SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

My wife won't let me live down my, "can you do that again" comment.

But we're glad you did.

As soon as I saw the Isaac Clarke, I told my friend that he would be top 3 if not the winner. And this episode did get better with slightly less drama and more on the actual work. And I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Becky Young got to be a part of this show. As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I used to know her and I will honestly say that I felt no sympathy for her and the issues she's had during the series.

Maybe you had seen Isaac somewhere before? On this forum, perhaps?

I had no idea I was going to pick that up. I figured when the butt was shown a second time lust would beat artistry. I was pleasantly surprised and actually thought I had lost when I didn't get best gaming character. What they didn't show were the eight other phenomenal costumes that won categories. Doctor Doom made that suit out of cut up rubbermaid containers and there was an assassin from Skyrim (female) that was superb. Her foam work was flawless.

Those girls on that show were funny talking about how some guy in a foam suit with lots of lights beat them at EC3. I guess it happened again at Megacon! Hats off to all their hard work. I'd have lost if I showed the audience my ass.

Tonight's episode was leaps and bounds above the past ones. A little bit of forced drama, but other than that, this was the show I was expecting from the start. Let's hope it continues like this.

Well I have to say I'm enjoying this episode much more than the previous ones. The producers seem to have listened to the feedback or had more time to film the costume builds for this episode.

You do know this was in the can and already finished filming ALL episodes before the season started, right? All the feedback in the world couldn't change how they filmed. :lol

I enjoyed this episode much more than the previous episodes.

With Holly and Jessica, I can understand and sympathize. Having seperate builds when you've always worked together must be like a married couple deciding to get a divorce but having to continue to live together for a while until they can move out seperatly.

Every household chore was a 2 person job, where you worked together and helped eachother get things done. But now you have to get your own laundry done, cook your own meal, clean-up you own room, etc....

The drama may seem dramatic but I think they are really close, good friends and they work well together. Not having that stability, especially on such a tight deadline, can be really stressful. I get it.

I like Becky, I have seen really amazing costumes from her over the years. Within the confines of this show I think she has to bring really awesome costumes like her Merida and not rely on props because I think her sewing skills are her stregnth and not so much her prop making ability.

I think Becky is adorable.
I enjoy just how in character she gets and I think it is pretty fun and adds to the costume c:

Yes, Lol I know be cause I was at a con they filmed at.
I was referringto the editing; how they could have cut out more of the crap and added more footage of the builds. As for the part about them having more time to shoot the builds, I thought that the filming may not have begun until after the "heroes" had started their builds in the first episode.

Overall, pretty enjoyable episode.

But I was absolutely and fully appalled by Yaya and her action figure.
That's just... Wow. I never expected that from anyone.

Not even cardboard Gundam made the action figure of himself - it was made of him.

I liked this episode more than the others. It felt more like a documentary. I rooted for the contestants instead of being annoyed by them. The YaYa-less judges seemed well qualified to decide the winner.

Overall, pretty enjoyable episode.

But I was absolutely and fully appalled by Yaya and her action figure.
That's just... Wow. I never expected that from anyone.

Not even cardboard Gundam made the action figure of himself - it was made of him.

It's Reality TV. If you were appalled I think the show achieved exactly what it set out to do. Watch that scene again, you'll notice the music and tempo change with the aside. I think it's fantastic that Yoyo has been able to create a career out of something that she loves to do, mad props to her. ****, I'd love to have an action figure made in my likeness... actually, that's probably something I can do with 3ds MAX and my digital cam! :D

I don't understand drama, but I enjoy this show. Heroes of Cosplay isn't the "maker show" I would have wanted but it still offers me what I enjoy and that is to see people creating functional artwork. Can't wait till the 4th episode!

I have caught all 3 episodes. Yes, I hate reality TV. They DO stick to a formula to reach the largest audience, and I think that may be the killer moment for all of us here, who would like to see different issues showcased?
That said, I was entertained by most of it, but I kept asking myself "WHO are they pitching this to?" Are they trying to give the TV-Zombie culture one-more thing to sit and "Armchair" Ridicule? Are they trying to give their creative viewers a peek inside the competitive world of costuming? Are they trying to promote costuming? Because they didn't really contribute to any of this. Are they trying to create some kind of "Real Housewives of Cosplay"?

I would like to learn a little more about the individuals, and what they bring to, and take away from the experience. I would like to see more of the creative process, and less of the hype of the competition. Was it Jessica and Holly that competed against each other? Jessica's dialog regarding their work and issues with working apart, was really interesting. I wish they had given her more time.

For those that saw this show: Were you inspired to attend one of these events? Create a costume? I don't think so. The message that I took away from this, is that this is an expensive, stressful undertaking, with little reward, monitarily, or emotionally. If you are not williing to spend $$$ for a chance at winning $, don't bother playing in our sand box.

Lastly, it was mentioned by more than one contestant, that they hoped that the contest would bring them recognition and fame that would lead to industry work and financial success. This was state many times by Jesse, the painted Storm Trooper. It was sad. We have discussed this subject here and shooting for a career of messy work with harsh chemicals, long hours, no over time, no health insurance, no vacation, no chance for advancement, and no job security, might NOT be as fun as a hobby of same.

