Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

...Give us a good simple pirate story and I'll be happy.
I'd love to see this happen, but they've kind of painted themselves into a corner by deciding these movies need some kind of supernatural element. It worked well in Curse of the Black Pearl, but after that they should have gone with good old-fashioned pirate movies. If they suddenly decided to do that now, I'm sure most people would be asking, "But where are the skeletons/fish people/zombies/mermaids/fill-in-the-blank?", so they're stuck with the concept. Assuming On Stranger Tides was the beginning of a second trilogy, they might be able to do away with the supernatural nonsense for the sixth movie and end the franchise with a real pirate movie; time will tell.

Why take away a part of them that is so integral?

I'd rather see what else they can come up with for Jack Sparrow....excuse me Captain Jack Sparrow.

I'd rather see what else they can come up with for Jack Sparrow....excuse me Captain Jack Sparrow.

Agreed. I think POTC needs a dash of the supernatural. Pirates were a superstitious bunch so it makes sense to have that in their world. It just shouldn't be overdone.

Good question, but in a way you've proven my point. The supernatural elements are only integral because they've made four movies that included it to some degree. I think they could tell (or could have told) pirate stories that are just as interesting and entertaining without the supernatural elements but, apparently, for most people pirates in and of themselves aren't interesting enough.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies for what they are. But at this point I'd be more interested in taking away the supernatural nonsense and see Captain Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbossa being pirates.

I'd hold off believing anything regarding filming in Purerto Rico. Burckheimer Films denied anything regarding filming coming up in PR and Terry Rossio aka scribe of POTC 1-4 mentioned on The WordPlayer.com that yes a script is in the works but nothing is a GO until contracts are signed.

The Sunset is homeported in LB so it makes sense to bring her back to her port for insurance reasons.

I'll await the ACTION that comes with day one filming.

The ride itself has elements of the supernatural - plus, before POTC - pirate movies were notorious to fail at the BO.

And there is nothing filming - Terry is still writing the script and Depp wants a break after Lone Ranger.

Good question, but in a way you've proven my point. The supernatural elements are only integral because they've made four movies that included it to some degree. I think they could tell (or could have told) pirate stories that are just as interesting and entertaining without the supernatural elements but, apparently, for most people pirates in and of themselves aren't interesting enough.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies for what they are. But at this point I'd be more interested in taking away the supernatural nonsense and see Captain Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbossa being pirates.

As Orange_Blend mentioned, the supernatural is very much part of pirate mythos. To a certain extent, they're making the movies based on what things would be like if pirate/sailor tales were true - and Disney is the king of bringing fairy tales to life.

I also agree that, in 2/3/4 it was over done - the supernatural should be secondary to the story, not the basis. Of course it's interesting because the legendary "quest for treasure"/treasure map is mythical and not historical.

Only thing I don't think we want is a PotC movie that tries to portray "real" pirate life - we don't want "real" but perhaps we want "realistic". The pirates of lore are pretty different than the pirates of history and I think that's the thrust behind PotC - to bring us the pirates of myth and lore, not history - and the supernatural plays right into that.

In this new movie we find out that Jack Sparrows father is actually Darth Vader.....

(runs and hides....)

...Only thing I don't think we want is a PotC movie that tries to portray "real" pirate life - we don't want "real" but perhaps we want "realistic". The pirates of lore are pretty different than the pirates of history...
Oh, absolutely. If any movie studio were to produce a movie that accurately showed what it was like to live a pirate's life, even if it was set during the "golden age" of piracy (i.e. 1650-1730 A.D.), I think it would be a real eye opener for most people. And, except perhaps for scenes of them taking a prize, pretty boring.

Real pirates were trash. Most of them were nothing but street gangs roaming in ships. They would be sticking up liquor stores if they lived on land today.

Come, come now...Disney doesn't do "real" ;).

Not even close to original lore, in fact. Disney Princesses are a great view into that. Their actual story counterparts are often far more gruesome and "realistic" as opposed to the happy, happy, joy, joy lives of the a-typical Disney Princess.

My bf and I were huge PotC fans for the first 3 films. Did Liz and Will costumes for the better part of those years. Got real tired of it and still have yet to see the fourth...really don't want to -_-. We stopped half in part due to people who kind of ruined it for us, and half in part because the story was just withering.

There's rumors trickling in that Will might be back for the fifth...hopefully Kiera isn't in that desperate need of a paycheck.

Didn't think Orlando was...but...*shrugs*. Disney will keep producing these as long as they make a schmidgen worth of money -_-.

Well, if Disney wanted to tell a real pirate story, have them give me a call. I'll tell them all I know about Edward Teach since he is a blood relative of mine, mothers side of the family.:cool

Re: POTC 5 confirmed? Jeff Nathanson hired to help write script

Dear God please make it stop! :lol

Re: POTC 5 confirmed? Jeff Nathanson hired to help write script

Don't believe everything you read on the Internetz! And I don't know if I would consider these to be good movies.......... "Speed 2: Cruise Control, the last two Rush Hour movies and Tower Heist"

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back