Unaired pilot Big Bang Theory...it would have killed the show!

I think the problem with that unaired pilot is that they got the intelligent educated aspect of the characters, but sorely missed on the geek culture aspect. It doesn't work if we can't relate on the personal geek side of things.

I saw this a while back and was very glad they went with a fresher type of female in the Penny character. The jaded over-sexed girl is just so repetitive; every show has one, and a non-sexual Sheldon is very funny and entirely unique. It would really have been a shame to have never experienced Wolowitz and Raj also.

And the "perky, dumb, over-sexed blonde" is 'fresh'? I felt the un-aired version added something to the group, where Penny is just there for the guys to drool over. In the unaired version, Leonard wanted to help because he saw her crying. In the aired version, Leonard introduced himself because Penny was hot.

I loved the scene where the woman draws on Leonard's board. I thought her explaining things to Leonard showed some level of intelligence. She at least graduated high school math. One wonders how our Penny is able to add up people's bills.

I REALLY liked the un-aired version, and here's why:

- They wear clothes people actually wear (instead of the Hipster-throw-it-together look).
- I liked the toned-down atmosphere (vs. the comic book style in the show)
- I liked that Leonard had more character in this one - he wasn't some hand-wringing stereotype. He had confidence and was more believable as a researcher working for a university.
- I LOVED the balance of male/female. The proto-Amy was a good addition and I think it would have been an interesting relationship between her and the 'outsider' (not-Penny).
- Not-Penny was a far more interesting character than Penny is (explained above).
- I like there was more balance on Sheldon - he was smart, but not arrogantly so, he actually seemed to care about the friendship between him and Leonard - Leonard wasn't there just because Sheldon couldn't afford the rent himself. For all the differences, he was still Sheldon - I think this shows he doesn't need to be so completely self-absorved and arrogant to be funny. In our series, they can never successfully answer the question of WHY anybody hangs around with him.

Leonard... WAY better.

The rest... NO.

Anyone have a link to a QuickTime version?

Can't watch WHOLE ep on YouTube.

- I like there was more balance on Sheldon - he was smart, but not arrogantly so, he actually seemed to care about the friendship between him and Leonard - Leonard wasn't there just because Sheldon couldn't afford the rent himself. For all the differences, he was still Sheldon - I think this shows he doesn't need to be so completely self-absorved and arrogant to be funny. In our series, they can never successfully answer the question of WHY anybody hangs around with him.

Someone mentioned that what makes these characters so unique and appealing is that they personify so many of the geeky qualities a lot of us have, or embody the characteristics of people we know and love. If they were more 'normal', there would be nothing extraordinary about the show.

Sheldon appears to be self-absorbed because he has classic symptoms of Asbergers Syndrome. There are varying degrees of this and many 'geeky' types exhibit some form of this. They are all lovable because they are eccentric in some way, not because they blend into the general population.

I couldn't get through any more of this than I can the aired show. Sheldon irritates me immediately and thoroughly. Guess I just don't grok the actor/his approach.

The girl was way to trashy for my taste....the ditsy version of Penny was much less intense and less imposing.

It is surprising how different the show could have been...

...glad that they went with the format that they chose.

Someone mentioned that what makes these characters so unique and appealing is that they personify so many of the geeky qualities a lot of us have, or embody the characteristics of people we know and love. If they were more 'normal', there would be nothing extraordinary about the show.

Sheldon appears to be self-absorbed because he has classic symptoms of Asbergers Syndrome. There are varying degrees of this and many 'geeky' types exhibit some form of this. They are all lovable because they are eccentric in some way, not because they blend into the general population.

You don't have to have a personality disorder to be eccentric or lovable. Like I said, this Shldon managed to be rid of the over-the-top smug ******* and still be what essentially made him Sheldon.

SOMEtimes his ego can give us funny moments, but most of the time it's more annoying than funny. What makes Sheldon funny is his general aloofness - how he knows the mysteries of the mathematical universe, but can't grasp a simple social convention like exchanging gifts.

I guess the main difference for me is that this unaired pilot showed me something I could laugh WITH instead of laugh AT.

For the record, I DO agree with most others on here that it probably wouldn't have done as well with a general audience - I just like this version much more.

This pilot felt a bit less insulting. I prefer Sheldon as a slightly more normal, but still inept character. Maybe it's just because I'm currently forced to live with a complete *****, but his character in the series annoys the crap out of me. I do prefer Penny though, and Raj and Howard are an improvement.

I couldn't get through any more of this than I can the aired show. Sheldon irritates me immediately and thoroughly. Guess I just don't grok the actor/his approach.

Maybe it's just because I'm currently forced to live with a complete *****, but his character in the series annoys the crap out of me. I do prefer Penny though, and Raj and Howard are an improvement.

Oh thank god, you guys. I thought I was a minority of one. I HATE that character! I think it's really down to him, he's so unwatchable he kills the show for me. I'd like to like it, I *do* like 'The IT Crowd', but...Sheldon, ugh. How can anyone stand to watch him? :lol

Scapey, you are a bad man. :p

Yip, Leonard was a stronger character, Sheldon was a wishy washy version of the Sheldon we have come to love and hate(which ever camp you fall in)
Kate/Penny ended up right in the series, and all I can say about then Nerd Girl(Gilda?) is lets see her in a Princess Leia slave costume

I just recently got into this show and after watching this pilot, glad they changed it. This pilot seems off the mark on a lot of things including tone. I don't consider myself a prude, but I found the whole sex/masturbation plot way too open and out spoken, and I did not care for the trashy/***** Katie character. With a background like that, it's hard to like her. I did laugh, so it wasn't all that bad.

I've seen this unaired pilot before and did not really care for it.

I will have to admit I am undeniably hooked on this show. It encompasses at least 50% of all my tv watching. I can watch the same episode 5 times in a row and still enjoy every second of it every time. Best tv show since ST:TNG.

And thanks to Kaley Cuoco my drool/slobber glands are in the best shape they have ever been in my entire life!!!:love That thing that connects her legs to her back--GYUD GYOD!!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back