Wild, Wild West...just how many gadgets DID Jim have?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Every Sunday morning we always pull out box sets of vintage TV. This morning it was Wild, Wild, West. Did anyone love this show as much as me? :love It was James Bond in the wild west!
So how many gadgets did Jim usually carry? Of course there's his hidden darringer. Then there's he lockpick in his lapel, throwing knife in the neck of his coat, bullets in his buckle, bomb in his heel. I know he had more than this as Artie acted as his "Q".
Can we add more to that?

knife in the toe of the boot
Boot heel had plastic explosive
He had a pulley with handle, for sliding down a cable (lots of those in the old west)
a vial of acid for eating through iron bars
a small cutting torch, sometimes hidden inside a cigar.

As if I hadn't thought Will Smith sucked it up enough, we go down memory lane.

I LOVED that show as a kid! I watched it every week. Jim West and James T. Kirk! My childhood hero's! :lol

The two "Jims" were my heroes too. LOL
To think a Trek time travel episode could have united them! Damn.

One of my favorites was the steam powered "Juggernaut" episode.
I was so pissed as a kid they never offered a model of it.

PDVD_000-2.jpg

Holy carp! Wiki scores!

The Wild Wild West featured numerous gadgets. Some were recurring devices, such as James' sleeve gun or breakaway derringer hidden in his left and right boot heels. Others only appeared in a single episode.
Most of these gadgets are concealed in West's garments:
  • Sleeve gun (a Remington derringer, featured in many episodes). In a few episodes the ejecting support-arm of the device had other useful gadgets attached to it instead of the derringer, such as a tiny squirt-can containing acid, iron climbing-claws, and various blades.
  • Lock-pick in the lapel of the bolero-style jacket.
  • Throwing knife in the collar of the jacket.
  • Various explosive devices fitted in the jacket's lining, inside his belt (and its buckle), and a secret compartment in his holster.
  • A flat metal barbed climbing-spike and a thin, but strong attachable rope or cord that could be shot into a wooden beam or wall from either his derringer or revolver.
  • A small hand-held rod with a built-in spring-loaded motor-driven winch. When used in conjunction with his climbing-spike and rope, the rod-winch can either hoist him upwards to a building's roof, for instance, or lower him into a deep pit, the distance depending on the length of rope deployed.
  • An ejecting knife-blade in his boot, just between the outer sole and toe-box of the boot.
  • Extra bullets in his belt buckle.
  • A thin, but extremely strong wire flexible enough to be coiled and fitted in the inner lining of the crown of his hat; the wire has multiple uses, and is also capable of sawing through a steel bar.
  • Breakaway derringer (featured in numerous episodes). Usually the handle and trigger mechanism is located in the hollowed-out heel of one boot, while the barrel assembly is located in the other boot's hollowed-out heel; the two pieces snap together and lock. Often bullets for this breakaway derringer are dispensed from a secret compartment in his belt-buckle.
  • A wad of plastic explosive in the hollow heel of one boot; the fuse attached to the hem of his jacket.
  • A break-away blow-torch, each piece hidden in each hollowed-out boot heel.
  • A battery-powered electric drill, roughly the size of a large avocado, used to effect West's escape from a metal cage.
Aboard the train:
  • Two pistols on a wooden swivel-stand on desk, activated and controlled by a knob on the fireplace.
  • The fireplace conceals a secret escape door and an emergency flare signal.
  • Several pistols, a few rifles, shotguns, and other assorted weaponry hidden behind a sliding wall-panel behind the map at one end of the railway car.
  • A shotgun hidden under a revolving table-top.
  • Cages for carrier pigeons hidden in the walls.
Other gadgets:
  • Exploding billiard ball (usually the cue ball, but not always; featured in pilot episode).
  • Cue stick that has a hidden sword inside (featured in pilot episode).
  • Cue stick that can shoot a bullet (featured in pilot episode).
  • Stage coach with ejector-seat (featured in "The Night the Wizard Shook the Earth").
  • A telegraph mechanism in a cane.
  • A blow torch disguised as a cigar.
The villains often used equally creative gadgets, including:
  • An earthquake making device.
  • A brainwashing device using intense sight and sound.
  • A cyborg, i.e., a man who replaced much of his flesh and bone with metal, making him strong and nearly invulnerable.
  • An early flamethrower.
  • Man-sized steam-driven puppets.
  • Jars that could preserve disembodied human brains and draw upon their knowledge and psychic force.
  • The Juggernaut, a steam-powered triangular tank with a barbed tip.
  • A potion, made from liquified diamond, which enabled a man to move so fast as to be invisible.
  • An LSD-like hallucinogen, capable of driving men into fits of killing madness.
  • A television.
  • A torpedo disguised as a dragon and capable of homing on a radio signal.
  • An invisible electronic force field that disintegrates anything that came in contact with it.
  • A drug capable of shrinking a man down to a height of 6".
  • A suit of armor that acted as an exo-skeleton.
  • A tidal wave-making device that generated giant bubbles.
  • A sonic device that allowed the use of paintings as a portal to other dimensions.
  • Crystals that, when surgically implanted inside the brain and then shattered by a high-pitched noise, caused the subject to turn into a criminal.
  • A giant falcon-shaped cannon, capable of devastating a small town with a single shot.
  • A giant tuning fork device mounted on wheels.
  • A locomotive modified to collide with oncoming trains and derail them.

