Michael Bay

Like Transformers, people flocked to Jurassic Park to see dinosaurs. They did it again, and again, and again, and will do it again next year. Talking cars that turn into talking robots, what was anyone expecting? In reality they had the car crash movie guy make a movie about cars crashing and fighting. As not my cup of tea franchises go, who would anyone pick to make a Transformers movie besides Bay?

Steven Spielberg
Guillermo Del Toro
Robert Zemeckis

Alternatively...don't bother.

To be honest, like G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., and many other 1980s toy properties, it's not exactly like there was a whole lot of story to the cartoons, meaning that you basically end up just slapping the IP overtop some otherwise unrelated story to make a movie. And it's not like what's appeared on the screen for these movies has actually really had all that much to do with the original material, other than the same names for characters, some places, and a few concepts. The only reason to make films about these particular franchises is to capitalize on the nostalgia of late Gen-Xers and Millenials. Otherwise, it's basically just a familiar name on an unfamiliar story.

To be honest, like G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., and many other 1980s toy properties, it's not exactly like there was a whole lot of story to the cartoons...
True, and also, the animation was petty bad. Still, in my opinion, there was more story and character development in those old Transformer cartoons than in Bay's movies.

The only reason to make films about these particular franchises is to capitalize on the nostalgia of late Gen-Xers and Millenials. Otherwise, it's basically just a familiar name on an unfamiliar story.
I don't know. I'm not sure these movies raked in the money they did because of nostalgia. Many of the people who dislike Transformers are those who have nostalgia for the old cartoons and toys. As dismaying as it may sound, the name Michael Bay is a ticket seller. When people see a trailer with huge explosions and giant robots, they see it as a big social event, something to not be missed.

I don't think the average person really cares about movies. Most cant even recall if they have seen certain movies when asked. It's not a priority for them. Its just something to do. All just my opinion of course, but the more people I talk to, the more I get that people watch movies with the same level of interest that I would watch the World Cup. I am sort of interested, but I don't really appreciate what I am looking at.

That's why Michael Bay sells. Not everyone is a movie connoisseur. McDonalds isn't the worlds best food, but sometimes you just want it.

True, and also, the animation was petty bad. Still, in my opinion, there was more story and character development in those old Transformer cartoons than in Bay's movies.

That's like saying "Mary, you sweat less than any other fat girl I know." I believe that's called "damning with faint praise." ;)

I don't know. I'm not sure these movies raked in the money they did because of nostalgia.

Some of it's nostalgia. The rest is simple brand-name familiarity. This is also why they do remakes, reboots, etc. Hollywood wants properties that are familiar to people now. They've figured out that if you title your film "American Commandos" it won't make a dime and people will regard it as crap, whereas if you title it "G.I. Joe: the Rise of Cobra," people will give it a chance and say "Eh, that was ok I guess."

Many of the people who dislike Transformers are those who have nostalgia for the old cartoons and toys. As dismaying as it may sound, the name Michael Bay is a ticket seller. When people see a trailer with huge explosions and giant robots, they see it as a big social event, something to not be missed.

I don't think the average person really cares about movies. Most cant even recall if they have seen certain movies when asked. It's not a priority for them. Its just something to do. All just my opinion of course, but the more people I talk to, the more I get that people watch movies with the same level of interest that I would watch the World Cup. I am sort of interested, but I don't really appreciate what I am looking at.

That's why Michael Bay sells. Not everyone is a movie connoisseur. McDonalds isn't the worlds best food, but sometimes you just want it.

I agree with this, actually, and it's an interesting insight. I think folks like us really care about movies and storytelling and such, but there is a vast swath of people out there for whom going to the movies is a thing to do unto itself, rather than going specifically to see a given story.

If Michael Bay had been put in charge of Star Wars #7, he would foul it up, it would make money anyway just because it's friggin Star Wars, and the studios would take the profit as evidence that he was the right man for the job. Then they would give him another big sci-fi franchise after that, perhaps the next round of Star Trek. Etc.

Bay has spent decades being allowed to foul-up opportunities that other people would have made great use of. It makes him rich, it hurts the chances & fortunes of more talented people, and a lot of popular movies & franchises suffer for it. This is not a good thing regardless of what the box office numbers say.

What's worse than the fact that he gets away with being an ass and making bad movies is the fact that the American public have become programmed sheep willing to eat a turd sandwich of a movie and ask for another. We should all be hanging our heads in shame and then sitting our kids down to watch movies from the last 70 years before CGI came around to show them what good movies, tv, and animation is.

That does sound incredibly snobbish.

So millions of people go see those films and enjoy them, but because you don't, those people are just sheep?

If more people seeing a film makes it a bad film, Howard the duck must be the best film ever made.

Actually Howard the Duck was a good movie and sure beats Bay's newer stuff. I admit i didn't mean bay films alone, i mean in general they go and suck up anything with boobs and explosions in it even if it doesn't have a storyline and then really good films get overlooked because everyone just wants to eat popcorn and see things go boom. I can't claim to be a film snob, i haven't seen a new hollywood made movie since 2006.

What's worse than the fact that he gets away with being an ass and making bad movies is the fact that the American public have become programmed sheep willing to eat a turd sandwich of a movie and ask for another. We should all be hanging our heads in shame and then sitting our kids down to watch movies from the last 70 years before CGI came around to show them what good movies, tv, and animation is.

