Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    India
    Jun 29, 2013, 1:13 AM - Re: Pacific Rim #151

third3ye said: View Post
    Ugh, projecting mid-$30m opening, not good at all.
    Box Office: ?Pacific Rim? May Have a Giant Problem | Variety
    Hollywood mystery: Who is trying to kill Pacific Rim?
    Here is the deeper story related to that.

Hopefully their tracking numbers will be way off during opening weekend.
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Jun 29, 2013, 10:10 AM - Re: Pacific Rim #152

Thanks, Vivek. It does seem odd to say the least. I have yet to be dissapointed by Del Torro's work. I just ordered the three figures for my son and I to have some awesome adventure time with . Looking forward to this one.
    Jun 29, 2013, 10:46 AM - Re: Pacific Rim #153

Just looked up the 3D on this one.. looks like it's a "hybrid" 3D conversion. So the live action stuff is shot 2D and converted, but all of the CGI is rendered natively in 3D. So the best parts of the movie will also have the best 3D implementation. Definitely want to see this one.

It's odd, too, because when I first saw the trailer, I was kinda "meh". Looked contrived and too far out there, etc. But the closer we get, the more excited I'm getting. Think it's gonna be pretty damned cool.

Interesting about the conspiracies surrounding the marketing. I wonder if Legendary is just waiting until like next week to kick in the big guns and go all-out on the advertising and such?
    From
    Colorado
    Jun 30, 2013, 12:16 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #154

I think this movie is going to surprise a lot of people. I'm about 75% through the "making of" book and I can tell you this isn't just a giant robot vs. giant monster movie. Del Toro is a great storyteller and from his notes in the book this is a story first and foremost about human characters.

A few pics from the book-

The movie is also not just going to be a CG fest. Lots of practical effects- the Jaeger conn pods were done as functioning sets and apparently they were pretty exhausting for the actors in the suits. Two fully functioning hydraulic conn pods were constructed and each Jaeger pilot had six suits for various film shots. The photos of the sets in the book are pretty incredible.
    Last edited by Honus; Jun 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Jun 30, 2013, 5:26 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #155

I saw the 3D trailer for this ahead of Man of Steel and was blown away. I'm still not sold on 3D for most films, but this is one I definitely WANT to see in the format!
  6. rodneyfaile is offline rodneyfaile
    Jun 30, 2013, 6:48 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #156

firesprite said: View Post
    I saw the 3D trailer for this ahead of Man of Steel and was blown away. I'm still not sold on 3D for most films, but this is one I definitely WANT to see in the format!
    IMAX 3D!
    From
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #157

From
    Baltimore MD
    Jul 1, 2013, 8:42 AM - Re: Pacific Rim #158

Sweet making of book. Checking to see prices on Amazon right now. I think this movie is going to make bank in a BIG way. I would say if anything, the Lone Ranger may just be this year's John Carter.
    From
    Maryland
    Jul 1, 2013, 10:42 AM - Re: Pacific Rim #159

That's what I was thinking?

I spoke with a young guy at work and he did say that he had no interest in seeing it. I may wait for reviews...BUT I DOUBT IT! Looks too much like the Kaiju film I've been waiting for.

10. rodneyfaile is offline rodneyfaile
    Jul 1, 2013, 2:58 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #160

The previews make me want to see Sentinals in the next Xmen movie.
  11. El Duderino is offline El Duderino
    Jul 1, 2013, 7:36 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #161

From
    riverside ca
    Jul 2, 2013, 11:42 AM - Re: Pacific Rim #162

crabra comander said: View Post
    That's what I was thinking?

I spoke with a young guy at work and he did say that he had no interest in seeing it. I may wait for reviews...BUT I DOUBT IT! Looks too much like the Kaiju film I've been waiting for.
    Im sure all the 12 year olds where worried about the tracking for star wars too.

Nobody cares about that nonsense. tracking is for coin counters in the studio offices. Dredd is a great example, bad tracking, performed poorly, one of the best movies of that year. Certainly the best dredd.

Paying attention to tracking is for schmucks.
    From
    Maryland
    Jul 2, 2013, 1:52 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #164

Yeah, I just want to see this succeed. Guillermo del Toro hasn't disappointed me yet.

That guy I spoke with did say he thought Hellboy 2 sucked...
    Jul 2, 2013, 2:09 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #165

Well, Hellboy 2 compared to the first was a let down. I wouldn't say it sucked though.
    From
    Chattanooga, TN
    Jul 2, 2013, 3:22 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #166

Next thing you know people will judge whether or not they are going to go to a movie based upon how many "likes" the placeholder website gets before the film has been finished.
    From
    India
    Jul 2, 2013, 3:43 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #167

From
    Baltimore MD
    Jul 2, 2013, 5:18 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #168

Golden. It never ceases to amaze me. Seeing Pearlman without a mask or in heavy make up. Love the grill on him.
    Jul 2, 2013, 6:51 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #169

The thing is movies weren't designed to be either a definitive hit or bomb after week 1 when star wars game out. Didn't really move that way til closer to 2000.

As it stands now, if you bomb week 1, you're toast. You don't get time to build a rep on your product which is a sad state of affairs.
    From
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Jul 2, 2013, 7:40 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #170

cboath said: View Post
    The thing is movies weren't designed to be either a definitive hit or bomb after week 1 when star wars game out. Didn't really move that way til closer to 2000.

As it stands now, if you bomb week 1, you're toast. You don't get time to build a rep on your product which is a sad state of affairs.
    Batman Begins
    Jul 3, 2013, 11:14 AM - Re: Pacific Rim #171

im excited ! cant wait . hope its good . im going out day one support the movies i want to see ...
  21. RPF Premium Member FordPrefect's Avatar
    From
    Texas
    Jul 3, 2013, 11:23 AM - Re: Pacific Rim #172

mattrendar said: View Post
    im excited ! cant wait . hope its good . im going out day one support the movies i want to see ...
    Feel the same way !! I hope it is GREAT. I normally wait just a bit hate the FULL movie theater so I often work the early times and off days.
    From
    Maryland
    Jul 3, 2013, 11:36 AM - Re: Pacific Rim #173

Shadow345 said: View Post
    Batman Begins
    What happened with Begins? Slow start, I'm assuming?

Either way Kaiju is good. And has anyone seen the Xbox Arcade and PC game? Looks pretty snazzy.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jul 3, 2013, 12:47 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #174

^ While BB is a reboot, it was still leveraging off an existing and well established movie franchise. PR is a completely new product. Apples to oranges. If PR struggles in its first 2-3 weeks, it's going to be a box office flop, more so considering its big budget.

I for one think the tracking is off. I think the geek community will show up in enough numbers to carry this movie on opening weekend, and then word of mouth will help carry the movie in the second weekend.
    From
    Colorado
    Jul 3, 2013, 12:58 PM - Re: Pacific Rim #175

Short feature on the Conn-pods: ?Pacific Rim? Featurette: Guillermo del Toro Takes You Inside the Jaeger?s Head | nerdbastards.com

Who will be first to make a replica Jaeger pilot suit?