Last edited by a moderator:
(I never get to derail Threads, so endulge me)

Everyone knows the most awesome guys are always named James/Jim...

James Bond
James Kirk
Jim Rockford
Jim West
King James
Jimmy Stewart
Jim Morrison
Jim Henson
Jim Bowie
James Brown
James Cagney
James Dean
James Earl Jones
James George Janos (Jesse Ventura)
James Doohan
Jesse James (the cowboy, not the motorcycle)
Jim Carey

They're taking a stab at adapting one of my graphic novels for film, and the screenwriter changed the main character's name from Don to Jim. "I don't care," I said, "but I'm just curious as to why you're swapping names."

"Jim is a better name," said the screenwriter.

So I can add some anecdotal evidence in there for you. :)

dont forget how powerful that Deringer was: It deadly accuracy at 30 yards, could drive a piton into concrete from 50 yards.

It is even funnier when you consider the fact that the Remington derringer in .41 rim fire was a very weak round. Robert Conrad said that the piton would travel about four feet at most, then fall straight to the floor.

There was an episode that took place in a health spa. They knocked West out and stripped him, placing all of his gadgets on a bench, completely covering the bench. The villain picks up a gadget, then drops it stating: "Its a wonder he didn't clank when he walked"!

A great show.

David.

James cawley purchsed the rights to make new episodes of the WWW. Not sure if it's internet only. I understand he's already started construction on the sets.

Go back and watch the first few episodes. I think he uses his full name as James Tiberius West :confused I turned to my wife and mentioned he could have been a long lost relative of Kirk :lol

In the book on the tv series they mention that the WWW was suppose to be an ensemble show about four agents named for the four points of the compass. They would each operate in the section of the country with their name. Before Robert Conrad, Rory Calhoun was suppose to play James West, they even filmed wardrobe tests with him.

Useless facts. In the opening credits for the first couple of seasons, they showed the animated West punching a woman with a knife. In the tv series West never struck a woman. All episodes were titled, The Night of _____.

David.

(I never get to derail Threads, so endulge me)

Everyone knows the most awesome guys are always named James/Jim...

James Bond
James Kirk
Jim Rockford
Jim West
King James
Jimmy Stewart
Jim Morrison
Jim Henson
Jim Bowie
James Brown
James Cagney
James Dean
James Earl Jones
James George Janos (Jesse Ventura)
James Doohan
Jesse James (the cowboy, not the motorcycle)
Jim Carey

You forgot yourself. You always have to put your name on the list. It's the rules.

I had never seen this show, owing to the fact that I was born in the late '70s, I think. But after reading this thread, I jumped on YouTube and watched the Night of the Vicious Valentine.

I must say, I'm hooked! I shall be picking this up, I think. Thanks!

Does anyone have pics from the show of the dropdown US map in the sideboard with the guns and and rifles behind it, and the books with the hidden telegraph inside?

knife in the toe of the boot
Boot heel had plastic explosive
He had a pulley with handle, for sliding down a cable (lots of those in the old west)
a vial of acid for eating through iron bars
a small cutting torch, sometimes hidden inside a cigar.
Hello Do You know in which episodes this knife at the tip of the boots appears? Many, many thxxxx

Oh my gosh, there were several.
LOL! I just realized I started this thread before the birth of my son…and he’s TEN! He just started watching this with me last month. During the first episode, he turned to me and said, and I quote: “Wait, wait, wait. Is this James Bond as a cowboy?”

Holy carp! Wiki scores!

