Terminator: Genisys

re: Terminator 5 (Reboot)

Yes, Reese's Future War has been a dream of mine since I saw the first movie. With each subsequent sequel it became less and less possible because they kept building on the crap from the previous movie and so on, further and further away from the original. What Reese tells about is enough to fill three movies.

A post apocalyptic survival movie where no one knows what's going on and what happened - a lot of angst and anxiety and wild rumors and anger and apathy. Then the machines start showing up - at first people hearing about it don't believe it - but they are rounded up and put into camps. This is basically Book of Eli crossed with any WW2 concentration camp movie.

Second one could be the beginning of the resistance, where they fight back and storm the wires and start actively waging war on the HK machines.

Third one is the final build-up and battle to storm Skynet to end the war and send Reese back. It isn't until this one that we see Terminators start popping up. First as the rubber skinned 600 series that takes everyone by surprise, then later as the 800 series that is impossible to spot without dogs.

The reason no movie studio has the balls to do this... it's too dark, it's too "realistic", it's too gritty, it follows what Reese said in T1 - a writer might feel constrained by following plotlines that everybody know (except, just hire a ******* writer who's used to write book adaptions and write movie scripts about real events where the story is already known - the excuse is just LAZY! Hey... just look at Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit - it CAN be done) + it won't have terminators until the third movie.

I just wish the rumor that Annapurna Pictures are considering starting from scratch, rebooting the whole thing, is false. There's just no need for it. All the sequels are just alternate timelines... so there's no reason to reboot... just stick with the T1 timeline and don't get idiotic creative and have terminator caddies and Skynet that KNOWS Kyle Reese is John Connor's father. PUKE.

I just finished reading S M Stirling's 3 novels that take place after T2. Not perfect and some scenes and plot lines wouldn't work on film but the books were better than anything in T3 and T:S.

I would like to see Arnie in T5, as long as it can be done well, I don't want to see him as The Terminator because in terms of the appearance of the first T-800, he looks bad, he cannot look like that again unless he was heavily CG'd and whilst I liked the Salvation bit, I think any more than that would've been a stretch too far.

it won't have terminators until the third movie.

No Mr.Garlic!! We need T-800's!

One thing I loved about Salvation was the different set pieces that were there solely for the entrance of a Terminator along with the creative ways used to kill them.

Those things are damned creepy. The T-600 was especially creepy:eek

Plus we're too far into the series to not show Terminators anymore:unsure

No Mr.Garlic!! We need T-800's!

One thing I loved about Salvation was the different set pieces that were there solely for the entrance of a Terminator along with the creative ways used to kill them.

Those things are damned creepy. The T-600 was especially creepy:eek

Plus we're too far into the series to not show Terminators anymore:unsure
Reese said they were new. You don't call something more than a year old new in war. Just not gonna happen.

The T-600 was stupid looking. Sorry, it just looked like a fanboy 80's caricature Marvel superhero machine - big and bulky and stupid.

And it's not to no longer showing terminators. It's building up the drama until they are revealed. But I'm afraid you are right. We'll never get the Future War as Reese described it.

I'm hoping that he's a soldier who gets captured and they model 800s off him, using the humans' biggest guy advantage against them. I'm no machine but it would be a good strategy to use haha.

Am I the only Terminator fan who does not want to see a movie devoted to the future war? A few minutes of it is fine but not a whole movie.

A good movie is possible in theory but it's not gonna happen IMHO. Not from mainstream Hollywood with the Terminator franchise at this stage. Can you imagine trying to tell a studio & producers you want to continue a tentpole summer franchise movie, set in an epic future war with giant machines trying to exterminate the human race . . . and you want it to be a tense mature character-driven thing first and foremost?

This has become a blockbuster-sized franchise. Remember "Matrix"#3? Remember all the "Transformers" movies? We would almost surely get a boring CGI-fest if they tried to depict a subject like that. Jim Cameron might have been able to deliver the right future war movie the 1980s but it won't happen from a different set of producers in 2013.

Once again - I'm not saying a good future/war/machines movie is impossible. Just very improbable. In 2013 that subject matter cries out for a 1st-person-shooter video game, not a quality theatrical movie. I'd rather stick to seeing that epic war in measured doses during smaller movies.

Same with adult John Connor himself, too. How could anything they do with him live up to the expectations? He's a biblical messiah savior figure. I don't wanna see any whole movies centered on him; it would never live up. He should never have gotten any more major screen time after the second Terminator movie IMHO.

Last edited:

imgres

Can we please have Summer Glau in it ? That would be a treat.

