data-ad-slot="9190093430">
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Ohio
    Dec 3, 2012, 8:49 AM - Alternative for Perma-wet on Latex? #1

I don't really want to spend $14 on a tiny bottle of Perma-wet for a mask, is there any other cheaper alternatives that are safe for use on Latex?
  2. data-ad-slot="2990628231">
    data-ad-slot="5944094636">
    From
    HOLLYWOOD CA
    Dec 3, 2012, 9:08 AM - #2

Matte medium or gloss medium sold at your art supply store... Thinned with water.. It works just fine
  4. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Ohio
    Dec 3, 2012, 9:13 AM - Re: Alternative for Perma-wet on Latex? #3

It won't crack or anything over time?
  5. Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Dec 3, 2012, 10:13 AM - Re: Alternative for Perma-wet on Latex? #4

You can Make perma wet and it's much cheaper. it is simply casting latex mixed with water based polyurathane that you get at home depot (satin works best for me) mix it 50/50 and BAM!! you have perma wet and its much cheaper.

I HOPE THIS HELPS.

Matt
    featureeffects.com
  6. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Ohio
    Dec 3, 2012, 10:37 AM - Re: Alternative for Perma-wet on Latex? #5

Thanks! I'll look into that.
  7. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Ohio
    Dec 3, 2012, 11:51 AM - Re: Alternative for Perma-wet on Latex? #6

Another question, can you use wood stain on a Latex mask? Would that work?
    From
    HOLLYWOOD CA
    Dec 3, 2012, 1:52 PM - Re: Alternative for Perma-wet on Latex? #7

I just used the matte medium on some prop heads that we did for Cabin Fever 3. they got beat the hell up..but there is no cracking or compromising to the paint at all. The poly method works great too ..we tend to use that on our display pieces. As for the wood stain? as a sealer ..or just to add color? I'd use inks over prosaide ..safer and will yield the same effect if you are going for color
    From
    Atlanta,Georgia
    Dec 3, 2012, 2:17 PM - Re: Alternative for Perma-wet on Latex? #8

Any oil stains will break down latex. Stay away from that! Same reason that oil from your skin degrades it over time.
    I like to use Rosco clear gloss on latex, but that's not the cheapest. If you only need a small amount, any good flexible gloss acrylic will do. Triple Thick glaze ( same gloss acrylic, but thicker) is awesome too.
  10. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    2 Weeks Ago  Apr 5, 2014, 12:57 AM - Re: Alternative for Perma-wet on Latex? #9

ptgreek said: View Post
    Matte medium or gloss medium sold at your art supply store... Thinned with water.. It works just fine
    I know that this is an old thread, bought I've got questions:

I read this thread the other day and went out a bought a bottle of matte medium.
    When I opened it up, it is white/opaque.
    I would expect it to be clear/transparent if it's going to be used for creating a clear finish over a painted latex mask.

I saw someone up-thread say that you could make your own Perma-Wet with liquid latex and water base urethane, so that sounds white/opaque as well. Having never seen nor used Perma-Wet before, I'm not sure what I should expect to see.

Did I buy the wrong stuff? Is there such a thing as "clear matte medium"?
    If so, google ain't finding it for me.
    If I bought the right stuff (Liquitex Matte Medium Artistic Acrylic), does it dry clear? What ratio should I mix it with water?

Thanks, from the newb.
  11. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    2 Weeks Ago  Apr 5, 2014, 1:47 PM - Re: Alternative for Perma-wet on Latex? #10

no worries, it dries clear
  12. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    2 Weeks Ago  Apr 5, 2014, 4:10 PM - Re: Alternative for Perma-wet on Latex? #11

I've sealed four latex masks with Liquitex Matte Medium Artist Acrylic in the past month and it works great. Although a milky white, it definitely dries clear. I mixed it with up to 25% distilled water, per the label, before running it through my airbrush.

My paint ups were all matte and I wanted to keep them that way and the Liquitex was the answer.

And just a head's up, two of my paint ups were on Frankenstein masks and I used a metallic acrylic paint on just the bolts and the Liquitex DID NOT kill their sheen.

Hope this helps someone!

~Blue
  13. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    2 Weeks Ago  Apr 5, 2014, 5:41 PM - Re: Alternative for Perma-wet on Latex? #12

Thanks, Buzzkill and Ragman. It did dry clear.
    I like the way it turned out.