Mad Max: Fury Road

I was watching My Classic Car with Dennis Gage. It's a show with restored old cars or fancy hot rods. But this week had a guy who has a Bluesmobile, and an Interceptor. He bought the one from Back To the Max and super detailed it. [and a goose bike and a Nightrider car.]
Pretty cool.

It shows how old Mad Max is when the cars are now 'classics'.

And here it is. Home | My Classic Car with Dennis Gage Season 16 episode 16. Should be online soon, or buy it for 99cents.

Season 16 (2011) Episode 16 | My Classic Car with Dennis Gage

Looks a little over the top to me.

The second film's vehicles weren't exactly models of subtlety, but they truly looked scavenged and thrown together, rather than intentionally outlandish. The third film hewed more to the outlandish stuff, like the cow car. This looks to be upping the ante from there.

Now, maybe there's a justification for this. For example, depending on when after the apocalypse this is supposed to take place, wasteland society may have moved beyond merely scavenging what is functional without regard for appearance, and may now be attempting to "customize" in a way that signifies...something. As someone described above, someone like a Lord Humungous might have his underlings make the "Gigahorse." Such an ostentatious (for the wasteland) display would signify his power.

Even if an entire group is outfitted like this, it could simply be a display of power and control of resources, since you'd need significant resources (including "human resources") to put those vehicles together.

Sad to say based on what ive heard, were looking at a close repeat of Thunderdome complete with 80's style excess. By excess I mean exactly that, bigger and over expansive on scale. Read back some years when George Miller was quoted along the lines of he knew he could do the MM movie he wanted after he had seen the new Star Wars movie. That means large amounts of CGI. What is great about all the MM movies is they did it, what you see was real. Watch the opening shot of Thunderdome again, its great! Now it would be, actually will be, CGI. I think Willie knows more than me though.

Thunderdome as a stand alone movie is actually pretty fun but as a MM movie its right up there with Escape From LA as it just tears apart the core of the hero character. If what im hearing about the new Max character is true, his past doesnt much matter yet again. Instead its focused again on side missions just as what plagued Thunderdome.

At worst this could be the 4th best MM movie.

Mad Max was a great little independent film. Road Warrior was a surprising twist. Instead of having Max back on the Police force chasing bikers, there's been an atomic war! WILD! [versus Death Wish 2 3 4 5... which repeated the first one.]
Thunderdome was the Hollywood Sequel. A singing star as a lead, with song tie-ins, an overblown premise, and nothing new to say.

So where will Fury Road fit in?

Once the first shots of the new BoB hit the streets, heart rates will start to go up a little. From Willies pics, it looks like the storyline of Max saving the last three fertile girls in the Wastelands I posted way back is the deal, seeing Theron with a shaved head recently and read that she also has half a robotic arm in the movie she is either a co protector or the villian.

After Thunderdome I thought Miller had lost his way without Byron Kennedy but am more than willing to give him another chance with this one.

The ONLY WAY this film will even spark a hope for itself in my mind is if it uses absolutely positively 0% CGI. IMO that's what helped big time to make both Mad Max and The Road Warrior the great films they are, the crazy stunts that were done.

Other than that we just gotta hope its not another edition of Thunder Dome. And definitely no damn Goonies this time either...

Mad Max prototypes by Ford. Not movie cars.

Ford-Concept-Int-31.jpg

And one with a Tazer in the grill.
d839a_Automakers2C_C-626x469.jpg

Uhhg. God those look like hell. :confused
I'm sorry but Ford has their head up their arse with those. If they were smart, they would release a new Falcon muscle car like they did the mustang. Maybe something like this guys concept of a new Ford Falcon Cobra? I know I'de buy it. :love
FPV_Cobra_Concept_2007_by_Jakusa.jpg

Robotic arm? Really??? Oh for ****'s sake, do they not realize that technology is supposed to be backsliding, not developing cybernetics????

Thats just how it was described, it may be just a plain old hook arm, at least theres one positive, Millars taking one of the worlds hottest women and messin her up tough style with a possible hook arm and shaved head, could by sexy and a complete 180 in terms of Tina Turner.

The thing that I want to know most is how Hardy is introduced as Max. Is it a name given to the protectors by the elders of the Great Northern Tribe? Is it the Max Rockatansky that left his life behind in Sun City all those years back? Is it the Max between MM1 and MM2?

I love these cars...even the Splintermobile! I think they need to be over the top and a bit unrealistic from a design perspective. I like that they look like they were created by someone who had no sense of style. Just raw dangerous goofiness. Almost a generation out from Mad Max 1.

I also don't see anything here that's more outlandish than the current Batman Tumbler. That one makes zero sense (still cool though) and is going strong on to a 3rd film.

I love these cars...even the Splintermobile! I think they need to be over the top and a bit unrealistic from a design perspective. I like that they look like they were created by someone who had no sense of style. Just raw dangerous goofiness. Almost a generation out from Mad Max 1.

I also don't see anything here that's more outlandish than the current Batman Tumbler. That one makes zero sense (still cool though) and is going strong on to a 3rd film.

Agreed.
Although not really important, the landscape in the pics look nothing like the Aussie outback, even the sky is all wrong. I guess i will always ask if Miller tried hard enough to find a suitable location in Australia, Broken Hill doesnt have unique features, half of South Australia looks like Broken Hill, anyway, onwards and upwards.

At first glance, I thought maybe they'd repurposed the cow car from Thunderdome to make the spikemobile...

i045619.jpg

The rim looks the same, anyway (from another shot). The cars on the trailer give me hope that it won't all be super over-the-top. Interest level rising...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back