Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

:lol

Even CG Yoda looks wrong to me but yes, certainly an improvement. To be honest though I much prefer TPM to AOTC.

Ditto. TPM is a bit underrated, sure it's no OT but it could have been so much worse. Last star wars film to really utilize real world models.

Maul > Dooku :p

Det Mörka Hotet(The Dark threat), ridiculous!

You're right. That is even worse than TPM!

:lol

To be honest though I much prefer TPM to AOTC.

Ditto. TPM is a bit underrated, sure it's no OT but it could have been so much worse. Last star wars film to really utilize real world models.

Agreed there. It's always nice to return to Tatooine, and even though AOTC was there as well, it seemed as much CG as anything else. Even though ultimately TPM was on balance a let down to me, at least it wasn't the video game that AOTC was. :unsure

I think looking back at the prequels TPM is the one movie which has the "feel" of the OT, maybe it's the familiar locations or the camera work? That is it's only saving grace though, beyond that it's a train wreck.

I really liked Qui Gon and Darth Maul, too bad they both died in the first one. I enjoyed seeing how the emperor seized power, and the Jedi council being wrong about a great many things, but I wanted more of Vader hunting down Jedi, and less green screen Jedi temples.

I think Lucas was too afraid to move on from iconic characters like R2 and 3PO, and crammed them in. There is a whole galaxy out there, write something new. I hope JJ pays proper tribute to the originals as far as style goes, but opens up new stories and adventures.

I know that Lucas originally said the whole saga would be told throught the eyes of the droids, but since he back pedaled on so many other things, I saw no reason for either droid to be in the PT at all. Their first appearance should have been at the beginning of ANH at just left it at that.

I know that Lucas originally said the whole saga would be told throught the eyes of the droids, but since he back pedaled on so many other things, I saw no reason for either droid to be in the PT at all. Their first appearance should have been at the beginning of ANH at just left it at that.

I see where your coming from but in reality the droids were the comedy aspect of SW and they provided the comedy relief during the original trilogy, the problem is George forgot about this and decided we needed the hilarious antics of Jar Jar Binks.

TPM isn't just a bad SW film, it's just a terrible film all over. The dialog is horrific and all over the place, for example:-

OB1: "I have a bad feeling about this"
QUIGON: "I don't sense anything"

Really QGJ? you are a master jedi and you don't sense ANYTHING? You don't sense the massive deception, you don't sense a plot by the trade federation? You don't sense an attack which is just moments away?......great first line of the film, way to go George.

ANAKIN: "Are you an Angel?"

Nope, because Christian and Catholic icons such as angels would not be in the SW universe. That's the young Darth Vader's first line.....again, way to go George.

QUIGON: "You must have Jedi reflexes if you race pods"

Therefore does that mean that every single pod racer has Jedi ability?....Sigh.

In all honestly I could go on for ages about all the failings of TPM but I'd end up with a massively long drawn out post.

I will give you all the other ones, but supposedly Anakin is one of, if not the only, human to pilot a podracer. So apparently the other aliens have better reflexes or reaction time to deal with the speed. So their minds must work faster than a regular human.

rodneyfaile said:
I think Lucas was too afraid to move on from iconic characters like R2 and 3PO, and crammed them in. There is a whole galaxy out there, write something new. I hope JJ pays proper tribute to the originals as far as style goes, but opens up new stories and adventures.

The entire story is supposed to be coming from R2 since he's the only one that knows the whole thing, according to Lucas. Plus the movies starting with Episode 1 are a complete story about the Skywalkers. So it wouldn't make sense to jump to something completely different with the new movies. It would be cool to change characters, but not in 7,8, 9. It would have to be an completely different movie.

Hey, I can understand the guy's reluctance. Particularly doing press junkets around the release of ROTJ, he must've been a little sick of the role by then.

Did you catch his Lucas impression, though? It slipped through a bit and was pretty solid. An early indicator of a thriving career in VO work, perhaps. ;)

The entire story is supposed to be coming from R2 since he's the only one that knows the whole thing, according to Lucas. Plus the movies starting with Episode 1 are a complete story about the Skywalkers. So it wouldn't make sense to jump to something completely different with the new movies. It would be cool to change characters, but not in 7,8, 9. It would have to be an completely different movie.

As I grew up I began seeing the story less and less about the Skywalkers exclusively. I see it as the story of the rise, fall and restoration of the Republic embodied in the arc of this family. All the events that affect the galaxy, the Republic, the Empire, are all embodied in this family's tale. You take something VERY BIG and make it small to be more easily digested and related to by an audience. The Emperor is obviously the embodiment of The Empire with all of its avarice and corruption. Yoda and Obi-Wan are the symbols of the Republic's more noble past. Anakin is sort of the representation of the populace at large that had a choice to make. Support a tyrant or support the Republic. They chose wrong and paid dearly for it. The Republic was shattered and no longer resembled what once had been, much like Anakin. Luke and Leia are ultimately the redemption of all of that. The story is also just as much Obi-wan's as it is the Skywalkers'. It is as much about his failure as it is Anakin's and as much about his redemption as Anakin's. The weight of the fall of the Republic rests partially on his shoulders because of the role that his pupil and friend played in its demise. He needs to set things right not just for the Republic as a whole, but for himself. I almost feel like ability to materialize as a "ghost" is tied more to the fact that these people cannot rest until what is wrong has been made right.

