new syfy show Jim Henson’s Creature Shop Challenge

Good episode last night with the dark crystal theme. All parties had good builds this time around. Of course some better than others since someone has to booted every week.

I was kinda shocked that Tina & Russ were put back on the same team. But then I thought about it as they wanted to see if they could fix their past mistakes. This time they got a ref / fresh insight in the group with ivonne. Anyway a little drama here & there from project control thus causing some stares and wtf in the heads it seemed.

Likes : desert one body lean away from the sun, mini monster, body movement of the rain forest. Dead body of a creature with rib cage / spine as part of the robe.

dislikes: squirrel creature that Pees ( should have used more of a desert insect / creature..not woods style). Feathers that didn't show much movement on the one.

Sorry Tina, but I think most people knew it was you or Russ that were going home if your creature came in last place. You two played much better together this time around. Just the robotic parts not working right did you in. But hey, you got to do something most people would have loved to do. Good luck to you on your career and builds.

I'm bummed that you didn't make further, Tina. I really hope you can post some build threads on here about what you're up to now and let us know in this thread since we're following it. :D

With such tight time crunches I can't imagine trying to something I've done 100x let alone the way some contestants on these shows are trying something they haven't done a bunch.

The skeksis challenge was the first I've gotten to watch. (Incidentally I'd have completely lost my cool being around the originals.)

I thought there was plenty to like with all three designs. Sorry you had to leave, Tina. Servos and articulations seem to be a very unforgiving part of the design - they either work or they don't. Though it could have been in the way it was edited, I thought it was a bit disingenuous for Russ to hand you the controls to work the eyes when he already knew the system wasn't working. At the very least, he could have warned you.

I really liked that episode since it's one of my favorite movies. I was surprised what they built in three days! I saw one of the original Skeksis puppets that was (this was in 1989) in a puppet museum in Atlanta and those looked almost as good.

, I thought it was a bit disingenuous for Russ to hand you the controls to work the eyes when he already knew the system wasn't working. At the very least, he could have warned you.

It was Tina's job to build and make the robotics work right. She had issues with it so Russ tried to fix it in time. Which it might have work up until the last part. He gave her the remote to see if she could get them to move since they were questioning her on it. Both of them didn't want to,take credit for them, but it was Tina's work that was in question from pee squirrel & the eyes. Puppeteer could have bump a wire that short circuit the unit, who knows.

Next week build. Wall mount in a wizards den comes back to life. Should be a good one as well.

Loved the "Dark Crystal" episode, so happy that the original Crystal is still intact and lovingly maintained. I really liked the Skeksis crafted on the show and thought the winter tundra one was hands down the best of them.

Lex is REALLY adorable, I hope we get to see more of what she's doing on the show.

I really enjoy this show. It's no Face Off but the amount of skill that everyone has to have to bring these things to life is absolutely incredible. Sculpting and making monster make up is cool and all but seeing people having to make it move with animatronics and the amount of work that goes into that; that is impressive. It's bunk that these contestants on this show don't get an almost week long deadline like those guys over on Face Off as I, too, think of the possibilities that these contestants can churn out if they've got enough time to do it.

Sorry you got bumped off, Tina but in all honesty, you didn't come across too good on the show. I don't know how much of it was in editing but it looked like your enthusiasm in everything came to bite you in the end. That inability to focus did you in; it might be harsh sounding but it was a fair decision.

Hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere in the thread, but has anyone noticed that Kirk Thatcher – the judge with the big beard and hat – played the punk rocker in Star Trek IV who Spock nerve – pinched on the bus?

Kirk Thatcher - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

M

Attachments

• Kirk-Thatcher-Punk-Star-Trek-IV.jpg
    Kirk-Thatcher-Punk-Star-Trek-IV.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 55
I've really been enjoying the show, similar to Faceoff the amount of awesome work that these artists can make in 3-4 days is simply stunning.

Tina, you are crazy talented and I'm sorry to see you go so early. I would have loved to see what you could have done in a solo challenge. Please post some of your projects for us to see.

The only negative I have on the show is since the puppets are shown on a soundstage in a 'screen test', I wish we got to see the screen test uninterrupted from the camera view, no cutaways to judges reactions or behind-the-scene shots. If the point is to make a camera-ready creature, I want to see what the camera sees.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from Melissa.

Good show last night. Was sad to see Josh walk away from the show. He was very talented indeed and thought of him as one of the front runners to win. I hope he finds great success in his future works. Maybe he'll get another shot down the line with the shop. Also go marry your girl, two kids (11&8) already..what ya waiting for ?

With Josh walking away he makes Russ & Brain live another day...well I would think Russ since he has been having his ass on the line before.

Russ needs to step up his game. I can see you getting a pass 1/2 times but he's been on the bottom 3 times. You can't put that on the partner every time. I'm really enjoying the show.

It's rough any time someone on one of these big stake reality competitions just walks away - I think of all the people who wanted to be on it and didn't get a shot. Survivor has had quite a few people that found out it was too tough once they were in the game, but this seemed a matter of not really wanting the requirements of the grand prize - maybe he didn't think he'd make it that far or something? I certainly hope he talked to his family before he quit.

That last challenge was a tough one - it's starting to hit me how difficult it is to get creatures to look like they move as real creatures would...

Loved the "Dark Crystal" episode, so happy that the original Crystal is still intact and lovingly maintained.

Indeed! I loved the show too. Great to see the great original Dark Crystal still exists!
Also love the original Chamberlain. Man, they should do prop replicas for sale!

I am really enjoying this show. I just started fabricating with foam, and it is difficult. Seeing these creatures come to life is really rad.
I hope that the next season solves some of the issues they have with the time crunch.

It was a shame you didn't get to stay longer to showcase all of your abilities Tina. Just remember that you are young and have plenty of talent and time to make your dreams come true.

Also isn't Josh (The dude who left of his own will) a member here on the RPF too? I think I saw his Diablo costume build thread here.

I'm waiting for the episode where the contestants have only 3 hours to make a full realized creature, now.

Honestly, they really need to give these guys more time.

I'm waiting for the episode where the contestants have only 3 hours to make a full realized creature, now.

Yeah...and then the judges critique it like it's been months of design. ;p. I second the more time thing...but I do think these judges are better than the face off ones.

I'm still waiting for either of these shows to have cutaways to the judges showing/talking about some technique or how to try this at home type segments. Come on folks...know your audience!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. You really don't get it. The contest is to show people what you can do with LIMITED time, that's what shows true talent. If they can make something impressive in a short period of time, then you know they can go really amazing with a lot of time.

No. You really don't get it. The contest is to show people what you can do with LIMITED time, that's what shows true talent. If they can make something impressive in a short period of time, then you know they can go really amazing with a lot of time.

I retract my last statement to make an amendment:

I'm waiting for the episode where they only have 30 minutes to make a fully realized creature. If you can't do it in that time; you're a loser.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back