Man of Steel (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
This is the post-release thread for Man of Steel with spoiler discussion.

There have been few early screenings of the movie tonight and with exceptions of few countries getting the release on June 13, Man of Steel is releasing in some countries including in US on June 14, while many other countries are getting it on June 20 and onwards.

Read our Man of Steel - Exclusive Movie Review by Mark Short on RPF Pulse

196260-man-steel-banner.jpg

Sweet. A fast paced non stop thrill ride that sacrifices character for a break neck speed with a Superman more serious than Nolan's Batman. :)

hey everyone, i was at a press screening yesterday. i enjoyed it. i have a full review written, just waiting on the editor to post it then i will link it

I saw it at an advanced screening, 3D no less. I liked it. It was a thrill ride from the beginning. This isn't your daddy's Superman, that's for sure. So much so, one guy walked out in disgust with 10-15 minutes left during one scene. Are there things I would change? One or two, like:
keep the secret identity secret.
Over all, a good movie. I'm hoping this will do for DC what Iron Man did for Marvel.

I thought Dark Knight did for DC what Iron Man did for Marvel. Of course Green Lantern did for DC what Daredevil did for Marvel.

Well it did reinvigorated the DC franchise, it didn't set up for bringing in other characters. Man of Steel may be able to do that. Sadly, you are very correct about Green Lantern and Daredevil.

This is a reposting of what I plopped on my facebook feed.

Just got home from seeing Man of Steel thanks to the walmart premiere showing.

In a word, it's AMAZING. Seriously, there are nitpicks I could say but they are literally tiny nits to be picked. You have to really be an anal superman fan to get annoyed at how the story is handled.

Quick note EXTREMELY MINOR BUT NOT STORY RELATED SPOILER - One of the Kryptonian Elders is Death from Supernatural. Man it's weird to see him not in a 3 piece suit and with a bacon wrapped hot dog.

Anywho, longer review sans spoilers. Everything Returns wasn't, this is. Action packed, HAVE NO FEAR OF NOT SEEING SOME SERIOUS ASS BEATINGS GOING ON. There isn't any "stalker superman" issues, the emotional aspect of the film is handled very well (and not overdone), and I can even forgive the lack of an S on the cape.

MINOR SPOILER AHOY! - It's kind of weird to think about, but the entire Kryptonian race wears these underwear bodysuit things, so basically Superman, etc are all running around in their undies. Makes the whole "saving the world" thing take a bit of an odd mental tone.

There are even some moments in the movie that really echo how Reeve handled the Superman role, while the movie is a literal retelling and not an homage to the original.

Also, gonna spoil something now. Apparently Kryptonians write on every god damned surface they can. Sweet ***** there are glyphs EVERYWHERE.

Go see it, then go buy another ticket to see it again. It's a long movie, but at no point does it "feel" long. A great comparison is The Dark Knight. Great movie but it FELT like it was a long movie. This one, not so much.

The story is pretty original, the fx scenes are just flat out amazing, and the fights are spectacular. Cavill owns the role and he knows it.

Chris

I just realized that Henry Cavill really looks like Tom Welling's big brother.

If they had gotten Welling to play the younger Clark in Smallville, I really would not have been surprised.

Chris

Just saw it and loved it for the most part. Like some people have said before, I wish there had been a LITTLE more depth to the story (loved all the flashbacks that made up the "origin story" and think there could have been more)... but honestly, I think it was fine with what we had. There are couple great moments where you get that "feeling". You could have squeezed in a few more by sacrificing some of the action, but doing so would have made some characters (like Faora) pointless and not needed. I think they struck a pretty good balance overall. It is VERY action oriented... especially compared to Returns.

Like Hydin said above, there are things that COULD be nitpicked (and I'm sure there will be plenty of people to do so), but I think it was a great relaunch of a classic character with a modern twist!