The Wild Wild West featured numerous gadgets. Some were recurring devices, such as James' sleeve gun or breakaway derringer hidden in his left and right boot heels. Others only appeared in a single episode.
Most of these gadgets are concealed in West's garments:
  • Sleeve gun (a Remington derringer, featured in many episodes). In a few episodes the ejecting support-arm of the device had other useful gadgets attached to it instead of the derringer, such as a tiny squirt-can containing acid, iron climbing-claws, and various blades.
  • Lock-pick in the lapel of the bolero-style jacket.
  • Throwing knife in the collar of the jacket.
  • Various explosive devices fitted in the jacket's lining, inside his belt (and its buckle), and a secret compartment in his holster.
  • A flat metal barbed climbing-spike and a thin, but strong attachable rope or cord that could be shot into a wooden beam or wall from either his derringer or revolver.
  • A small hand-held rod with a built-in spring-loaded motor-driven winch. When used in conjunction with his climbing-spike and rope, the rod-winch can either hoist him upwards to a building's roof, for instance, or lower him into a deep pit, the distance depending on the length of rope deployed.
  • An ejecting knife-blade in his boot, just between the outer sole and toe-box of the boot.
  • Extra bullets in his belt buckle.
  • A thin, but extremely strong wire flexible enough to be coiled and fitted in the inner lining of the crown of his hat; the wire has multiple uses, and is also capable of sawing through a steel bar.
  • Breakaway derringer (featured in numerous episodes). Usually the handle and trigger mechanism is located in the hollowed-out heel of one boot, while the barrel assembly is located in the other boot's hollowed-out heel; the two pieces snap together and lock. Often bullets for this breakaway derringer are dispensed from a secret compartment in his belt-buckle.
  • A wad of plastic explosive in the hollow heel of one boot; the fuse attached to the hem of his jacket.
  • A break-away blow-torch, each piece hidden in each hollowed-out boot heel.
  • A battery-powered electric drill, roughly the size of a large avocado, used to effect West's escape from a metal cage.
Aboard the train:
  • Two pistols on a wooden swivel-stand on desk, activated and controlled by a knob on the fireplace.
  • The fireplace conceals a secret escape door and an emergency flare signal.
  • Several pistols, a few rifles, shotguns, and other assorted weaponry hidden behind a sliding wall-panel behind the map at one end of the railway car.
  • A shotgun hidden under a revolving table-top.
  • Cages for carrier pigeons hidden in the walls.
Other gadgets:
  • Exploding billiard ball (usually the cue ball, but not always; featured in pilot episode).
  • Cue stick that has a hidden sword inside (featured in pilot episode).
  • Cue stick that can shoot a bullet (featured in pilot episode).
  • Stage coach with ejector-seat (featured in "The Night the Wizard Shook the Earth").
  • A telegraph mechanism in a cane.
  • A blow torch disguised as a cigar.
The villains often used equally creative gadgets, including:
  • An earthquake making device.
  • A brainwashing device using intense sight and sound.
  • A cyborg, i.e., a man who replaced much of his flesh and bone with metal, making him strong and nearly invulnerable.
  • An early flamethrower.
  • Man-sized steam-driven puppets.
  • Jars that could preserve disembodied human brains and draw upon their knowledge and psychic force.
  • The Juggernaut, a steam-powered triangular tank with a barbed tip.
  • A potion, made from liquified diamond, which enabled a man to move so fast as to be invisible.
  • An LSD-like hallucinogen, capable of driving men into fits of killing madness.
  • A television.
  • A torpedo disguised as a dragon and capable of homing on a radio signal.
  • An invisible electronic force field that disintegrates anything that came in contact with it.
  • A drug capable of shrinking a man down to a height of 6".
  • A suit of armor that acted as an exo-skeleton.
  • A tidal wave-making device that generated giant bubbles.
  • A sonic device that allowed the use of paintings as a portal to other dimensions.
  • Crystals that, when surgically implanted inside the brain and then shattered by a high-pitched noise, caused the subject to turn into a criminal.
  • A giant falcon-shaped cannon, capable of devastating a small town with a single shot.
  • A giant tuning fork device mounted on wheels.
  • A locomotive modified to collide with oncoming trains and derail them.
Hello Do You know in which episodes this knife at the tip of the boots appears? Many, many thxxxx
Oh my gosh, there were several.
LOL! I just realized I started this thread before the birth of my son…and he’s TEN! He just started watching this with me last month. During the first episode, he turned to me and said, and I quote: “Wait, wait, wait. Is this James Bond as a cowboy?”
thank you very much for your interest.

In fact, I'm looking for a fil I saw in my youth (70s-80s) in which a man and a woman are tied by ropes to a sort of large wooden wheel suspended from the ceiling, like a chandelier. The man manages to free himself precisely because of the blades hidden in his shoes.

On another blog, someone tells me that it is in the series "The Wild Wide West" Serie. can you confirm ? and if so, in which episode ?

Many, many Thxxx

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back