Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

A force ghost was what initially popped into my mind as well when I read the initial reports on Ian being involved. I can see how this could work and make for a great story. To think they are going to make a film completely devoid of Sith or evil Force users is likely a fools errand. People need more lightsaber, myself included.

Hmmm, dunno I'd like some Jedi stuff in the new film, but the prequels kind of OD'd me, the amount in the OT was just about right,....as long as there is plenty of normal/non-force users in the film.....to keep you connected, there were too many 'super' jedi in the PT.

I really hope that Palps doesn't return in VII, new trilogy, new owners, new writers, new ideas

J

A force ghost was what initially popped into my mind as well when I read the initial reports on Ian being involved. I can see how this could work and make for a great story. To think they are going to make a film completely devoid of Sith or evil Force users is likely a fools errand. People need more lightsaber, myself included.

agreed. it also makes Palpy even more a "Boogeyman" so its creepy! But how do you get rid of something that is already dead? "Quick Robin! To the Jedi Library!" "Holy apparitions Master Skywalker! Who we gonna call?" :D

Hmmm, dunno I'd like some Jedi stuff in the new film, but the prequels kind of OD'd me, the amount in the OT was just about right,....as long as there is plenty of normal/non-force users in the film.....to keep you connected, there were too many 'super' jedi in the PT.

I really hope that Palps doesn't return in VII, new trilogy, new owners, new writers, new ideas

J

Well, a couple of things. For starters there is an entirely new generation for whom these will be their first SW in theater experience, so although some of us older folks may have prequel Jedi OD, myself not included, that's not likely to be a factor in the direction they craft this story. Nor should it be, IMO. The Jedi and the Force are what make this entire franchise very special and unique from everything else. You don't walk away from that. And I would think considering the era, Jedi will be somewhat limited in their abilities.

To use Palpatine in some capacity really is no different from having an initial re-introduction to the OT characters of Luke, Han, and Leia, so I would suggest you can do both, have that connection to the OT and have a new story with new directions and ideas. But SW MUST have Jedi and the Force.

If you ignore the Prequels (which they probably won't) the force ghost only appeared to Luke who had a personal attachment to those people before they died, do you think this new Phantom Menace will just appear to Luke still taunting him?
J

J

yes but remember part of the deal with the sale to Disney was that GL handed over story treatments for episode 7, 8 & 9 so in some form or other they are already kind of written in outline anyway. So in a way its not really a "new Trilogy" as it were... its based on ideas GL has had for some time and he finally dusted it off. But this is probably why the green light for Star Wars spinoffs were given... so we can have more original stories. As for too many Jedi, well, that is what the prequels were about, the fall of the Jedi order and the old republic. I think 7,8 and 9 will have only a handful of jedi.

If you ignore the Prequels (which they probably won't) the force ghost only appeared to Luke who had a personal attachment to those people before they died, do you think this new Phantom Menace will just appear to Luke still taunting him?
J

Ignore the prequels? You can't ignore the prequels, they are part of the story regardless of how people may feel about them. GL decided Force ghosts happen and so the idea of a Sidious ghost appearing to a new apprentice, as hinted at in the article, makes sense.

I do agree with you Bryan that the Jedi & the Force have to be in the films, my only wish is that they mix in the rogues & bounty hunters etc,....there was too much serious Jedi in the Prequels

After all Star Wars = 'May the Force be with You'

J

- - - Updated - - -

Ignore the prequels? You can't ignore the prequels,

I do,...its really very easy:)

J

...And I would think considering the era, Jedi will be somewhat limited in their abilities.

Yoda said to Luke; "Pass on what you have learned...." Well, Luke hadn't learned very much! :D so unless force ghost Anakin has been consulting with him and the Jedi Library is still indeed intact (why would Palpy destroy what he himself could learn from?) then the new Jedi will have less than superman type powers that we saw in the Prequels... but even Luke force jumped at lightening speed out of the carbon freeze chamber so there is no telling what Yoda taught him. we only saw a glimpse of the time he spent with him on Dagobah.

