Jack Reacher

I have a tough time buying Cruise in the role. Not the physical part, the dark anti-hero nothing to lose stuff.

But I'm a massive Christopher McQuarrie fan, so I'll see this anyway because I know it will be a good film.

Also, if that John McClaine Jr. playing one of the bad guys?

I'm currently reading all of the Jack Reacher books and loving them.

Jack Reacher is 6'5" tall, has a 50" chest, dirty blond hair and ice blue eyes.

Tom Cruise has none of the above. I think he will ruin this character.

I've never read the books and knew nothing about them before today. I might have to give them a chance though.

Can't say I'm terribly surprised about him not looking like the character from the books though. That description doesn't fit many big name actors.

Unless Cruise is challenged, like say Collateral, he plays pretty much the same guy. This could be the same character from MI, War of The Worlds, or Knight and Day.

There are about 16 or 17 books, some of them are Kindle exclusives. I fully recommend them, so far.

As far as big name actors go, I can't think of any that would fit the bill but I'm sure they could have gone with an unknown and taken a chance. If you read the books, his size and physicality are quite important although Lee Child, the author, has since backtracked after the casting of Cruise by saying that Reacher's size in the books is simply a metaphor for an unstoppable force. If you start reading the books you'll know right away, this was no metaphor.

No comments on this movie at all, aside from TC jokes? Just watched this on Netflix and really liked it! Perhaps I shouldn't say I really liked the movie itself as it was a weird mix of a buddy movie/whodunit/action movie that honestly, wasn't all that impressively executed. However, I loved Jack's character arc or actually his lack of one. I loved that he came into the movie one way and ended the movie the exact same way. Having an arc works well for some movies, but gets old and predictable after awhile. I hate the whole "Show hero is a badass. Show hero get knocked down a peg. Show hero recover, learn something about themselves and come back even stronger." concept. It has been done a bazillion times. The fact that this movie doesn't do that is AWESOME!

I saw this movie, but really don't remember much at all about it. I do remember I didn't hate it, so it was probably good for some mindless entertainment, which is sometimes all I want in a movie.

This film was far better that it's been given credit for. Decent plot and while Cruise doesn't resemble the character, I haven't read the books so it doesn't bother me (although I understand if you're a fan of the print and didn't like TC in the role). And Duval always is good. It's not worth multiple viewings, but it was entertaining once.

I watched it. It was...a movie. Nothing special, really. About on par with most Tom Cruise actioners these days. The character he was playing was kinda boring, really, I guess because he seemed so unstoppable and perfect at what he does. Or at least that's what I vaguely remember about it.

I dunno. Tom Cruise is kind of generic, really, in these kinds of roles. The role ceases to be a character and becomes Tom Cruise in this or that different situation.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back