Cavill pulls off a good Supes. The film started a a little too slow for my taste, but the action more than made up for it as it moved on. I felt Zod was a HUGE let down. I was hoping he was really going to be a bad ass force to be reckoned with. I don't live and die Superman, so I am not a purist, but the film was not the reboot I was hoping for. I'll watch it when it pops up on cable, but don't feel any need to own it. I can see why so many critiques are love or hate it. I'm somewhere in the middle.

I really loved it. It's the first time I can say this actually "felt" like how superman is. Even got feelings of how he was when watching the justice league series when I was younger. The fight scenes were well done and I'm really glad it wasn't tame. They actually really F' up the city. The transition of fighting on Earth and space was awesome. It to me is how a fight with superman should be. Definitely the best version since Reeve's superman

Man of Steel- Where to begin?
Firstly, its an EPIC retelling of the Kal El /Krypton story. Notice what I didn’t say there,he's mentioned by THAT name but once.
I saw the very first Reeve Superman in my late teens and this version definitely wasn’t anything like it. Not even close. And for that I’m very grateful.That was of its day, and fun for its time. Instead this is a great adaptation of the very familiar story boosted by jaw dropping special effects work, with a more than decent script where every character works and every actor fits their role superbly. It is a terrific, if rather breathlessly paced action packed retelling of THE Super hero.
I watched “Superman Returns” the other night for the first time since the cinema release and it managed to still send me to sleep and that tried to be really meticulously faithful to the originals, even down to the actor looking so like Reeve/Kent. You’ll never want to shut your eyes watching MOS , believe me. Blink and you will miss something spectacular.
Was it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it really a darker retelling of the Superman story redone Batman/ Nolan style?
No it is not. It truly is its own man, definitely resold as a straight story this time ,sometimes shot in a documentary/ reality style ,then like Watchmen, and it feels a little uneven because of that .But there still are some humorous moments (truck anyone?), a constant ,unbelievable barrage of effects and a level of carnage you wouldn’t believe…………… certainly of the old school versions anyway. Metropolis and other town areas get absolutely flattened when the Kryptonian fight gets going and the human cost is, well, pretty shockingly high. But when you're throwing trains around or Wart hogging high streets what do you expect to happen ? But it feels slightly at odds in a Superman film.
There is still a fair amount of story woven between all the action, if often told in retrospect. I thought the main character “conflicted” storyline was handled very well and was surprisingly moving, with both Father figures interacting and influencing Kal El continuously through the story. I found Jonathon’s moments particularly moving and truthful. And Jor El must be Russell’s best part in years and that back story, particularly of Krypton was superbly expanded on. Somebody said it was a slow beginning? Measured against what? Looked like a ****ing warzone on Krypton to me in the first opening minutes.
Just a word of warning about the “feel” of the movie though. It may have been just because old Morpheus was in it but at times I thought that this could have been easily been called “ Superman Reloaded/Revolution” .I thought at one moment Zod was going to say ”Welcome back Kal- El, we missed you.” This is due in part to the design of the fight sequences and Kryptonian machine technology being VERY Matrix like at times ,particularly the Kryptonian child pods/ World engines. And I also would not have been terribly surprised if the Master Chief himself had not jumped out of one of Zods ships and asked Superman if he needed a hand, it had that kind of Halo vibe with the craft/armor/weaponary as well.
That said ,its still a brilliantly entertaining version of the Superman story ,worth the price of a ticket for the spectacle alone. I never thought they would ever be able to do a film version of “Kingdom Come” but having watched this one,I think they could do it in a few years time. God only knows how on earth they will ever top this one though , even in a Justice League free for all.

PS Got to add that Antje Travae as Faora and Aylet Zurer as Lara both made outstandingly stunning Kryptonian women ,if at somewhat opposite ends of the moral spectrum.
And I wasn't really to clear why the Codex that Jor El originally takes looks like part of an ancient fossilized human ancestor skull? Obviously with what he actually does with it and who actually "has it" in the end, doesn't that still mean all of Krypton can be ressurrected eventually?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back