Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I'm pretty sure no one read what I wrote past "EU". I in no way want an adaptation of any of the EU novels. What I think they would be dumb to do would be to just wipe the slate clean and completely overwrite the EU. They could easily do the movies without changing the EU at all. Also the thing that goes against people saying they will ignore the EU is that Lucas has put EU characters and locations into the movies and the Clone Wars.

As far as killing the EU with the movie, depending on what Lucasfilm makes on the novels, video games, etc. it wouldn't be a real smart move. People will stop reading them as soon as they know Lucasfilm considers them irrelevant and there goes their revenue. Now a few people insist they don't make that much money on this stuff, well then why are they making it? You don't keep making things if they aren't making a good profit.

I seriously question your math. The novels which would no longer will be canon are drop in the bucket. I am just astonished by how those invested emotionally in the EU post ROTJ are chained to it and assume the rest of fandom, let alone the actual creators and owners of this content, have the same attachment and sense of obligation towards it. I have tried to be direct yet understanding to your arguments but I fatigue from pointing out the obvious to little effect. Guy's, the post ROTJ EU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED WHEN CREATING THESE FILMS. You can either continue to make flimsy arguments why it should be protected or move on, your choice.

what if... and this is completely off the cuff because I'm having a difficult time even imagining a possible continuation of the Skywalker story for 7,8 and 9 but what if Darth Vader secretly had an apprentice he was preparing to help him overthrow the Emperor so he could rule the universe and not be under Palaptine's thumb as a slave. Vader dumped this apprentice once he found out about Luke Skywalker existing.... so, now we have another Sith, trained by Darth Vader and we could even have flashbacks to that training giving us Darth Vader on screen once again! So now we have a Sith baddy bent on reclaiming the power he/she was denied once Vader started to pursue Luke and also seeks to destroy the Skywalker twins and the new Jedi order. So we get another startling revelation about Darth Vader and his intent during the years between RotS and New Hope... meh, just a thought as to how it could go... (I haven't read any EU in 20 years so no idea if this is already been done :D )

Last edited:

I think those who are saying "Palpatine/Sidious and Vader are dead; who's the "Big Bad" going to be?" are missing something. Yes, they're dead, but that doesn't mean the Empire died with them; the Rebels won the battle, but they didn't win the war. For example, U.S. Presidents have been assassinated or died in office, and the government didn't collapse and cease to exist; someone else took their place, and the U.S. government continued as it was. Surely the same would be true of the Empire. Now, I'm not saying the new Emperor would build another Death Star, because that would be far too repetitive from a storytelling perspective, but he/she could have his/her own agenda that poses just as serious a threat to the Rebel Alliance that Palpatine/Sidious and Vader did.

And now that I think about it, this makes some sense (again from a storytelling perspective). The Prequel Trilogy partially focused on the Empire's rise to power under Palpatine's/Sidious' command, and the Original Trilogy partially focused on the Rebels trying to overthrow the Empire's opressive stature. Perhaps the "Sequel Trilogy" should focus on the Rebels, with Luke's and Leia's guidance, returning the Star Wars universe to a Republic state like it was before Palpatine's rule. That would bring things full-circle, and Lucas seems to like that kind of story.

interesting read... whether or not its a true source and those are the plans. certainly sounds legit... won't be long and we should start seeing hints int he IMDB. if we see Hamill, Fisher and Anthony Daniels plugged in then we will know what direction this is going. :love

I can't really see Harrison Ford being involved. I just can't.

You forgot about KOTCS you lucky so and so.

I used to think Ford would only be involved in projects he felt were worthwhile or good. So if he's in I will be a fool again and hope for the best.

Ah, sorry. To early for irony. :)

Well KOTCS imo is a great example of how hard it is to get these films to work. IMO they did a film pretty true to the original concept. Had it been done the same in the 80-ies, it would have been a success. Now ppl hate it. So, can they get the same feeling like the OT in the new film? Perhaps. Would ppl like it. Not so sure.

Star Wars and Indiana Jones are children of its time.

