Now if you'd just move to the US.
Now if you'd just move to the US.
That is so nice Leigh!
That has to be the best Alien bust i've seen.
Thank you for the kind words folks
Clutch, I dont think they'd let me in
I've been busy, I wasnt 100% happy with the rear end underside.
So I pulled it appart & rebuilt it
It was mostly the two pipes that run from the pumps either side, underneath to the back, they needed lowering & the area's either side of the pipes needed reshaping.
Hopefully you can see the difference here:
I've also been reshaping, smoothing & texturing some other area's:
& lastly, your thoughts on the wrinkles? I quite like them but I'm not sure they need to be there & do they look ok sculpture wise??
That is so freaking perfect. If Giger had had the time needed, he would have tried to make the details as perfect as you have Leigh.
Wow, that's coming along really well Leigh. IMHO I think the wrinkles add to the realism. You've achieved such a good effect with the texturing it blows me away.
That thing needs to be cast in bronze and put in the Giger museum!
I can believe how much detail this have, nice work
Love the wrinkles.
Keep the wrinkles. Gives a bit more organic feel to it
LOVE The wrinkles!
Also pro-wrinkles. It is what would have been done back then if it hadn't been the dawn of animatronics, and *would* be done now, and nothing will ever make this the ACTUAL filming prop...so why not improve on it? Am blown away yet again...
Please keep the wrinkles! Still love this,just can't believe you still find room for improvements on an already perfect piece,IMO!
Projects like these are what keep me making the things i do. Simply amazing. I totally understand how a just for fun project can turn into something extreme and to bumb it up a couple levels. If your anything like me then some days you love it and some days you want to drop kick it across the room You should be very proud of your work. you are an artist.
Pro wrinkles here too! Definitely adds to the bio - mechanoid look. This is such an awesome piece......
Wrinkles FTW ^^
Just don't go ape-sh#t on the wrinkles. A fine line it is between faithful rendition and stylized interpretation.
Many thanks for the kind words & support
I dont know about "Artist" I feel like I need some sort of qualification before I get to be an Artist
I've been busy the last couple of days. I'm pretty much done with the texturing, I've used caulking on the small convoluted pipes the run the length of his head in an effort to reduce the depth of the detail a bit. This will hopefully reduce the potential bubbles forming in the casting without loosing detail. Basicly I've just got to sort out the spines on the top of his head & then I'm going to give the whole thing a coat of that grey enamel. It sticks quite well to the clay & it will give the whole thing a uniform finish. Once its all grey, its ready for moulding, well the head is
I'll post some detailed pics once it grey
Heres a couple of better pic's of the wrinkles, this is as far I've gone with them & there only in this area both sides:
I think they're quite subtle really & by the time theres a couple of layers of paint on it all they will hopefully just notice on a close inspection
Looks good to me!
I think I've lost track of what sculpting materials your using. What's made of what at this point? So many different things going on with this beasty's construction.
Hardboard for the armature, Inulation foam for the bulk of the shape, that was all held together with wooden sticks, super glue & PVA glue. Then theres car body filler, miliput & a Das type clay. Theres stainless steel in the top jaw/roof of mouth, green putty, polyurethane plastic, various wire/cable, rubber & plastic convoluted tubing & Newplast clay. Thats just in the head & jaw
Edit: oops, I forgot the two rubber door stops & the Ikea kitchen door handle spacers
Oh & the caulking (builders flexible filler)
In fact, if I had thought about it earlier I could have used an upturned kitchen sink for the base
Last edited by Leigh; May 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
I've spent the last two days re-sculpting the spines. I had to bend them all up a bit to caulk the convoluted tubing & I wasn't happy with the shape of the side parts of the spines anyway. I also needed to extend them all the way to the back again after I removed them at the rear to re-shape the back of the head.
Heres the result:
I'm quite happy with them now
All I've got to do before moulding is a very light rub down on some of the hard area's & then one all over coat of paint
I thought I was a perfectionist.....geez.....
Just kidding,this looks fantastic!