The Peanuts Movie (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
PEANUTS to Be Adapted into Feature Film by Fox Animation and Blue Sky Studios | Collider

Fifth PEANUTS Movie To Be Made | Badass Digest
The last Peanuts movie was released in 1980, so I will be glad if Peanuts gets some mainstream media attention again. And if the movie helps new generation of kids to discover the Peanuts characters leading them to check out the comics, then I am all for it.

That reminds me I need to get back into collecting all the Complete Peanuts Books, which I didn't beyond the initial couple of volumes. Now there are 18 books already.

Last edited:
Re: PEANUTS Movie by Blue Sky Studios

Hope they keep it the same style and don't go 3D animation.

Snoopy Rules!

I agree. The charm in schultz's drawings is in their simplicity and imperfection. The glossy-perfection of modern animation would just kill it.

That said, I think Happiness Is A Warm Blanket was the first Peanuts cartoon since the originals that came close to recapturing that style.

Last edited:

I think Schultz's family has control over the property so I'm sure if they don't like something they won't allow it. I know that Dr. Suess' wife was very picky about the way movies based on his books were made.

Hope they keep it the same style and don't go 3D animation.
Blue Sky Studios is a pure-3D studio, so I find it unlikely that it won't be 3D, at least in some way.
It could be that most of it is animated in 3D and rendered in a line-art style and that the details are cell-animated ... but that is not certain. I'm afraid that it could be a new Tintin ...

I know that Dr. Suess' wife was very picky about the way movies based on his books were made.

Thats still doesnt excuse her for selling the rights when he requested for them to never see the light of film.

My wife came home with a copy of Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat movie for my son and I threw it straight in the bin and told her "Next time buy the book"

This truly sucks. Charles didn't want any Peanuts media to continue after he passed - he put a dot on the end of the comis and said that was that - this wish should have been respected - but thanks to the fact Sparky's no good son in law managed to convince his wife to license a few toys the money got good to them. Good grief.

This truly sucks. Charles didn't want any Peanuts media to continue after he passed - he put a dot on the end of the comis and said that was that - this wish should have been respected - but thanks to the fact Sparky's no good son in law managed to convince his wife to license a few toys the money got good to them. Good grief.

There has been more than a few toys. There has even been a new comic book, and not reprints of Sparky's work, but drawn by new people. It sucks!!

Saw a piece about it on ABC news from Chris Connelly (formally of MTV I believe) said Sparkys son is leading the way...supposed to release in 2015, which is also the 50th Anniversary of the Charlie Brown Christmas Special...always a staple viewing at my household. I look forward to it but again, with saddness, cause it never really be the same without the true creator CS leading the way. Have been a "blockhead" most of my life. Chuck Rules

This calls for a Snoopy Dance.
Snoopy.gif

I still have all my old Peanuts books. In the 70's they were sold as paperback books at about a buck twenty five each. I still have about 100 of them.

Oddly, Charlie Brown stuff always reminds me of toast. When I was a little kid I would make myself about 8 pieces of toast, dunk them in my milk and read Peanuts.

Peanuts was also where I first started drawing. Surprisingly, for how simple the artwork is, drawing the peanuts charactors is really not that easy. Getting those heads right is damn hard!! Oh, the hours I spent, as a kid, doing Charlie Brown and Snoopy bulletin boards for my school teachers and Sunday school teachers........never saw a darn cent....

First Look At Snoopy & Charlie Brown | Movie News | Empire

13238104804_42690999b0_o.png

The teaser trailer will likely be online later today.

From the article:

" With Ice Age: Continental Drift director Steve Martino calling the shots and Paul Feig producing alongside members of the Schulz family (Charles Schulz died in 2000), the film is tied to the original comic strip’s 65th anniversary, with a release date set for November 2015.

“We have been working on this project for years," Craig Schulz told Deadline when the project was announced. "We finally felt the time was right and the technology is where we need it to be to create... a Peanuts movie that is true to the strip and will continue the legacy in honour of my father. Collaborating with a talent like Paul is a great step forward. Knowing how Peanuts, especially Charlie Brown’s never-give-up-attitude, has influenced him throughout his life makes this partnership even more meaningful." "

Paul Feig is the creator of Freaks and Geeks and he directed The Heat in 2013.

The old Peanuts sucked, bring in the new stuff!

Also, The Lorax and Horton Hears A Who are awesome :D

First Look at PEANUTS Movie; Filmmakers Comment on Protecting the Legacy, Embracing 3D, and Visiting Snoopy’s Fantasy World

From the article:

" Following up on the belief that now is the right time for a new Peanuts movie, Craig Schulz hopes to put any doubts to rest in the USA Today feature:

“I’m way more protective than my father would have been. Our No.1 goal was always to be authentic to his work and legacy.”

Regarding the plot, Schulz only noted, “It’s about a round-headed kid and his dog, and that’s about as far as I’m willing to go.” But a few details surfaced:

- Charlie Brown’s lifelong crush the “Little Red-Haired Girl” will make an appearance.
- Martino says the detailed animation will show that “Snoopy has soft-white fur.”
- “We’re going to fly with Snoopy in his fantasy world. We have a bigger canvas. Bill Melendez got Snoopy off the ground in the TV specials. We’re going to take it a step further.” – Martino

As for the 3D, Schulz believes his father would have “embraced the technology.” Schulz elaborates:

“It would have been absolutely logical for him to have come onboard. And it brings you closer into the comic strip.”

Feig says everyone involved with the production wants to remain true to the “sweet optimism” of the original material, promising:

“Snoopy will not be rapping, no one will be twerking, we’re in good hands.”

I am wary, but it could be fun to revisit this world with a new lens, so I hope Blue Sky, Feig, and the Schulzes can deliver. "

I can deal with that for animation. Looks good.

I still have all my old paperbacks of Peanuts, or as we just always called it "Charlie Brown". Does anyone actually call it Peanuts?

There is only one problem with animated Peanuts, and I mean ALL animated Peanuts--and that is the character of Snoopy. The Snoopy of the cartoons (yes, even the Christmas special) is NOT the Snoopy of the comic strip. While Snoopy never actually spoke, he thought!! He had more written dialogue than any other member of the group. His character had more style, opinions, and comedic wit than Brian of Family Guy. Snoopy was the most in-depth character of the whole bunch. This is completely lost in all the animation. In the animation he is reduced to a squeeking inept bumbler. At least 50% of all the greatness that Schulz wrote and drew is completely devoid in the animation. I never understood why they just didn't do him like Garfield, no mouth movement but you still hear his voice.

Hopefully Martino realizes that.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back