Japanese film "Space Brothers" (NASA fans step in now)

CessnaDriver

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Based on manga to anime to live action now.

I wish Americans would make films about space like this...

Watch the trailer labeled "New"....
Space Brothers Film

No subtitles, but you don't even need them to know what
this movie is about.

Oh man, that looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing that Cessna :thumbsup.

One way I am so happy they are making a space movie like that, on the other hand I am crushed as past one year I been thinking of writing my own script with identical themes of space travel, growing up and friendship. That will teach me to keep procrastinating things :behave. Not that my movie would ever get made by a studio, but it was thought out more like a personal project. Of course there aren't many space movies in general, so I will try to remain motivated knowing that there could always be room for another entry in this area of fiction. Didn't know about that manga and anime until now either.

The animated series is interesting, I've been watching episodes of it online. I'd love to see the movie. I had no idea they'd even filmed it, which is odd because any filming at Kennedy Space center for any film usually makes the news int he space fan community right away. They snuck this one in under the radar.

Has anyone seen this movie or knows anything about it? It's almost a phantom film, there's next to nothing about it anywhere, not even online!
Eventually it'll be on DVD but I wonder if anyone in the US will ever get to see it.

Yeah, I doubt it'll ever get a Region 1 DVD release. I still haven't been able to see it either, but being a fan of the anime, I'm dying to see it. Maybe if we're lucky, it'll end up available to watch on Crunchyroll.com or something.

The logo looked to me like the company that makes Godzilla, so maybe it will make it to region one.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Now, THAT looks like a good movie. Dunno what anyone said, but man! Whoever put that trailer together communicated everything needed, without needing words. That was really cool! I wonder if I'll be able to track a copy of this one down...

Thank's for the link's does look like a good flick.Some of my Japanese movies I knew were never going to be here in the US so I found a few of them in the UK.At least if released in the UK you get english sub-titles.They are high priced but Yesasia might have this,also Amazon is getting better about having Japanese movies.I bought a really nice region free DVD player for $60 so that might be an option as well.

The DVD of the live action movie is coming out in Japan in December according to this website. Hopefully it'll be able to be found in the US. I really want to see this, even if I can't understand it.
What'd be really cool is if someone would make copies of the mission patches from the film. I'm surprised as to how little merchandizing there is for either the Anime of Live action movie...
Space-Brothers-2012-Movie-Image.jpg

But as far as the anime goes, you can't help but laugh from this screen capture:
SpaceBrothersOdd.png

One thing's for sure, this has to be the strangest 'mission' patch for a TV series and movie ever!
SpaceBrothersApopatch.jpg

The dog is named Apo, apparently one of the brothers runs across him in Houston and he becomes a part of the storyline...

Last edited:
I just got a copy of the DVD of the live action movie two days ago (scored it off eBay cheaply) and watched it. My Japanese is VERY rusty but I was surprised how poorly delivered the lines by clearly American actors were. Buzz Aldrin does a cameo, of himself... in 2025? Yeah, that seemed quite odd as he'll be almost pushing 100 by then, but not nearly as odd as how he delivered his lines. I know he's not an actor, but his appearance in the Transformers movie was 'King Lear' compared to this, and it was more the writing. I can't believe he didn't see the lines and said to someone, "You realize no English speaker talks like this".
Great FX shots of the launches, you really believe it when you see them. The plot is not that big a deal and there are some gravity issues on the Moon scenes (and how nobody can seem to simulate a pressurzed space suit in movies), but all the hardware is quite believable and they clearly had full NASA cooperation.
I hope there'll be a dubbed version on DVD eventually, as I know an English version does exist already.

I just got a copy of the DVD of the live action movie two days ago (scored it off eBay cheaply) and watched it. My Japanese is VERY rusty but I was surprised how poorly delivered the lines by clearly American actors were. Buzz Aldrin does a cameo, of himself... in 2025? Yeah, that seemed quite odd as he'll be almost pushing 100 by then, but not nearly as odd as how he delivered his lines. I know he's not an actor, but his appearance in the Transformers movie was 'King Lear' compared to this, and it was more the writing. I can't believe he didn't see the lines and said to someone, "You realize no English speaker talks like this".
Great FX shots of the launches, you really believe it when you see them. The plot is not that big a deal and there are some gravity issues on the Moon scenes (and how nobody can seem to simulate a pressurzed space suit in movies), but all the hardware is quite believable and they clearly had full NASA cooperation.
I hope there'll be a dubbed version on DVD eventually, as I know an English version does exist already.

His lines at the end of Mass Effect 3 were horrible too and it's like it wasn't originally written in english either.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back