Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I think I may be one of them as well.:lol

But alas, poor Vader is dead...I knew him well.

The next coolest bad guy was Fett, so I say use him.

We saw him fall into the Sarlaac Pit, but there was never any definitive evidence that shows he died in there. He had rocket packs man!

Last edited:

And Mandalorians? Well, I guess maybe, but please no Fetts. Whatever mystique the character once had, LFL flushed it but good once they realized the character's popularity. Fett is done.

"pease no fetts" "fett is done"
gasp... thems be fightin' words! :p hehehehe:lol

Can someone post the quote in which Palpatine made fun of sabers? Because if it's the quote I'm thinking of, I thought he was just proclaiming himself to be too badass to need one.

I think it was in the ROTS novel. He tells someone (Anakin probably) that Sith don't need to use lightsabers, but they still do to humiliate the Jedi. So it's sort of mocking the Jedi and if the Sith prove superior swordsmen, they humiliate them with it.

And two of those are ex-Jedi. So, it's basically just Maul and the prequel Palpatine that works against the RotJ comment.

The PT also made it seem that lightsaber usage was the top skill a Jedi or Sith could accomplish, making the Force secondary and basically insignificant, whereas in the OT any random joe could wield a lightsaber, but only a Jedi and Sith wielded the Force and the more you knew, the less you needed weapons and even the lightsaber.

You continually see Luke being bested by Force usage, in the duels he partake in, whereas he holds his ground pretty well, when they are just dueling with the sabers.

Could be. But any meaning is totally invalidated by his lightsaber usage in RotS. So... he's basically talking nonsense if you feel the PT has any value. It completely kills any bad-assery and weight to that comment, when it is clearly established in the PT that the Force is secondary to a lighstaber and Luke could just have avoided being zapped all to hell, by not throwing his saber away.

The lightsaber is less a weapon than a symbol of the Jedi. When it is used as a weapon, it's to be used for defense only. And "any random joe" could not use a lightsaber as only a Force-user knows how to control it properly and use it effectively without chopping a foot off in the process. Read anything that has to do with Star Wars, and it will tell you flat out.

People say they want "dark," but I think they really just want "serious" as in "take me seriously as an audience member, and don't offer me a bunch of infantile crap." Star Wars did that in '77. Later films in the series....did not.

It doesn't have to be dark to be good, I for one don't want to see comedy though, like Threepio with a battle droids head, like artoo spraying oil over super battle droids then setting them on fire, and I especially hope we don't get more droid fighters that turn their heads as they fly in space battle and make little chirping noises, I guess I just want to see less CGI droid slapstick and more real acting

The lightsaber is less a weapon than a symbol of the Jedi. When it is used as a weapon, it's to be used for defense only. And "any random joe" could not use a lightsaber as only a Force-user knows how to control it properly and use it effectively without chopping a foot off in the process. Read anything that has to do with Star Wars, and it will tell you flat out.
Solo handled it just fine in ESB. Screw the EU, it's just a bunch of over-explanatory fan-drivel!

And the mysticism of Boba Fett was just transferred to Jango Fett. You still don't know crap **** about the character, where he came from or anything.

No no no, give it a light tone. Like it had in 1977. Enough of darkness already.

Make it Flash Gordon again like it was in '77. Make us cheer, make us laugh. Enough of all this brooding Sith crap.

EXACTLY! :thumbsup

Disney and LFL have a perfect opportunity now to go right back to basics and put together a fantasy adventure story set in space, with the charm, wit, humour and excitement of the original movies.

You can go dark to certain levels, but it's 'Star Wars-dark' like what we see in Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars has a very specific mix of ingredients gathered from all over, mess with the recipe too much and it won't taste right..

Leave Darth Vader out of it, enough with that ...that story has been told.....

A new Hope style movie would have my vote aswell, it's about a fresh new start and who knows a fresh new villain, maybe this time Boba Fett got rescued by a certain crime lord, why not go the Bounty Hunter way with Star Wars, The skywalkers have had their story, The sith and Jedi have had their story, what else is there really left to tell otherwise?

The series idea wasn't such a bad idea, the period between Epsidode 3 and 4, why not go for that if they sooo desperately want to stick with Vader and Palps.

So far this is "Jean Luc Picard facepalm" kind of stuff to me.

No no no, give it a light tone. Like it had in 1977. Enough of darkness already.

Make it Flash Gordon again like it was in '77. Make us cheer, make us laugh. Enough of all this brooding Sith crap.

Agreed. Let's get back to basics with some new characters/stories.

Solo handled it just fine in ESB. Screw the EU, it's just a bunch of over-explanatory fan-drivel!

He used it for 10 seconds just to cut open the tauntaun. Yes for that any average joe could use a lightsaber. I was talking about using it in battle.

The EU wouldn't be very interesting if all they wrote was, "There, he dead! You don't need to know how or why."

He used it for 10 seconds just to cut open the tauntaun. Yes for that any average joe could use a lightsaber. I was talking about using it in battle.
And you have no evidence that it isn't as easy to wield a lightsaber as it is to wield a sword. NONE! All it takes is practice.

Hell... that shoddy robot cyborg thingy in RotS seemed to be able to handle lightsabers just fine... and all that required was a little training with Tyranus.

So basically... there is evidence that non-force users can handle a lightsaber quite efficiently, whereas the other nonsense is just made up by some random writers having to fill their books with "something".

Also Jango Fett killed the mystery of Boba Fett, he was cooler before the prequels came out and gave him a backstory

Agreed. Let's get back to basics with some new characters/stories.

This. Back to basics on TONE, but new ideas, characters, and stories. No pillaging the EU, no rehashing the OT, no trotting out toothless greying heroes for one last moment of geriatric glory. Bit parts or cameos, ok, fine. But otherwise, new stuff, please, with new characters. The setting is rich enough to make it work.

Also Jango Fett killed the mystery of Boba Fett, he was cooler before the prequels came out and gave him a backstory
No. The mystery just transferred to Jango. Sure, Boba was made a mere clone... but the mystery surrounding the character remains - we still know NOTHING about the backstory of that character.

I didn't like Jango and didn't find him interesting, not sure why.

The prequels really messed up what could have been a deeper and more interesting characterization of Fett.

Maybe because he was completely unnecessary, same as that other bounty hunter... and he got his head chopped off pretty quickly.

That could be it. There was just no mystery to him. I don't think they should have ever shown Fett and Jango with their helmets off for one thing. Imagination is much more powerful than anything that can be shown.

I do however find the Manadalorians as a warrior race very interesting. And I think there is a gold mine there for Disney to explore if they wanted to. Maybe even introduce a new Manadalorian leader if they don't want to use Fett.

And back to my 'Rise of the Manadalorians ' idea, after the fall of the Empire you could have all the disenfranchised clone troopers join forces with the Mandalorians and you have a pretty powerful army to contend with. Lets say the clone troopers, become second class citizens after the fall of the Empire. The economy is a mess and the galaxy is in chaos as the Republic tries to rebuild itself. At this point, after the 'Empire' is gone there is a power vacuum on the edges of the galaxy which the Mandalorians exploit. The clone troopers are the genetic 'family' of the Manadalorians, who would be willing to 'accept' the the clones as brethren and incorporate them into their forces.

Last edited:

Yeah, the Mandalorians still have mystery. And they do seem like a warrior race - you sorta got that notion from the handed down armor, that it had been part of something bigger, but was now rare at the time of ESB, and that being a bounty hunter was really a major step down.

I have no clue what has been written about them in comics or novels, but they certainly could be an option. To think a warrior race, conditioning for war from childhood. Could prove pretty lethal.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back