Popeye, the movie...am I the only person who knows this exists?

go for the region one disc if you can find it bud, the uk release was trimmed of some scenes and a couple of songs

I stole so many of my street performance routines from Bill Irwin's schtick in that movie.

You can see him in 'My Blue Heaven' with Steve Martin and Rick Moranis as well.

Oh, and he was Cindy Lou Who's father in 'The Grinch' movie.

'Popeye' is totally underrated. I seem to have MEMORIZED that 'Making of' paperback, and the photos of the Sweethaven set on Malta are making me grin as I type this. Robin Williams may hate it, but for a kid who grew up watching Tom Hatten play Popeye cartoons here in LA through my childhood, 'Popeye' was a perfect transfer from comic to big screen.

My brother and I watched it so many times (had it on Betamax!) that we broke the tape. We still sing, "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!" every time we go to White Castle.

I loved this movie. I remember when my my family got our first betamax (yes....betamax) this was the first movie I taped. I must have watched that thing 50 times and in particular the bar scene fight between Popeye and the thugs.

Killer movie. I went to Malta back in 2004 and something in the back of my head was screaming movie location. Yup Popeyes village! I need to dig out some pics from that trip.

My folks used to put this on tv every time they showed it when I was little and it was one of the first movies we rented when we got a vcr. They actually even showed it to us in elementary school one day along with Never Ending Story. It doesn't get the love it deserves.

I'm wondering if it was because it was his first movie. I think he was perfect for the role.
Now that I think about it, I believe it was the fact that it was a "musical", and he wasn't comfortable with his ability to sing. For me, it was cool that none of the lead characters had great singing voices, so it was exactly like the original cartoons (which were black & white, musical in nature, and the characters sang in the same voice that they spoke with).

what i remember most about this film was all of the hype the year before it was released. Cinemafantastique or Fangoria i can't quite remember which magazine had a large behind the scenes spread that i read over and over. I remember the expectations were high.

what i remember most about this film was all of the hype the year before it was released. Cinemafantastique or Fangoria i can't quite remember which magazine had a large behind the scenes spread that i read over and over. I remember the expectations were high.

I think I had that mag - I had one that had a huge pic of Robin dancing on the water - I cut it out and put it on my wall.

One of the funniest songs in the movie that I remember my cousins laughing at was Olive's

"He's LARGE!"
(backup) "LARGE"

I finally got it years later.

I've been aware of it since the year it was made. Can't stand it, though. Can't stand any cartoons turned into live action. Awful rubbish, all of them, without exception.

i vaguely remember i heard somewhere that this movie existed a while ago, but it was not until this thread that i actually looked for it and watched it :D
sadly my copy had poor audio with lots of noise, but it still was fun to watch :)
im a great robin williams fan so i had no choice but to watch it :D

I've been aware of it since the year it was made. Can't stand it, though. Can't stand any cartoons turned into live action. Awful rubbish, all of them, without exception.

gtfo-clean.png

Robin Williams Popeye is a timeless classic. Always did love that film. The entire cast is perfect!!!!

Robin and Shelley sounded just like the cartoon counterparts and looked the part as well.

Dave :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back