Ansd my last point about this show: Is ANYONE having fun? (maybe Chloe)

I have caught all 3 episodes. Yes, I hate reality TV. They DO stick to a formula to reach the largest audience, and I think that may be the killer moment for all of us here, who would like to see different issues showcased?
That said, I was entertained by most of it, but I kept asking myself "WHO are they pitching this to?" Are they trying to give the TV-Zombie culture one-more thing to sit and "Armchair" Ridicule? Are they trying to give their creative viewers a peek inside the competitive world of costuming? Are they trying to promote costuming? Because they didn't really contribute to any of this. Are they trying to create some kind of "Real Housewives of Cosplay"?

I would like to learn a little more about the individuals, and what they bring to, and take away from the experience. I would like to see more of the creative process, and less of the hype of the competition. Was it Jessica and Holly that competed against each other? Jessica's dialog regarding their work and issues with working apart, was really interesting. I wish they had given her more time.

For those that saw this show: Were you inspired to attend one of these events? Create a costume? I don't think so. The message that I took away from this, is that this is an expensive, stressful undertaking, with little reward, monitarily, or emotionally. If you are not williing to spend $$$ for a chance at winning $, don't bother playing in our sand box.

Lastly, it was mentioned by more than one contestant, that they hoped that the contest would bring them recognition and fame that would lead to industry work and financial success. This was state many times by Jesse, the painted Storm Trooper. It was sad. We have discussed this subject here and shooting for a career of messy work with harsh chemicals, long hours, no over time, no health insurance, no vacation, no chance for advancement, and no job security, might NOT be as fun as a hobby of same.

Ansd my last point about this show: Is ANYONE having fun? (maybe Chloe)

You bring up a really good point. It's funny as I didn't know this episode was going to cover MegaCon, as I was there this year (didn't attend the costume contest though). MegaCon is one of those "gotta go to" events for me, whether I'm wearing the same costume again or not, it's a blast, and you get to see what others build.

I think this show however, would be MUCH BETTER if they didn't focus on the competition aspect. It automatically goes from "fun" to "work." There's a reason I never pursued music in college, because I love playing the Tuba, but to turn into "requirements" and stress, all the fun I had with it would eventually dissipate. As with any hobby.

I think if the show wanted to aim to the community or anyone that views this show in a positive and motivational way, they should focus on the people who spend their time, lots of time, constructing their suits FOR the events, NOT for competition. There's not nearly as much "stress" involved and you get to see high quality work done that's not rushed, let alone forced drama

As a lifelong historical re-enactor, I'd love to see any of these people dropped into a Nalopeonic, Civil War or WW2 event to see what true comitment to an outfit is all about, it'd be great to see them out of that immediate element to see people who iterally count stitches per inch...
Like I wrote earlier here, i dabbled in costuming in the 80s when I was a teen and won a few awards at small local cons. i did it for the fun and nobody was there stressing this badly. I was all about home built stuff and bragging rights then, real, "small pond" kind of stuff and usually, everyone knew everyone else for the most part. I wouldn't dream of getting into a competition today, and I only dabble is sci-fi uniforms and such, nothing like you see on the show.
Is ANYONE having fun?
I doubt it. Like any hobby, what was once fun has ceased to be so when people start competing and drive all the fun from it.

Chloe is great..she is there to have fun and enjoy what others are doing.

I'm waiting for one of these bf/ husbands to snap on their highly demanding old ladies. Mainly jinyo, that man takes a beating and gets no love when everyone raves about the outfits.

Becky seems ok and looks to be having fun as well. Plus she has a great outlook on acting like the character.

What I've learned is, as a dude - never get involved with a cosplay chick. From the outside, it may seem like nerdvana, but the reality seems like quite the opposite. You will be absolutely ignored for weeks, or months, prior to any given con, and your one role will simply be as an ATM machine. You will be subjected to verbal abuse, and be treated like a second-class go'fer, while your work goes unappreciated.

And I don't know if it's editing, script, or reality, but it definitely seems like the women wear the pants in the relationship. I have no problem with a strong woman, but if the show didn't say that those guys were their husbands, I would have guessed gay BFF, at best. Are cospaly chicks drawn to whiny submissives, or is it the other way around?

And what's the deal with crabcat? Are they in a secret "special" relationship? More power to them if they are, but they seem a little too into each other, if they aren't. I know one of them is married, but he wouldn't be the first beard, in history.

-Fred

What I've learned is, as a dude - never get involved with a cosplay chick. From the outside, it may seem like nerdvana, but the reality seems like quite the opposite. You will be absolutely ignored for weeks, or months, prior to any given con, and your one role will simply be as an ATM machine. You will be subjected to verbal abuse, and be treated like a second-class go'fer, while your work goes unappreciated.

And I don't know if it's editing, script, or reality, but it definitely seems like the women wear the pants in the relationship. I have no problem with a strong woman, but if the show didn't say that those guys were their husbands, I would have guessed gay BFF, at best. Are cospaly chicks drawn to whiny submissives, or is it the other way around?

And what's the deal with crabcat? Are they in a secret "special" relationship? More power to them if they are, but they seem a little too into each other, if they aren't. I know one of them is married, but he wouldn't be the first beard, in history.

-Fred

They both had really ****ty childhoods and helped each other through it, and they both have husbands. I get where they're coming from honestly, I have the same sort of friendship with my best friend. Unfortunately the show's editing and direction is, once again, being used to twist the truth. Notice how they never really freaked out or complained except in the interview segments? Yeah. You can bet that when the cameras weren't rolling they were doing just fine.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back