Pacific Rim (Post-release)

There is a 2D version because I saw it. Your theater decided to rip you off. That will probably start happening more and more.

I happened to like the scientists, but they could have toned it down a bit. I loved the public bunker scene. "It's after the little dude!"

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

How you managed to watch a 2D version of a movie that WB said was only being released in 3D (against Del Toro wishes) and can't be found in anything but 3D in 5 theater's i looked at... i don't know...

The 2 Guzzo, AMC, Starz and the local independent only have it in 3D (and 2 of them have them in 3D IMAX).

3D is also almost double in price here... :facepalm

There is a 2D version, that's the version I saw, probably the theaters in your area all decided not to carry it. I'd really like to see the source that says WB only released this in 3D, sounds like someone was pulling your chain.

I saw this yesterday (in 2D as well) and thought it was pretty good. It was exactly what I thought it was going to be. The plot was thin but it was giant robots knocking the crap out of giant monsters, what more do you want in a popcorn flick? I felt it was worth the price of admission for sure. I was distracted by Charlie Day though. He's a super scientist and all I could see when he spoke was his character from Always Sunny.

The sources were the local theaters. We complained about not having a 2D version and we got the exact same answer from all the theater's here.

3D release only, Del Toro not happy about it. Then it went to facebook about people complaining about that.

So we coughed up money for 3D (which sucked btw... it looked really faked and they blurred out all the backgrounds = couldn't see details). It was that or IMAX 3D which is RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

Really not happy, especially since you guys got to see it in 2D...

http://www.cinemasguzzo.com/12-cinemas-schedules-Mega-Plex_Marche_Central_18__IMAX_.html
http://www.cinestarz.ca/main.php?theater=cot (Shows a 2D version ONLY on the 1st screening, we went there, no screening was available, mistake on the website).

The 3 other theater's, 2 don't have a website, and the third doesn't have a montreal page.

We went to all of them, 3D only... :(

There were both versions playing in UK cinemas and everywhere , so it seems there is something strange going on in the US.Bad news is PR is looking like finishing third this weekend ( in the US ) at just over $38 million which has got to hurt it(and Legendary). Not beaten by much though, so good word of mouth might pick it up next week. I really hope it kicks ass world wide and this is will not be the movie Lucas and Spielberg were say would take a "company out". Strangely "prophetic" it would seem. I still think this would have played far better as a release in the school holidays.

There were both versions playing in UK cinemas and everywhere , so it seems there is something strange going on in the US.Bad news is PR is looking like finishing third this weekend ( in the US ) at just over $38 million which has got to hurt it(and Legendary). Not beaten by much though, so good word of mouth might pick it up next week. I really hope it kicks ass world wide and this is will not be the movie Lucas and Spielberg were say would take a "company out". Strangely "prophetic" it would seem. I still think this would have played far better as a release in the school holidays.

It's doing good. It came out Thursday, we are Sunday, $38 millions. Not bad id say.

Especially considering everyone is on vacation travelling (not going to theaters) and kids are in summer camps (not going to theaters).

Pacific Rim Box Office:

Domestic: $38.3 million
International: $53 million
Total worldwide opening: $91.3 million

People seem to have quite the excuses for not watching Pacific Rim.

And then there are those that state the movie is not original enough (and then will watch another nth sequel of Pirates and Transformers) and that it borrowed from various anime, as if all mecha genre supposed to be limited only to anime. Though the movie is influenced by the mecha anime genre, it didn't rip off and display elements directly from existing works. The movie and its design is more original than any of the previous summer blockbusters of this year.

This is a great summer action flick! For me, it's the best anyone has come to making a movie that replicates the feeling I got from watching Independence Day. It's got bad ***** aliens, awesome robots, great action, great special effects, and good acting from low budge actors.

The only drawback for me was the two scientists. They reminded me of the annoying twin autobots in Revenge of the Fallen. They added little to the film and weren't funny at all, but other than them I really liked this movie.

It sounds like there was some sort of price fixing going on there in Montreal. Today the theater I saw it at here in Central Florida has two showings in 3D and eight showings in 2D.

Interestingly enough, I saw on CNN this morning they had producer Lynda Obst on to talk about her book "Sleepless in Hollywood" and why we see so many sequels now. At one point she mentioned how in a lot of overseas markets, particularly China, they only release movies in 3D.

It sounds like there was some sort of price fixing going on there in Montreal. Today the theater I saw it at here in Central Florida has two showings in 3D and eight showings in 2D.

Interestingly enough, I saw on CNN this morning they had producer Lynda Obst on to talk about her book "Sleepless in Hollywood" and why we see so many sequels now. At one point she mentioned how in a lot of overseas markets, particularly China, they only release movies in 3D.

Well that blows... :(

Recent profound tweets from writer Devin Faraci about Pacific Rim.

"A 15 year old kid was blown away by PACIFIC RIM this weekend. In 20 years she'll make a culture-changing movie of her own."

"That's how we measure the value of art. It's not ticket sales, it's people touched."

"I'm not writing off PACRIM. A- CinemaScore and 3 weeks more at IMAX means the future is unwritten. But whatever happens, $ isn't the legacy."

Just saw it. It was everything I wanted it to be.

A buddy's comment when the biologist was hiding in the refugee shelter: "The monster's hunting JJ Abrams because he didn't like Star Trek."
My reply: "See, the monsters aren't all bad."

Whether the movie is good or bad, 38 million for opening weekend of a tentpole summer action flick is ridiculously low. To put that in to perspective, it placed 3rd it's opening weekend - behind Grown Ups 2 and Despicable Me 2 (which has been out for a week already). You can compare it to Dredd last year: the people who saw it really enjoyed it, but not enough people actually went out to see it. Part of me wants to say "well, it's only the opening weekend" but in 99.9% of all cases, box office sales only go down once it's released.

That is certainly the case with "The Lone Ranger" which is sinking so fast you can hear the screams from the studio executives across the Atlantic. But the world wide performance of Pacific Rim was not bad, and the key markets ,Japan and China have yet to open. I agree there is no way this is going to be a monster hit (and I bet the backers and producers of the new " Godzilla " movie are panicking right now) but estimates place it at about $300 million total when done. Not a disaster ,but very much a disappointment.

Should they have done more marketing?

Currently 87% on rottentomatoes.

Three of my favorite movies (Blade Runner, The Big Lebowski, Mallrats) did poorly at the box office. In a few years, Pacific Rim will be a cult classic with an extended cut release and people will wish they saw it in an IMAX 3D theater.

Last edited:
Correction, the worldwide take is estimated to be approx. $400m, not $300m, according to Variety. If that's the case movie will be a slight loss when you include marketing.

Marketing definitely dropped the ball, seemed like they were trying to target interest rather than awareness. WB & Legendary marketed this movie assuming the majority of Americans knew what kaiju films were (clearly they did not). The relative success overseas in select regions (namely near Asia) is proof of this, where kaiju and anime aren't foreign concepts.

Could be worse - least it's doing better than Dredd! I'm going to see PR again in full IMAX 3D next weekend, hoping the 2nd weekend drop isn't going to be massive.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back