Interstellar (Post-release)

Re: Interstellar

I am most decidedly not a Christopher Nolan fan. He's done interesting stuff at times and I know he has a strong following - but, I don't just don't get it.

This looks very promising... I really had zero interest in seeing it until I watched a trailer this morning. If the Speilberg/Kubrick thing holds true... well, this could be a very funny and interesting ride. I am concerned about the runtime - let's hope it's a quick 3 hours.

I am most decidedly not a Christopher Nolan fan. He's done interesting stuff at times and I know he has a strong following - but, I don't just don't get it.

This looks very promising... I really had zero interest in seeing it until I watched a trailer this morning. If the Speilberg/Kubrick thing holds true... well, this could be a very funny and interesting ride. I am concerned about the runtime - let's hope it's a quick 3 hours.

I think the themes being so large and remarkably literally universal in so many ways, should deliver.
Usually I'm cautious, but I'm throwing caution to the wind and expect paydirt, and the space activist in me is hoping for some sparks to ignite some flames.

I think the themes being so large and remarkably literally universal in so many ways, should deliver.
Usually I'm cautious, but I'm throwing caution to the wind and expect paydirt, and the space activist in me is hoping for some sparks to ignite some flames.

True, true, true!!! I usually can't stand the tone and implications of Nolan's movies, but even in my skepticism I think he might have a winner here.

To be honest, with a story like this, Michael Bay could be making it and I would still find myself watching. I can't resist human stories involving space travel. This movie is giving me a Contact vibe and I'm all a flutter because of it.

No more trailers for me! The vague teaser was enough. Shut up and take my money!

That should've been a fun ride... not a funny ride.

:facepalm

I actually have a 70mm Imax just 24 miles from me, at the A&S Udvar-Hazy Center. Cool!

There's one even closer to me, only a 10 minute drive on the freeway. I'm heavily considering it, but I'm also broke and that 20.00 price tag seems almost unfathomable

I'm freaking pissed that the new one-sheet is basically just a giant spoiler-ish image. Seriously, that picture pretty much told me the conclusion of the movie.

Screw Hollywood.

I'm freaking pissed that the new one-sheet is basically just a giant spoiler-ish image. Seriously, that picture pretty much told me the conclusion of the movie.

Screw Hollywood.

Which poster are you talking about? I don't see how any of them ruined the story.

-The Truth is Out There-

Which poster are you talking about? I don't see how any of them ruined the story.

-The Truth is Out There-

Both of the newest posters feature the space crew walking and landing on alien worlds. That didn't necessarily "ruin the story", but for me, I was going off the initial teaser trailer, which portrayed nothing except a shot of a black hole and a big journey into the unknown. The reason I was so stoked on this movie was because it was such a big "if" for me...it was extremely exciting not knowing what happened on the other side of that black hole. Maybe the movie just ended there?

Do you understand where I'm coming from? It's just less interesting now, since I know that by the end of the movie they end up on a planet and walk around.

Both of the newest posters feature the space crew walking and landing on alien worlds. That didn't necessarily "ruin the story", but for me, I was going off the initial teaser trailer, which portrayed nothing except a shot of a black hole and a big journey into the unknown. The reason I was so stoked on this movie was because it was such a big "if" for me...it was extremely exciting not knowing what happened on the other side of that black hole. Maybe the movie just ended there?

Do you understand where I'm coming from? It's just less interesting now, since I know that by the end of the movie they end up on a planet and walk around.

I guess I understand, but did you honestly think a movie about interstellar travel and looking for a new planet that can sustain life would not have another planet in it?

Now, I suppose that they could not find a suitable planet and therefore come to the realization that humanity will die on Earth, but that would be just.. depressing.

I'm figuring that THAT will be a huge plot point because the trailer says that every hour for them is 7 years on Earth, based on the real-world theory of Time Dilation for space time. Which would explain the line from Cooper saying something like "our mission is useless if everyone on Earth is dead by the time we pull it off."

-The Truth is Out There-

I guess I understand, but did you honestly think a movie about interstellar travel and looking for a new planet that can sustain life would not have another planet in it?

Not at all, in fact I would expect it, but that's the not the point. I wanted to find out whatever conclusion happens on my own, without any outside predispositions. Having an inkling of doubt would make the movie exciting! You know, that whole audience involvement thing. For once, I wanted to go into a movie theatre genuinely wondering what was going to happen...and caring.

I know I'm being difficult...I'm asking for too much. I just got excited by the pioneer spirit.

I understand. I'm sure that's what I would be like if I had a stronger willpower to stop watching trailer haha.

-The Truth is Out There-

I cannot wait for this movie.
@phase pistol.. that 5th screengrab.. wow. black hole perhaps?

I thought it was supposed to be either a dying star or a forming star. It's believed that there are giant black holes at the center of galaxies, so they may have warped to the center of the Milky Way (or better yet, to another galaxy like Andromeda). I'm going to assume that the ships navigation system will be able to read the constellations or whatever and tell them where they are.

The trailer seems to be pointing in the direction of 'Hey we made this ship that we THINK will survive a trip through a black hole, so give it a shot because it's all we have left.' If they go this route, I doubt the ship would be able to tell them how far they've gone or whatever.

Also the back story with the man trying to get back to his kids seems awfully similar to Inception.

Like I posted above, it's a realistic application of Time Dilation. He's in a hurry because every hour for him is 7 years on Earth. He's trying to find a solution and save them all before 50 years pass on Earth and everyone starves.

-The Truth is Out There-

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, anyone else notice that there are two different robot things? One says CASE and the other says TARS.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412655424.365676.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412655432.949559.jpg

-The Truth is Out There-

I am insanely pumped for this movie. My friend and I read the 1st draft of the script back when it leaked like a year and a half ago. We're both huge Nolan fans and we've been following every piece of news for Interstellar. We're super lucky and have a 70mm IMAX film projector theater 20 minutes away (for anyone in Southern California who didn't want to go up to LA- it's the Irvine Spectrum). Got our tickets preordered and everything, for the 6th at 8pm. I plan on getting there super early to camp out, hopefully be first in line. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back