Same with adult John Connor himself, too. How could anything they do with him live up to the expectations? He's a biblical messiah savior figure. I don't wanna see any whole movies centered on him; it would never live up. He should never have gotten any more major screen time after the second Terminator movie IMHO.
A good writer and director would be able to bring out a very compelling story of that - the legend and the man kind of deal. "Bad" writers and directors, like we've seen with anything post Cameron just cannot bring anything of that magnitude and deep spiritual and existential drama to the screen. This is a story of someone whose whole future is spelled out for him from before he's born and how he deals with it.

Personally, he really should be in the periphery and not the main focus character. This is a guy who knows his fate, so there's no way he'll walk around advertizing it. He may even move around incognito and only ever really revealing his name to Kyle Reese - never give the enemy the means to be able to track him down. He knows what will happen once the machines learns his name - that they will send back a terminator to kill his mom - so he could fight to protect the name with a passion, hoping to prevent the machines of ever knowing, but his exploits gains notoriety and the name begins to take on a meaning of hope and awe for people, so things sorta spiral from there.

I always got the sense of the reluctant hero rising to the occasion - not because it was destined, but because it was the right thing to do and the only thing to do. Someone who hated the messiah qualities that was placed on him, as being this great military leader, but who saw no way out of doing it because he had the knowledge to make a difference. The difference between knowing the path and walking the path. Not a whiner and not someone just willingly and blindly accepts his role, but walks the path because he can make a difference and because: if he doesn't, someone else will have to... and they may not have the skills to bring forth victory. But also someone who values input from others and doesn't let the "foretold importance" go to his head.

I want to see that man we glimpsed briefly at the start of T2.

...Personally, he really should be in the periphery and not the main focus character...

I am loathe to defend T:S but that was the plan. Bale f'd that up by insisting on playing JC and they had to re-write everything on the fly. I am sure it would have sucked nonetheless but it couldn't have been any worse.

I couldn't read all post, but what I think would needed to do:

1. Forget T3 and T4

2. Go back to the source T1 + T2

3. Take the strength of story-telling from TSCC and some elements, like the development of JC, how he accepted his fate, etc.

4. Start from the future war, let JC tell in an OV, how this have been so far to 2021 to keep an option for the final T6 movie set in 2027 and take the concept of T1 never realized, the room of Termies with Arnold's face and how JC sends Reese back, that'll be a great end
(i.e. "…since my mother told me about the future, it has been in a constant state of flux, things have turned out differently, I remember things, that never happend and yet for me, it's been so clear that it can't be a dream… Not like those nightmares my mother and father had from the future. The nature of time are as unpredictable as Skynet's next move, and still… my fate and the fate of humanity are set.")

5. Most important: stick to what Reese said about the old Termies 600 Series: human sized, rubber/silicone skin like in TSCC. Keep all Skynet hardware like in the Future War dreams, no Harvester and stuff that the hack McG wanted

6. Geez, cast someone, who at least looks like Michael Edwards, the original Connor of T2, but a bit younger

i totally agree i loved the first two but when christian bale was john connor i did not like it but of course i hated how he voiced batman so thats just me

(i.e. "…since my mother told me about the future, it has been in a constant state of flux, things have turned out differently, I remember things, that never happend and yet for me, it's been so clear that it can't be a dream… Not like those nightmares my mother and father had from the future. The nature of time are as unpredictable as Skynet's next move, and still… my fate and the fate of humanity are set.")
There is no "set fate" if things are in flux. It's either one or the other.

IMHO Bale was a good actor choice for JC but the movie didn't handle him correctly.

If it was Bale's decision to make JC the primary star of TS then I think he messed up the film.

The original green lite shooting script had more focus on Marcus discovering what he really was along with an entire plot around human/machine hybrids. It was a pretty bad script with T800's as golf caddies, think ive said that here ten times already. The part of JC was maybe 5 minutes of screen time with his voice over the radio that pretty much that which is already in the film. Bale was approached for the part of Marcus then wanted the JC role, he used his clout to rewrite the terrible script...
Ive also mentioned the cutting room floor and abandoned time travel story that is actually still very visible in the final edit if you know what to look for. Its also something ive said numerous times here.

TBale was approached for the part of Marcus then wanted the JC role, he used his clout to rewrite the terrible script...
Ive also mentioned the cutting room floor and abandoned time travel story that is actually still very visible in the final edit if you know what to look for. Its also something ive said numerous times here.

So basically, Bale took a ****ty film and made it at least viewable?

Can't fault the man for that!:thumbsup

No worries. T3 had the same kind of thinking... and it's just plain wrong.

However... you've now left me with a visual of squeezing something out of your brain... ******... that must've hurt. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back