from members here regarding major modifications etc, I decided to get on with it:
I decided I wasnt happy with the way I originally did it with the extractor hose & I thought I'd try doing it another way:
So I started building up a hard board frame & then glued thin card to it to form the basic shape:
I then covered that in Polyester filler & then smoothed it off:
Rather than just gluing cut peices wire on to it I decided to insert them into drilled holes & then glue them. I then filled out the shape & the gaps with a water based air dry clay:
After all that I was happy with the new shape of the throat but having dropped its height it made the whole neck look too chunky, as if Bob was a body building Alien
I realised I needed to drop the height of the neck
So I cut the top of the neck off, then removed a measured amount & glued it back on again:
I removed 3/4" at the front & 1/4" at the rear of the neck & it now sits just right to me
Heres how he looks now:
OUTSTANDING WORK!!!!! This has been one of the BEST threads on the RPF in a long time!!
I've loved seeing this progress into the work of art it is!
You've got some guts to rip out so much hard work to try and get a better finish. Great stuff.
You sir are a perfectionist...I love it!
This is an EPIC build.
Thanks for the kind words guy's
Yeh it is a little scary chopping him up at this stage but I'm happy with the results
I feel the new neck shape works better with the leaning forward pose than how it was before.
I used the Lambert/Alien scene for inspiration, as its the only quality ref pic of the Alien in this leaning forward pose.
Heres a couple of comparison pics:
And that Lambert scene:
This is just AMAZINGLY SICK!!! I'm still in awe how you can take what we remember seeing on screen and give it such clear details that can hold up to the closest of scrutiny. And the overall design and flow of the bust down to the details on the base ... by far the best interpretation I've seen.
Very Well Done
OH... MY... GOD!
i 100% agree with all that was said just above... Beautiful work once again ! (I would never have had the guts to re-start the neck at this stage)
Hats off sir !
I'm continually amazed at the on going mods and improvements you're making along the way. I love your 'I wont settle' because it's already been done attitude towards your sculpt...and it continues to be better and better because of it. Loving your documentation too.
Thanks for the great feedback Guy's
With the modifications to the neck I also have to redo the underside of the jaw. While I'm at it I'm making the fillet, which will ultimately be made of rubber & removable for access to the jaw hinges.
I've used Fred's (SKIN JOB 66) reference he kindly donated & fitted 17 ribs on the underside of the jaw, there are 22 on the neck.
I've used a similar process to that used on the neck, So I'm just waiting for the air dry clay to harden & I can sand & paint it