I just can imagine a Jedi being fully tested by a villain who does not also use the force. Sure, the majority of characters, both good and bad, could be non-force-using, but somewhere in the world of Star Wars, there has to be someone who wants to learn to use the force for nefarious purposes. I don't see force-using disappearing, and not everyone is good.

I do agree with you Bryan that the Jedi & the Force have to be in the films, my only wish is that they mix in the rogues & bounty hunters etc,....there was too much serious Jedi in the Prequels

After all Star Wars = 'May the Force be with You'

J

- - - Updated - - -

I do,...its really very easy:)

J

Sure, and if I had to hazard a guess that's where the ancillary films come into play here. They represent an opportunity for branching off stories, similar to the Marvel model of Avengers and then other films featuring those characters.

And I enjoy the prequels very much. :)

I just can imagine a Jedi being fully tested by a villain who does not also use the force. Sure, the majority of characters, both good and bad, could be non-force-using, but somewhere in the world of Star Wars, there has to be someone who wants to learn to use the force for nefarious purposes.

Yep, thats what I'm talking about, the Force part should be contained so that when it happens its special, when a lightsaber ignites you go...wow!

A good sabre battle in the movie has to happen

J

Yep, thats what I'm talking about, the Force part should be contained so that when it happens its special, when a lightsaber ignites you go...wow!

A good sabre battle in the movie has to happen

J

That a very much agree with. I do think the prequels and Clone Wars cartoon suffered a bit from the Jedi being too powerful. When I was 9 and STAR WARS came out, for me the Force was something which required a huge amount of concentration to use and it was used somewhat sparingly. That kept it special. It lost some of that in the prequels, but considering this new era, hopefully that is something that will return to the films.

what I want to return to the films is dignity and purpose for the droids. the prequels all but made threepio a cartoon and even artoo served no real purpose. in new hope the droids were integral to the plot... after that they were just tag alongs. I want to see a new mission for artoo and threepio and the lives of many depend on their success. (I'm a droid fan so I want to see some serious need for them in these new movies!)

Well Disney seem to know what direction they want to take SW, with the production team they have for ep VII & the new Rebels cartoon, I'm really happy the way its going

J

Happy the way it's going? What way is that? It hasn't went anywhere yet! Lol

Ha!! As an investment advisor I try and look behind the rumors and for Disney I see a very clear, investable direction they will take this franchise and other companies that will benefit. If you want to know more, you need to have a brokerage account with me. :)

Yoda said to Luke; "Pass on what you have learned...." Well, Luke hadn't learned very much! :D so unless force ghost Anakin has been consulting with him and the Jedi Library is still indeed intact (why would Palpy destroy what he himself could learn from?) then the new Jedi will have less than superman type powers that we saw in the Prequels... but even Luke force jumped at lightening speed out of the carbon freeze chamber so there is no telling what Yoda taught him. we only saw a glimpse of the time he spent with him on Dagobah.

The Jedi Temple is clearly intact at the time of ROTJ because it's in the SE. Supposedly Sidious kept it as a warning to the populous about the consequences of rebelling and to gloat over his victory against the Jedi. I'm also guessing the library would be kept intact. You don't just trash what is probably the biggest source of information in the galaxy. Also depending on if you are into the EU or how closely the new movies follow it, in one of the books Vader goes back to the temple to check the archives for some info on a Jedi. There were also other Jedi survivors. In the EU they came forward after hearing about Luke, so who knows what the movie version will be.

In addition, before the beginning of ROTJ, Luke apparently went to Obi Wan's house and found a book, left by Obi Wan, that had info on the Jedi, which is how he knew how to build a new lightsaber. I'm not sure how much of that is EU and how much is from Lucas. There was a cutscene, or at least a planned scene, of Luke building his lightsaber though.

LatinoReview has been going downhill for a long time now, i wouldn't put much stock in what they say. And why anybody would want Palpatine back is beyond me. But to each their own, i guess.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back