Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

Re: Aaron Paul to play young Han Solo

They should get Josh Hartnett. Not the greatest actor but he has some screen presence and he at least looks like he could be related to Harrison Ford.

Re: Aaron Paul to play young Han Solo

And from the story

Furthermore, the report has Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad, Need for Speed) involved in the project; with no specific information as to whom he might be playing in the film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Star Wars Standalone Film (Dir: Gareth Edwards)

I was thinking KK said that these would be about new characters so I hope that's true. I don't want to see young Han Solo, young Yoda, exiled Obi-wan or whatever. I would be possibly open for a Boba Fett movie, though I think even that would be best left alone. I think if done in a particular way, it would be cool but I doubt they'd do it.

I was thinking KK said that these would be about new characters so I hope that's true. I don't want to see young Han Solo, young Yoda, exiled Obi-wan or whatever. I would be possibly open for a Boba Fett movie, though I think even that would be best left alone. I think if done in a particular way, it would be cool but I doubt they'd do it.

I thought the implication was it would be about OT characters, not the new ones from EpVII.

Here's the quote I was thinking of. She said it when she was announcing Josh Trank as a director for one of the standalone films:

Kathleen Kennedy said:
He is such an incredible talent and has a great imagination and sense of innovation," Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said of Trank on StarWars.com. "That makes him perfectly suited to Star Wars, and for this new slate of movies that reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX.

To me that sounds like these standalones will feature characters we've not seen before, at least not major ones like Han or Yoda.

Last edited by a moderator:

His tweets and then he retweeted the following article from Nerdist.

garywhitta: My year of work in a galaxy far, far away is done! I’m onto my next project, adapting @ mrmarkmillar’s STARLIGHT for 20th Century Fox!

garywhitta: This is by far the most I’ve ever enjoyed writing a title page. See you in 2016! #MTFBWY

B68zrTNIIAECVxN.jpg

http://www.nerdist.com/2015/01/gary-whitta-departs-star-wars-standalone-movie-for-starlight/

"While The Hollywood Reporter article makes it sound a bit like something unseemly happened, the news of a writer departing a project after completing a draft is by no means surprising. (Case in point: look at what happened with The Force Awakens after Michael Arndt left and J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan came in for the next draft.) Rather, it sounds like the increasingly busy Mr. Whitta simply completed his contractual obligation and is moving on to the next item on his dance card."

Give me five minutes to think about this. Decanonizing means it no longer matters, so does that mean we can do Revan differently than just another white guy?

Yes, but more likely Revan (still don't know who that is) doesn't exist at all. The replacement character could be a green hermaphrodite for all i care. :lol

To use the same name would be to invite nerd rage. That's why I think they just did the blanket "we're not using any of it" approach.

Yes, but more likely Revan (still don't know who that is) doesn't exist at all. The replacement character could be a green hermaphrodite for all i care. :lol

To use the same name would be to invite nerd rage. That's why I think they just did the blanket "we're not using any of it" approach.

More to the point, I think they're just not going to touch that era at all. 1) The story's already been largely told, and 2) though he's the central player character in the KOTOR game, and has massive effects on the galaxy, he's intentionally left bland enough for whoever is playing him to be able to project themselves into him. On the one hand, there's potential there to reinterpretation and character development. On the other, despite being the central character to the game, I see him as only one contributor to about 400 years of great wars, legendary deeds, towering heroes, and unfathomable villains. Any film set during that period would have to be at least a trilogy to fit in everything relevant and interesting, even if only following one character.

I mean, Revan's context has to come from somewhere. Canderous Ordo, the Mandalorian Wars, Mandalore the Ultimate, the Neo-Crusaders, Cassus Fett, the dying Taung who confers the title on Canderous and tells him he was Mandalore the Indomitable's true heir but Mandalore the Ultimate usurped him... That's all important backstory. Likewise Mandalore the Indomitable and the Great Sith War of a few years earlier. Which, of course, has the Beast Wars of Onderon and the Freedon Nadd Uprising as instigationg factors. So that's the most convenient starting point -- 44 years before KOTOR.

And the other direction! After the events of KOTOR, there's fallout for centuries, a lot of it with large gaps. Like how we got from the state of things in KOTOR 2 to the state of things at the beginning of the Old Republic MMO -- the Mandalorians marginalized, the Sith Empire appointing a pit fighter the new Mandalore, his eventual challenge by and death at the hands of the eventual Mandalore the Vindicated, and the as-yet-unanswered question of what happened next, in the mid-3600s BBY...

--Jonah

If they go back that far I'd rather have a story with Darth Bane. Those are some of the best SW novels.

It is this movie by Edwards. Boba Fett centered with other bounty hunters with possible younger Han Solo in the mix.

Any commentary on this? I'm hoping, given the context of the quote, the person saying it was drunk enough they were getting things wrong...

--Jonah

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back