Taken 2: The takening

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
Ugh. LOVED the first movie and thought it was a really cool take on the genre. Since they got almost all of the original cast back for the second movie and since it was a revenge on a revenge movie I thought it might actually be worth watching. Nope. Horrific, silly, pointless and dumb. So many moments that just took me right out of the movie. I guess I should have known better, but the only thing "taken" in this movie was my money.

Yeah, I absolutely loved the first one, but all I've heard about the second one is that it's awful. Such a shame, I felt like it had a ton of potential.

Haven't seen it yet, but from the trailers it look like people in that family just shouldn't travel. Although, after having to go through the TSA check points, I guess dealing with human trafficking mobster types are nothing.

I thought the first one was pretty good but I just laughed when I saw the trailer for this one.

"They're going to take you again. But don't worry I will find you again. I will do what I do best again."

Some movies just don't need a sequel.

I thought the first one was pretty good but I just laughed when I saw the trailer for this one.

"They're going to take you again. But don't worry I will find you again. I will do what I do best again."

Some movies just don't need a sequel.

You forgot this exchange.

"I have a very special set of skills that--"

"Wait. Isn't this the same special set of skills you had before? Or are you saying you have new skills? I just want to know so I can prepare my henchmen."

"I...um.......Ok, it's the same special set of skills but they are VERY special. Really. Trust me on that. Very special indeed."

isnt it the exact same movie as the first one with different locations?

It actually isn't. The idea behind the story IS a good sequel. It centers around the father of one of the criminals that Bryan killed in the first movie coming to avenge the death of his son. To me, that concept has a lot of potential and even opened the door for some slightly deeper themes than were in the first movie. The problem was that the first movie was more or less a chase movie where you see Bryan using his "special skills" to track the criminals and then to dispatch them. To me, from a movie perspective, there were only a few moments that seemed completely unrealistic in the first movie. In this movie, almost every aspect is cartoony and over the top. The editing was also very rough, cutting out key moments in certain fights and ending them in a rather confusing and anticlimatic way. One of the things I really liked about the first film was that it was very matter-of-fact in its presentation. Bryan was never showy in how he went about doing what he did. He just did it. This was very different and there was even a mano-a-mano fight scene that was just ridiculous. On top of that, Bryan knowingly brings his daughter into danger multiple times or relies on her like a member of his team. At that point, I was just ready to walk out of the theater.

The first film was great. It reminds me a little of the book 'Without remorse "
I would LOVE to see that put on the big screen . IF it could be done right .

Yeah, I absolutely loved the first one, but all I've heard about the second one is that it's awful. Such a shame, I felt like it had a ton of potential.

Same here. When it was announced I was really looking forward to seeing it in the theater, but the reviews are so horrendous across the board I'm just going to wait for a Blu-ray rental in a couple months.

So it went from a hard-boiled, gritty chase film....to Spy Kids: Balkan Vacation?

Pretty much. Bryan's daughter can't pass her driver's license, but is somehow able to evade and out drive all of the bad guys with a stick-shift in the extremely tight and congested streets in Instanbul. The worst part is, during the chase scenes, they continually show this teenage girl doing shifts that even 007 would be amazed by. At moments like this, you just throw up your hands and say "WTF?!?"

For whatever it is worth, the director has changed for this film, but the writers are the same. I just don't get it.

Pretty much. Bryan's daughter can't pass her driver's license, but is somehow able to evade and out drive all of the bad guys with a stick-shift in the extremely tight and congested streets in Instanbul. The worst part is, during the chase scenes, they continually show this teenage girl doing shifts that even 007 would be amazed by. At moments like this, you just throw up your hands and say "WTF?!?"

Dude, I live in Philly, I drive an '03 WRX, and it took me several months when I first started driving stick to get comfortable. The notion that she could do that...

Well, I'm thinking this is gonna be DYNAMITE fodder for the RiffTrax crew.

You didn't know she is " THE STIG" from the show Top Gear ? :lol

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back