Steady on there. Saying that people are sheep because they dont dislike the movie like you is worthless arguments. Much like the 'can you do better?' On the other side Argument. People on here seem to get offended just because others like movies that you hate.

If you ask kids if they enjoy this stuff outside the forum they love it. Loads of adults do to. Its mainly places like here you see it. And you generally see more negative opinions about stuff in general. Cos people dont feel the need to voice opinions on good stuff as much. Its the anger that drives someone to vent online about it with effort.

Im on neither side. His movies arent my favourite. But I didnt mind the transformers movies at all. The last one wasnt my taste if im honest.

It has absolutley nothing to do with nostalgia. Infact its mainly the original fans that are the ones that complain. I will say. The original series were not full of character development. Grimlock was stupid in my opinion (sorry for any offence caused). Not even as much developmeny as the movie. It was acceptable back then.

I get it. Ip property makes money regardless. But places like paramount arent using the excuse that he made them a crap load of money on a film. Theyre using the excuse that hes done it 3 times. One movie can get away with it yeh. But when theyre all coining it in and all the families love it. I just think you have to accept your in the minority of either disliking the movie. Liking it. Or not caring. You dont like it. Fine. Doesnt make everyone wrong. I recon if everyone filled a form out when going to see these films. The majority would call it enjoyable. But thats just opinion of course.

I do hope the next tf films a little better then this one. There was a lot I didnt like.

J

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

And that thinking means The Room is a masterpiece because everyone I know has seen it.

This I do agree with. Hype can help a lot! especially new films. Iron man 3 anyone? I think we all agree cap 2 and Iron man 1 (along with others depending on opinion) were much better but didn't make as much. Well that's my thoughts on it. Any IM3 made a shed load!

But box office mega coins after 4 films doesn't come from people still going to see it despite every predeceasing film being crap. There's obviously a lot of fans of the films.

Its nice to see an actual discussion on him rather then the whole thing being used to slag him off. Off to find bad boys dvd now!

J

The Star Wars prequels weren't directed well. They kept making money anyway, movie after movie. Spider-Man #3, X-Men #3 . . . these days when certain franchises get big enough it hardly matters if the movie is creatively weak as long as it looks good and doesn't absolutely bore the audience to tears (M. Night).

Nobody accuses MB of making movies that bore audiences to tears. But they are creatively weak.

Like George Lucas's SW prequels, Michael Bay's movies are epic, action-packed, star-studded, well-produced, interesting movies, that make hundreds of millions . . . which utterly shortchange the audience.

If George Lucas was directing SW#7-9 now, he would give us another string of movies with the same weaknesses as the PT. And a couple hundred million people worldwide would still line up to watch Han/Luke/Leia for 3 more movies anyway. Because that new trilogy is just "too big to fail" in the creative sense. It could perform weaker than possible in the wrong hands, but it simply cannot bomb as long as they spend the money and assemble 3 big blockbuster SW movies.

Michael Bay can be very good hit-producer but he should not be directing them. Maybe even 2nd-unit directing, but not the 1st-unit stuff.

Look at the way Hollywood has given Tim Burton a directing career. He should have been kept as a production designer on other directors' movies. He makes great stylized movies that aren't well directed but they keep giving him more movies to direct. Why?!? Why does Hollywood think someone is a good director just because they have been given lots of opportunities to direct slam-dunk hits?!?

:facepalm

Got into a few Michael Bay discussions with some fellow members at a 4th of July celebration this weekend. I don't really have a huge problem with his directing, and I know he wasn't the writer, but story moments like the "jive talking" robots in Transformers 2 were pretty groan worthy (then again, I may not be the target audience).

This pretty much sums up my feelings on michael bay and Transformers...

pedobay.png

The Star Wars prequels weren't directed well. They kept making money anyway, movie after movie. Spider-Man #3, X-Men #3 . . . these days when certain franchises get big enough it hardly matters if the movie is creatively weak as long as it looks good and doesn't absolutely bore the audience to tears (M. Night).

Nobody accuses MB of making movies that bore audiences to tears. But they are creatively weak.

Like George Lucas's SW prequels, Michael Bay's movies are epic, action-packed, star-studded, well-produced, interesting movies, that make hundreds of millions . . . which utterly shortchange the audience.

If George Lucas was directing SW#7-9 now, he would give us another string of movies with the same weaknesses as the PT. And a couple hundred million people worldwide would still line up to watch Han/Luke/Leia for 3 more movies anyway. Because that new trilogy is just "too big to fail" in the creative sense. It could perform weaker than possible in the wrong hands, but it simply cannot bomb as long as they spend the money and assemble 3 big blockbuster SW movies.

Michael Bay can be very good hit-producer but he should not be directing them. Maybe even 2nd-unit directing, but not the 1st-unit stuff.

Look at the way Hollywood has given Tim Burton a directing career. He should have been kept as a production designer on other directors' movies. He makes great stylized movies that aren't well directed but they keep giving him more movies to direct. Why?!? Why does Hollywood think someone is a good director just because they have been given lots of opportunities to direct slam-dunk hits?!?

:facepalm

Think your missing the point. The original star wars and original xmen were good. They dont make money just based on a franchise in my opinion. Sure the first one maybe. But your examples both had good movies before them. THATS what made them money. They were pre/sequals. So people expected them to be as good. Where as people are sayin all the tf movies suck. So there was no first one to keep coming back. if you get what im saying? Its a bit early!

J

This pretty much sums up my feelings on michael bay and Transformers...

View attachment 350554

Now THATS funny!

J

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back