Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Is anyone else loving this geyser of information that comes out regularly about Ep.VII? Sarcasm clearly intended, 'cause it's a refreshing change of pace from what the prequels were. We're closing in on a year now that Lucasfilm was bought and the seismic news was announced about further adventures, and I, at least, know about as much now as I did then. Lots can be said for pleasant surprises!

By the way, does anyone know whether the Lucasfilm Archives was part of the Disney deal, or does it remain GL's personal property? I never heard any info regarding what would become of the props and paraphernalia. And if everything does go to Disney, to where will it all be moved?

Is anyone else loving this geyser of information that comes out regularly about Ep.VII? Sarcasm clearly intended, 'cause it's a refreshing change of pace from what the prequels were. We're closing in on a year now that Lucasfilm was bought and the seismic news was announced about further adventures, and I, at least, know about as much now as I did then. Lots can be said for pleasant surprises!

Definitely refreshing. I was quite good when the PT came out. For TPM in particular all I watched were the trailers prior to seeing the film. It does make for a better experience.

Definitely refreshing. I was quite good when the PT came out. For TPM in particular all I watched were the trailers prior to seeing the film. It does make for a better experience.

Your constitution was definitely different than mine was; I was an addict and I never put the needle down! They were completely spoiled by the time I ever saw them in the theater. I've got a different attitude this time around, but even if I were to get weak, it seems that JJ's got my back! :lol

My fondest memory of the Phantom Menace was when they opened Toys R Us at midnight for the launch of the toy line. That was an awesome night. I hope to see that kind of excitement for Episode VII. I think all it would take is a well done teaser and people would be ready to forget the PT and move on.

I'd just as soon there not be the kind of pre-release hype we saw for TPM associated with the new movies. I actually think the hype hurt the films. I mean, they sucked on their own, but the degree of disappointment was, I think, only magnified by all the pre-release hype.

The prequels taught me two very important movie lessons:

1. Avoid the hype at all costs. Don't get sucked into the endless updates on development and how OMGWTFBBQAWESOMESAUCE everything will be. Pre-release hype is just that: hype.

2. More is not always better. Sometimes more is worse. Much, much worse.

I've since basically disowned the prequels. They are, to me, some other movie series that has laser swords and space monks and robots. Thanks to that bit of mental legerdemain, they have no bearing on my experience of the OT anymore.

I hope there's all kinds of excitement and fanfare for this as well, and there most probably will be. But the kind of merchandising campaign from Hell that tied in with the prequels I can do without.

Well you can bet Disney will be in full force (no pun intended) with Marketing the crap out of this next movie. They have deep deep pockets and are going to spare no expense as opposed to Lucasfilm who generally was "cheap" about aspects of the movie producing. By no means is $120m a cheap budget, but there was definitely elements in the prequels that lacked on a technical level that could have been far better. I' really interested to hear what sort of sets and creature methods JJ Abrams will be utilizing. I'm very confident he's going to have his full heart into making the best possible film he can and he will have some of the best talent working with him in collaborating this next level of Star Wars.

Your constitution was definitely different than mine was; I was an addict and I never put the needle down! They were completely spoiled by the time I ever saw them in the theater. I've got a different attitude this time around, but even if I were to get weak, it seems that JJ's got my back! :lol

I too only watched the trailers prior to TPM. Then before AOTC I didn't check out anything because I didn't want to spoil anything which I thought I had been before seeing TPM. Then... when it came to ROTS, I just couldn't help myself so I did watch the RISE teaser and I was like "OMFG that's Vader!" then nothing before the film hit the cinema and it was both great and partly MEH.

Regards to EP VII... I'm torn, I both want to know everything and nothing :wacko
I will most likely stay the frak away from spoilers and trailers as much as humanly possible. It's still possible, I did it with both Avatar and Prometheus.

With Avatar I basically only knew it would take place on a moon called Pandora, a bunch of blue-skinned aliens and James Cameron wrote and directed it... AND it was shot in 3D. That was it. I didn't even realize why it was called Avatar until the scene with the submerged avatars - oh, now I get it! :lol
With Prometheus I knew even less basically. Who made it, who was in it, MAYBE a prequel to Alien.

My fondest memory of the Phantom Menace was when they opened...

the doors, and there, stood Darth Maul with his dual bladed lightsaber and the best part.... John Williams' music :love
Then they fought :popcorn soo exciting...
Then Nooooooooo!! not Qui-Gon! :cry
Then Maul got sliced and diced :angry WTF!!! You can't kill off the baddest bad guy evar!

Good times :p

By no means is $120m a cheap budget, but there was definitely elements in the prequels that lacked on a technical level that could have been far better. I' really interested to hear what sort of sets and creature methods JJ Abrams will be utilizing. I'm very confident he's going to have his full heart into making the best possible film he can and he will have some of the best talent working with him in collaborating this next level of Star Wars.

I agree; $120M is indeed a lot of money, and insofar as technical gee-whizzery goes, it's safe to assume that the technology itself has improved a good deal since ROTS, and perhaps even in bang-for-the-buck returns as well as straight out technical capability. So while we definitely won't have to worry about matte lines, at the same time I don't think we'll have to worry about an over-saturation of cg work. JJ seems a lot more into practicals than GL, who himself I think wanted to use his own work as a canvas to develop the new technologies. I'm very cautiously optimistic in that not only is JJ an old school "fan" himself, I think he's at the same time detached enough from the work that, unlike Lucas, he's not saying "this is my baby and I'll dress it the way I want to whether you like it or not". He knows what our complaints have been and I think his have been the same.

Regards to EP VII... I'm torn, I both want to know everything and nothing :wacko
I will most likely stay the frak away from spoilers and trailers as much as humanly possible.

I'd be satisfied I think just knowing who the actors are. Aside from the (potentially) obvious ones (that are rumored to return), I'd like to know the rest. I wouldn't even want to know what parts they're slated to play. Just give me the faces and I can paint a picture in my mind until the real thing comes along. Abstaining from the great spoilers, this will be the first Star Wars since 1983 that I'll have gone into unspoiled. That's very exciting! :)

$120 mil is chump change today! If they don't spend twice that they might miss out on being the biggest grosser for the "Opening Weekend" and Box Office Mojo will give them a severe bare-fanny spanking!

The issue some have/had with the budget is that there were other blockbusters of the time spending more. However, the biggy was that before defining a budget, he pocketed a cool 1 BILLION in licensing. With that budgeting, if he sold 0 tickets to all three combined, he still pockets over 600M in profit (seeing as the others didn't have their budgets raised much).

I've got no problem with financial restraint, but when others were spending more and NOT having big, let alone mega, licensing deals to back them up - it seemed a bit on the low side.

$120 mil is chump change today! If they don't spend twice that they might miss out on being the biggest grosser for the "Opening Weekend" and Box Office Mojo will give them a severe bare-fanny spanking!

As long as the movie's good, I don't care how much they spend. :lol

BPVZYBYCQAEUC9G.jpg:large

Good gravy, if that was slapped onto my desk, I don't think I could summon enough willpower to stay away from it.

And red paper...? WTH?

Everyone knows that Star Wars drafts are written on legal paper with a no.2 pencil... Just sayin'... :lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back