Whedon talks Firefly Kickstarter

I'd be happy with the animated series they hinted at during the Reunion show - provided it was done right!

While he said there won't be a movie soon, he didn't say there wouldn't be a movie. So, hope remains.

Yeah, I gotta say, I rather doubt there'll ever be a film or TV show of Firefly/Serenity again. I could see the story continuing in comic book form, or possibly an animated series or something, but not an actual film or live action show.

Plus, to be honest, I'd bet that Joss' focus and priorities have simply...moved on. It's been 8 years, folks. 8 years since Serenity, which was 3 years post-production on the show. The cast is involved in other projects now that require a lot of their time. Much as I'm sure they'd love to do it -- and I do believe they would love to -- I think they've all just kinda moved on with their lives.

You might as well sit around wishing for a Blake's Seven kickstarter-funded film.

Joss has been saying that even if they were allowed to make more Firefly, all the actors have been attached to other things. There's certainly an element of the cast and crew 'moving on', but that's not to say that they wouldn't come back if the right people were available for it.

If there were a chance for it to come back I'd be too afraid of Firefly being bad some how. Firefly ended on a good note so let it be and I'm a HUGE fan.

As far as animated, I'm on the fence. Maybe an animated in the same 'verse or spin off.

If there were a chance for it to come back I'd be too afraid of Firefly being bad some how. Firefly ended on a good note so let it be and I'm a HUGE fan.

As far as animated, I'm on the fence. Maybe an animated in the same 'verse or spin off.

That's kind of why I'd prefer novels or comics. I can "ignore" those easier than I can a film or show, even an animated show.

Plus, I don't trust Joss to not do his typical "See those two lovebirds over there? I'm gonna kill one of 'em" thing. That particular schtick has grown VERY tedious to me. It was revolutionary FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. Now it's old hat.

I think this is one of the most important things he said:

"And of course, there’s the other fear: What if it’s not that good? I can do something that’s not that good — that’s fine. But if I do that and it’s not that good, I’m going to feel really stupid.”

What if, four years from now, they DID manage to get together and try again and it just went all... Phantom Menace.

I'd love to see it revived somehow, but not at any cost and the comics just don't do it for me- not even if they were penned by the man himself. So much of Firefly was the actors that it just doesn't work otherwise.

I'd love to see a cartoon. I'm sure they could pull a clone wars and set it between the last episode of firefly and serenity, especially since it would allow Wash and Shepherd Book to come back.

I see the point he is making. Besides being a huge Firefly fan, I am also a huge fan of Doctor Who, and one of the best things they had going while that show was off the air, were the audio plays done by a company called Big Finish.

I believe that Firefly would be greatly suited for an adaptation to audio plays, as it was always a show that was about the characters more than anything else.

It also has the advantage that it would cost less to make, take less time to make and even though the actors may have aged physically, they will still sound the same as they did when they were making the show.

Besides, we all know, audio plays have the best locations! :p

I would love too see it revived, I dont want to let it go, I have always loved the actors and the humor with the storylines , so I for one , would like to see it come together for one last time and finish what they started........

I'd love to see a cartoon. I'm sure they could pull a clone wars and set it between the last episode of firefly and serenity, especially since it would allow Wash and Shepherd Book to come back.

Were they to revive the series in some fashion, I'd rather they move beyond Serenity, to be honest. Show what happened next. Whedon has been mining the whole "between Firefly and Serenity" timeperiod for a few years now in the comics, and it's gotten to a point where I can't help but think they've run out of time between the two. It's all covered already.

Besides, don't you want to see what comes after Serenity? What if you got cool new characters and got to see the existing ones develop further? Merely recycling what happened before to recapture the same vibe is a fruitless effort, in my opinion. Not to mention the fact that, artistically speaking, it completely undermines what Whedon was trying to do with both Book and Wash's deaths -- namely have them be meaningful. If you keep bringing them back by never leaving the time period when they were alive, then their deaths are totally pointless from a storytelling perspective. They just become manipulative emotional beats in the film -- which they are already, but at least they also have the POTENTIAL to be more than that if you move forward.

This is my go-to response for the "revive Firefly" discussions:

Let it go - YouTube

Yeah, but in truth, you can apply that same logic to just about all old, resurrected properties. Let's do another Ghostbusters movie! Let's do more Star Wars! Let's do more Indiana Jones! Let's do more of all the stuff that's already been done before?

Or we could LET IT GO.

Thing is, much as I rant about this, I'm sure there are properties that I can come up with where if someone said "Did you hear they greenlit a sequel to that?" I'd be enthused. Actually they announced a sequel to Super Troopers, and even though I kind of suspect it'll be garbage, I'm still kind of excited about it.

I would love too see it revived, I dont want to let it go, I have always loved the actors and the humor with the storylines , so I for one , would like to see it come together for one last time and finish what they started........

If there's one thing I've learned from the Aliens, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Highlander, and Matrix franchises, it is this simple truth:

More is not always better. More can sometimes be much, much worse.

I think the only reason Doctor Who works as a resurrected property is because the resurrection is built into the character. But I also find it kind of weak and redundant now. The peril gets solved via a wacky macguffin every time, so I never feel terribly invested in the thing. Plus, the Angels have been revisited enough now that they're no longer creepy to me. Like the Borg... Oh look, them again.

I'm jaded. LOL

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back