I would imagine that they will not get any decent director willing to do this film. We all know that the hating fan maffia will bash it. I think it will be a really cramped proccess to make it.

Last edited:

I think those who are saying "Palpatine/Sidious and Vader are dead; who's the "Big Bad" going to be?" are missing something. Yes, they're dead, but that doesn't mean the Empire died with them; the Rebels won the battle, but they didn't win the war. For example, U.S. Presidents have been assassinated or died in office, and the government didn't collapse and cease to exist; someone else took their place, and the U.S. government continued as it was. Surely the same would be true of the Empire. Now, I'm not saying the new Emperor would build another Death Star, because that would be far too repetitive from a storytelling perspective, but he/she could have his/her own agenda that poses just as serious a threat to the Rebel Alliance that Palpatine/Sidious and Vader did.
Since things work more like medieval times in the Star Wars movies - just look at how they do battle - the loss of the leader means the loss of the war. It's only in more modern times here that the country continues even when the leader dies, but that's because an American president really isn't the same as a sole ruler.

Sure... the military is still there, but with the loss of Palpatine, they are no longer serving the galactic empire, as he's been overthrown - they are now directly under the rule of the rebel alliance. Whether they'll accept that is another matter, but the Empire is gone with the death of Palpatine... so if the military continues to fight... then they'll be fighting for military rule.

Well KOTCS imo is a great example of how hard it is to get these films to work. IMO they did a film pretty true to the original concept. Had it been done the same in the 80-ies, it would have been a success. Now ppl hate it. So, can they get the same feeling like the OT in the new film? Perhaps. Would ppl like it. Not so sure.
Seriously. KotCS is a formulaic action adventure movie done in the same way the wannabe Indiana Jones SyFy movies are done - CRAPPY. The last one ISN'T Indiana Jones... it's just another one of those TRYING to be.

Seriously. KotCS is a formulaic action adventure movie done in the same way the wannabe Indiana Jones SyFy movies are done - CRAPPY. The last one ISN'T Indiana Jones... it's just another one of those TRYING to be.

I coud argue it is, but you sound so aggresive and seem to have made up your mind, so I will not bother.

Going way back to my teenage year i liked the game Shadows of the Empire for Nintendo 64. I even bought the soundtrack and it was great.
It was not made by John william but sounded great and fitted the starwars story.

Star Wars and Indiana Jones are children of its time.

I would imagine that they will not get any decent director willing to do this film. We all know that the hating fan maffia will bash it. I think it will be a really cramped proccess to make it.

Bingo.

This is precisely why I think the easiest approach is to just set the story far in the future. The numerals on the thing don't automatically mean it has to be about the Skywalker/Solo clan. Just move on from that already. We've seen what happens why they try to interconnect stuff and do constant references back to material that came out years ago. It just looks like cheap fan service and it hems the story in.

You can tell a better story by just going past all of that in the timeline. WAY past it.

I seriously question your math. The novels which would no longer will be canon are drop in the bucket. I am just astonished by how those invested emotionally in the EU post ROTJ are chained to it and assume the rest of fandom, let alone the actual creators and owners of this content, have the same attachment and sense of obligation towards it. I have tried to be direct yet understanding to your arguments but I fatigue from pointing out the obvious to little effect. Guy's, the post ROTJ EU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED WHEN CREATING THESE FILMS. You can either continue to make flimsy arguments why it should be protected or move on, your choice.

To be clear. My objection to setting the film in the immediate post-ROTJ era isn't about preserving the EU. I mean, I've got the books if they retcon 'em, so no biggie. I just don't see them totally throwing out all of it and wiping the slate clean.

My objection is more that it's going to weaken the story to tie it so closely with the OT. KOTCS should have taught us that you can't go home again. What you can do, however, is create a new home. Let the past go and create something wholly new, unencumbered by the OT. The OT and the PT provide you with a setting for your story. That's it. That's all you need. It's not about saving the EU. It's about saving 7-9 from being like KOTCS by trying to shoehorn the old characters into a new setting in a new era. Just don't do it. Let it go and do something new.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back