Looper (Post-release)

I was playing with my Apple TV today and watched today's teaser. Being a big fan of Brick, I'm looking forward to Looper with great anticipation. But I find the whole "young Bruce" makeup thing very distracting.

Last edited:
Looper - Movie Trailers - iTunes
Looper Teaser Trailer is up.

Rian Johnson's Looper Teaser HD - YouTube

poster-xlarge.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still stuck on the guy looking nothing at all like a younger Bruce.
moonlighting-1.jpg
Rian Johnson Looper WonderCon on Vimeo
The director talked about that exact same thing in the above video. Skip to four minutes and watch for one minute.

Here is another interview addressing the same issue.

"Since the role was written for Joe, how did you decide that Bruce Willis would be the right actor to play the older version of the character?

JOHNSON: I had already written it for Joe, and then we cast Bruce in it, and then we dealt with, “Okay, how do we figure this out?” As our ingenious make-up designer pointed out, they actually look very dissimilar. They don’t look alike, at all. So, our approach was to pick a couple key features and alter those. When Joe showed up on set and started shooting, I was still very, very nervous ‘cause we had committed to this extreme make-up and it’s not like we had totally transformed him, so that he looked like Bruce in Moonlighting, or something. It was a hybrid. But, when Joe kicked in the performance, I knew that was going to take it a long way. It was amazing how much of a transformation there was, once Joe started doing the voice. The other thrilling thing about it, for me, was that it wasn’t imitation. He created a character, but it was a character that could be a young Bruce Willis. It was an amazing high-wire act that Joe was pulling off, every day. For me, it was just really fun to watch. "

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1683066/looper-trailer-watch-director-commentary.jhtml
"I really can't wait for people to actually see Joe's performance in the movie with the makeup, because if you see a picture of him ... obviously it's not like he looks exactly like Bruce Willis, but once his performance plays out in the context of the film, it really works."

Last edited:
True American heroes. So brave.

So brave.

;)

Look, if I can buy into the time travel premise, dissimilar actors won't be a dealbreaker for me.

Look, if I can buy into the time travel premise, dissimilar actors won't be a dealbreaker for me.

It's always interesting what things will do that. When I watched "2012" I was just enjoying it, as unbelievable as it was, but it was when China moved a thousand miles or so that I thought, "Oh, come on!"

I've read that the latest trailer for this movie may reveal a few plot points that are best discovered by actually seeing the movie.

Anyone who has viewed the trailer agree or disagree? I'm afraid I'll spoil the movie by watching it.

I already know I am going to watch this movie, so I decided the first trailer was good enough for me. So I won't be watching any more trailers for Looper. Some others who saw the trailer also suggested others not to watch it.

Director Rian Johnson also mentioned that there are things in the new trailer which would be better off while watching the movie.

"If you're already set on seeing Looper, I'd avoid any trailers from here on out. They don't ruin the movie, but they tip a few little things that are fun to discover in the context of the movie."

"Just to clarify - I approved all the trailers, they're great an they won't ruin anything big. But the small things they tip are fun to discover in the movie."

Reactions to the 5 minutes Looper footage shown at Comic Con.

Drew McWeeny at HitFix
https://twitter.com/DrewAtHitFix/status/223937424869425152
"Pretty great preview reel for "Looper," and they're hiding some of the film's big secrets in plain view."

Empire Magazine
https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/223937463687716864
"Looper footage is even more enticing than the trailers show. Lots of action, but also great Willis/JGL stuff..."

Eric Vespe at AICN
https://twitter.com/EricVespe/status/223937510475169792
"The 5 minutes they showed of Looper was the best stuff shown at the Con so far. Smart, sharp original sci-fi"

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back