So, I'm FINALLY, slowly, upgrading to blu-ray, HDTV, etc.
Here's my questions:
1.) What are "must have" blu-rays? Which films really benefitted and got new transfers? I've heard, for example, that The Terminator did NOT get a new transfer and is basically just an upscaled SD version of the film, but without most of the extras from the DVD set. So, which ones are good investments? Which, if you had them, would you NOT bother upgrading?
3.) Which VERSION of films do you recommend for: Watchmen (I'm trying to find someone selling the Ultimate Cut, but can't find it anywhere), Blade Runner, and Avatar (which I want to get in a 2D/3D edition, but can't seem to find on Amazon).
Off the top of my head, the films I think I will be upgrading include:
- LOTR Extended Edition
- Batman Begins
- Blade Runner
- The Matrix (just the first one...if I can find it standalone)
- Terminator 2 (would've included the first one, but...)
- Alien and Aliens. (The last box set I have is the one from the late 90s, before the Quadrology.)
- Maybe Big Trouble in Little China
- Maybe some of the old Bond films.
- Maybe The Thing.
Others that I intend to buy new (don't own a DVD of them) are:
- The Dark Knight
- the Marvel comic films (Captain America, Iron Man 1 and 2, Thor, Avengers -- which I still haven't seen...)
- Watchmen (hopefully in the Ultimate Cut)
- the two Sherlock Holmes films
- other assorted goodies (e.g., Doctor Who seasons,Torchwood seasons, etc.)
- The Indiana Jones trilogy and "special bonus coaster." Which will be transferred to my current Indy trilogy boxes for DVD.
So, what do you guys recommend?