Spoiler review of Snow White and the Huntsman

Rotwang

Sr Member
The Hollywood dictionary defines dark as follows "The mostest and bestest superlative evar, an automatic improvement on any given subject, the easiest way to betterify every single story every written."

I keep hearing the word dark being used like a word that magically makes any film instantly utterly perfect.

Snow White is a drab, mirthless, plodding tale written in the belief that all you need to write a great story is to have near endless supplies of gloom.

The real shame is that in my opinion the film could have been up there with Lord of the Rings, Narnia etc as an epic, but it very consistently fails to deliver any payoffs, I simply greeted the end credits with a sigh of relief.

The first problem is Kristen Stewart, she's purty and has perfected the despondent look like no other, it's sad she doesn't have any other acting skills worth mentioning. They tried to salvage by giving her a lot of heavily suggested "inner beauty" and a sudden dose of pluck for the last chapter, but little else. No growth, she has near zero charisma. It's like she was sedated through all of her scenes.

The huntsman is a showcase of drama, all drama, nothing but drama, being used to pad out a character that lacks all characterization.

SWATH is a film that introduces a bunch of plot points, but seems to forget them as soon as the next scene rolls on. The love triangle between SW, The Huntsman and the duke's son is left dangling. (Note to Hollywood, we pay money to see a FINISHED PRODUCT, not a pre-release extended trailer of the Blu-Ray or a forthcoming longer special edition.)

Even the dwarves get the shaft and up poo creek without a pickaxe. I'll admit I liked their design more than the upcoming Hobbit ones, but they never really get to shine, despite a cast of mostly well-proven actors. Bob Hoskins' blind Muir keeps touchingly telling us about some incredible and fair Snow White, but we never get to see her on screen and we have to take his word for it, besides some ham fisted attempts with a magical deer and some bad CGI elves (effects were mostly seamless throughout the film). The Dwarves get a few token funny and touching scenes and a much welcome relief from the overbearing drabness of the whole film.

Charlize Theron gives us a superbly unhinged evil queen that is justifiably evil, but only if you truly believe that abused women turn into evil unhinged feminists.

At various points in the film, scenes seem to briefly channel previous epic films. Some scenes reminded me of classics such as Excalibur, Knights of the Round Table, or the silent Die Niebelungen. Being reminded of such great films just makes the comparison with SWATH all the more grating.

It's a very confused film that is ruined by the belief that "dark" will magically make it a masterpiece of cinema. It mistakes drama for character development or simply doesn't even bother, and ultimately fails to deliver a decent payoff for the audience.

It seems to have enough aces (superb actors, excellent design, top notch effects) in the deck to be a great film. I'd love it to be a great film, but it lacks a decent plot and tries to apply a formula to the story in the same way a rapist applies himself to a young woman in a dark alley.

The plot just never adds up. Snow White manages to escape her many years of confinement in a medieval dungeon, before finding herself whisked off by a magical horse into an evil forest for no other reason than to be trapped there and to be found/rescued by the Huntsman. They do encounter a troll for the sole purpose of having a money shot in the trailer. Am I the only one who believed the troll would return at the end for a good can of whoopass ? Alas, it seems that SWATH believed it was to cool for such a conceit.

One final note. Who has the name and address of the person who made it mandatory that every single medieval/ancient film should have some kind of flaming, highly-explosive catapult projectiles ? I'd love to have a meeting with that person and a blunt, rusty hacksaw. The assault on the castle briefly turned into Omaha beach being shelled by 150mm artillery.

My conclusion is that SWATH is not only a bad film, but one where you can do little but wonder why so much great potential ended up being so utterly mediocre.

Last edited:
The first problem is Kristen Stewart, she's purty and has perfected the despondent like no other, it's sad she doesn't have any other acting skills worth mentioning. They tried to salvage by giving her a lot of heavily suggested "inner beauty" and a sudden dose of pluck for the last chapter, but little else. No growth, she has near zero charisma. It's like she was sedated through all of her scenes.

My recommendation on the making of the film was to have her be put to sleep in the first five minutes and not wake up until the last five minutes, salvaging the Running Time - 10 minutes of the movie.

i agree with all, it wasnt a good movie.

especially not, if you watch it right after mib3

and i still dont see how they could be stupid enough to think they could pass of kirsten stewart as the prettiest one, compared to charlize theron

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Snow White should be universally beautiful. Someone like Liv Tyler, or emily browning.

I talked to a lot of people that really hated this movie a lot and consider it one of the worst movies of the year. I personally enjoyed it more then those folks, it might have been because I was very excited for it ever since I saw the first trailer.

As it wasn't the best film of the year, I enjoyed it
What Allosaur said.

But, as I said in the original thread:

JD said:
Well, could've been better... could've been worse.

Hemsworth stole the show.

Theron overacted.

Stewart didn't blow it nor did she steal the show. Seemed like they could've done more to make her more beautiful - the make up people and the camera angles seemed to go out of their way at times to not do her any favors. She's a pretty girl and they didn't really seem to play that up as you would've thought they should.

The film looked and sounded great. First time in a long time that I actually noticed the 'sound' of a movie. It was more than a bit long and and I kinda dug that it wasn't a wordy film (ie, they didn't use the script to move along/reiterate the plot).

Some great visuals - but, in the end it just seemed to be doing effects and just hanging on those shots rather than moving it along.

Having given it more thought I feel it's more of a massively missed opportunity than a bad film. They have everything to make a great epic, but the first-time director may have been too ambitious and failed to find the proper balance and didn't quite make the right priorities.

Some editing and a few extra scenes might do wonders here.

Just got back from watching this.

I sort of hesitate to post this after reading comments here and other threads (I NEVER read threads here on the board of movies I haven't seen yet), but ....

Brilliant !!! Loved it !! More !! :lol :lol :lol

It finished waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to quickly !!

Seriously though, throughout the whole movie I couldn't stop muttering to myself "Brilliant ! Brilliant !"

To be honest, I was getting a little tired of watching practically nothing but Superhero / Sci-fi etc movies.

I am still feeling so very, very, very mushy feel-good :lol :)

About time I watched / someone released a movie based on a true 'classic', with all the elements right there (apple, wicked queen, enchanted mirror, the kiss / wake-up call, dwarves etc), action, magic, fairies, enchanted forests, romance, good music, nice effects in the right balance, an agressive Snow White a-la-Joan-of-Arc :lol, happy ending etc etc etc. Man I could go on and on ... and on :lol

Oh, and the Wicked Queen was way, way, hotter than Snow White :lol

What more could I have asked for !

:cool:cool:cool

Getting this on DVD, 100%.

Prop-wise, nothing really caught my eye, but one thing I spotted was the Wicked Queen's necklace, at one point when she is falling over or something, you get a quick millisecond glimpse of the back of it, which is clearly seen to be 'hollow' :(

That was the only 'let-down', but I chalk that down to spotting of a nit-picky editing glitch on my behalf.

Did I say I loved this movie :lol ? It made me feel like a kid in a toy store !

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back