As I grew up I began seeing the story less and less about the Skywalkers exclusively. I see it as the story of the rise, fall and restoration of the Republic embodied in the arc of this family. All the events that affect the galaxy, the Republic, the Empire, are all embodied in this family's tale. You take something VERY BIG and make it small to be more easily digested and related to by an audience. The Emperor is obviously the embodiment of The Empire with all of its avarice and corruption. Yoda and Obi-Wan are the symbols of the Republic's more noble past. Anakin is sort of the representation of the populace at large that had a choice to make. Support a tyrant or support the Republic. They chose wrong and paid dearly for it. The Republic was shattered and no longer resembled what once had been, much like Anakin. Luke and Leia are ultimately the redemption of all of that. The story is also just as much Obi-wan's as it is the Skywalkers'. It is as much about his failure as it is Anakin's and as much about his redemption as Anakin's. The weight of the fall of the Republic rests partially on his shoulders because of the role that his pupil and friend played in its demise. He needs to set things right not just for the Republic as a whole, but for himself. I almost feel like ability to materialize as a "ghost" is tied more to the fact that these people cannot rest until what is wrong has been made right.

This. The "the story is about the Skywalkers" thing doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. Yes, Luke is the main hero of the first film, but it's still very much an ensemble piece. The prequels try to shift focus, but even they're kind of all over the place, jumping to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and others. Anakin's betrayal of the Jedi is critical in the timeline, but you could just as easily argue that Obi-Wan's failure is critical to Anakin betraying the Jedi, and so on. Plus, you know, the notion of a democracy willingly turning to a single strongman to run the show is kind of an important story, too. And the prequels botch that as well.

I see where your coming from but in reality the droids were the comedy aspect of SW and they provided the comedy relief during the original trilogy, the problem is George forgot about this and decided we needed the hilarious antics of Jar Jar Binks.

TPM isn't just a bad SW film, it's just a terrible film all over. The dialog is horrific and all over the place, for example:-

OB1: "I have a bad feeling about this"
QUIGON: "I don't sense anything"

Really QGJ? you are a master jedi and you don't sense ANYTHING? You don't sense the massive deception, you don't sense a plot by the trade federation? You don't sense an attack which is just moments away?......great first line of the film, way to go George.

ANAKIN: "Are you an Angel?"

Nope, because Christian and Catholic icons such as angels would not be in the SW universe. That's the young Darth Vader's first line.....again, way to go George.

In all honestly I could go on for ages about all the failings of TPM but I'd end up with a massively long drawn out post.
Agree with everything you said. To me, though, the biggest failing of TPM was that it lacked a strong evil presence. Yes, it had Darth Maul, but he was basically a speechless thug who only appeared in a few scenes. It had Palpatine, but he was still in hiding and, thus, didn't bring fear to everyone else. The Nemoidians were the central "bad guys" as far as the other characters were concerned and their actions were draped in political overtones.

On top of that, we heard of the "great suffering" that the Naboo people were experiencing - but we never saw it. As far as we knew, they were all hanging out in the palace eating grapes while being watched over by battle droids. There never was a sense that Padme had to get back to Naboo as fast as she could in order to save her people. She simply says "I'm returning to Naboo to save my people" and we are all like "um, ok".

I was also expecting a love triangle between Obi Wan - Anakin - Padme, but that never came to be.

Agree with everything you said. To me, though, the biggest failing of TPM was that it lacked a strong evil presence. Yes, it had Darth Maul, but he was basically a speechless thug who only appeared in a few scenes. It had Palpatine, but he was still in hiding and, thus, didn't bring fear to everyone else. The Nemoidians were the central "bad guys" as far as the other characters were concerned and their actions were draped in political overtones.

On top of that, we heard of the "great suffering" that the Naboo people were experiencing - but we never saw it. As far as we knew, they were all hanging out in the palace eating grapes while being watched over by battle droids. There never was a sense that Padme had to get back to Naboo as fast as she could in order to save her people. She simply says "I'm returning to Naboo to save my people" and we are all like "um, ok".

I was also expecting a love triangle between Obi Wan - Anakin - Padme, but that never came to be.

Imagine waiting 15 years for a new SW movie and the opening crawl begins with "Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Republic. The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute".

I imagine most kids were wondering what the hell they came to watch, it's just boring from the outset. Then on top of that you have set pieces which make no sense whatsoever. Naboo, which looks all roman and beautiful with cascading waterfalls suddenly has a MASSIVE power plant hidden away for a grand backdrop to the Darth Maul fight. Why is it there? What do they need it for? It looks like something from the Death Star.

It's just ridiculous. After 15 years that is the best George could do......really?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back