I want YOUR honest STARWARS opinion

The Terminator

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
*INSERT RANDOM UNCLE SAM IMAGE HERE* :p

Hey guys, I have been working on this... on and off for what feels like forever plus an eternity.

3D model credits:
Tie Interceptor - James R. Bassett

Tie FIghter - Andy Crook

ISD - Fractalsponge

iPhone - VideoCopilot

A huge thank you to these amazingly talented guys.

I have tried uploading it to youtube a bunch of times, but the sound always got flagged and removed so I'm trying Dropbox and next month I will upload it in HD onto Vimeo as soon as I upgrade my account.

Also I made two versions. First one is your regular Star Wars intro, whereas the second version is the same thing except that I made my Star Wars logo 3D along with "A long time ago" and the crawl. Just to see what it would look like basically. I re-made the Star Wars logo myself in illustrator(and discovered each SW logo is unique) and used all the same fonts. That is, the ones used in the Episode 1 intro crawl. I mostly used the Phantom Menace crawl as a reference so it matches speed, tilt and everything. I did this Frame, by frame....
file.gif
veeery difficult stuff to do when you have to guess what sort of camera, lens etc they used.

The video is a little over 5 minutes, in 1080p. All rights reserved to Disney, FOX, LucasFilm, ILM etc, made purely for entertainment and educational(for myself at least) purposes only. I am very well aware that the 20th Century Fox title won't be included in the actual film but whatever, call it artistic license.

EPVII-1.jpg EPVII-2.jpg EPVII-3.jpg EPVII-4.jpg EPVII-5.jpg EPVII-6.jpg

Version A
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjsw4z0pufqr2fl/EP7 grain.mp4

Version B
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4rhneibk838zoiy/EP7 3D grain.mp4

I would have only two nitpicks. I understand having to get the text blocked right and left, but the spacing between some of the words is just too much. I'm sure Lucas had this same problem and probably had to reword some text to make it fit right.

The Star Destroyer coming out of hyperspace is travelling at too much of an arc. Gives it more the look of a surfboard popping out of the water and diminishes the illusion of massive size.

Other than that, looks great!

Yep, I agree with most of the above. The wording needs to be changed to get better spacing. You can replace Padawans with Young Jedi and fill in those spaces better. The Star Destroyer should always come in on the heading it was planning on taking. The curve and turn do not show any mass and a Star Destroyer has ALOT of mass. The only other thing I would say is drop the Bad Robot and 20th logos. They are fun be cut into the meat of what you are trying to show. The TIEs in the Disney logo are cool and understated. The Star Destroyer shooting at the robot is over the top. The 20th logo just does not belong and makes the the intro too long.

Rat's, one more thing. The Star Destroyers engines are too "flamey" and should be more of a constant glow/burn effect. Overall very fun and with some tweeking can be made much better!! Good work and keep it up.

I really didn't want to change anything really, but now after all these nice suggestions I feel a need to "fix" it. Thanks guys :)

The grammar in the title crawl is terrible.

I know! :D but thanks for noticing. I wanted to do a crappy prequel-esque title :p the whole crawl text is crap really. I'm SO not a writer, that much I know. However I thought at least something would look better than basic Lorem Ipsum text.

Yep, I agree with most of the above. The wording needs to be changed to get better spacing. You can replace Padawans with Young Jedi and fill in those spaces better. The Star Destroyer should always come in on the heading it was planning on taking. The curve and turn do not show any mass and a Star Destroyer has ALOT of mass. The only other thing I would say is drop the Bad Robot and 20th logos. They are fun be cut into the meat of what you are trying to show. The TIEs in the Disney logo are cool and understated. The Star Destroyer shooting at the robot is over the top. The 20th logo just does not belong and makes the the intro too long.

Rat's, one more thing. The Star Destroyers engines are too "flamey" and should be more of a constant glow/burn effect. Overall very fun and with some tweeking can be made much better!! Good work and keep it up.

I wanted to add something small to the Disney intro and with the BR sequence I really wanted to go over the top. I even did a test with explosions and debris. But it was more than enough of a hassle to mask out all the places where lasers and star destroyer would be behind straws of grass.

I am aware of how the engines "should" look like and I tried it but decided I wanted to try something different. Mostly because just the regular glow is "too easy".

I would have only two nitpicks. I understand having to get the text blocked right and left, but the spacing between some of the words is just too much. I'm sure Lucas had this same problem and probably had to reword some text to make it fit right.

The Star Destroyer coming out of hyperspace is travelling at too much of an arc. Gives it more the look of a surfboard popping out of the water and diminishes the illusion of massive size.

Other than that, looks great!

The spacing was, IS a freaking pain in the behind! In the end I just said frak it, it is not about my poor writing ability. :)
I had wanted the star destroyer to come straight toward the camera with the galaxy right behind it. But since the 3D plugin I'm using for after effect does not (yet)feature shadows it didn't look right. Instead I went with what I did, which is a poor composed scene really.

Both are done very well, but I prefer version A. A few suggestions though: as others have said, the SD coming out of hyperspace is a little weird looking. The lens flares should go too; I mean, we all know JJ likes the flares far too much, but he has admitted that even he thinks he went overboard with them in STID, so I don't think he'll be using many, if any, in the movie. And aside from a few grammatical errors in the crawl, I see nothing wrong with it personally

As far as the logos go, I think the music on the Disney one should have a longer fade out, so it doesn't seem to cut off so abruptly. I like the bad robot one except for the use of children's voices saying the company name, I don't think they use that any more. The 20th Century Fox one is extraneous, which you acknowledged in the first post so it's not really a valid nitpick on my part, lol.

But aside from those things, it looks great. And the maker knows I'm no critic, so take my criticisms with a grain of salt, but these are my honest opinions.

The lens flares are a joke on J J Abrams, right? Otherwise, I think they should go.

I think the opening should contain a (maybe Star Wars-ified) The Walt Disney Company sequence and then Lucasfilm's. Nothing else. 20th Century Fox is not involved in Star Wars any more. Lucasfilm is the production company for the Star Wars films - Walt Disney Productions is another production company.

The TIE Fighter in the Disney sequence is weird. The tune is also on the ROTS soundtrack CD.

The cell phone must go. It is disrespectful to all filmmakers that make movies for the big screen.

The lens flares are a joke on J J Abrams, right? Otherwise, I think they should go.

I think the opening should contain a (maybe Star Wars-ified) The Walt Disney Company sequence and then Lucasfilm's. Nothing else. 20th Century Fox is not involved in Star Wars any more. Lucasfilm is the production company for the Star Wars films - Walt Disney Productions is another production company.

The TIE Fighter in the Disney sequence is weird. The tune is also on the ROTS soundtrack CD.

The cell phone must go. It is disrespectful to all filmmakers that make movies for the big screen.

Not really a joke :p I simply tried to make it more in his style ;) THESE however are definitely a joke:
http://www.therpf.com/f47/star-wars-episode-vii-164999/index210.html#post3111321
:lol:lol:lol:lol

Nothing else? What about Bad Robot?

I borrowed the tune from my 2 disc Phantom Menace OST ultimate edition, the funeral scene, it's mentioned in the end credits :p
The cellphone is just my shout-out to VideoCopilot, they have worked with JJ and BR ;)

Må kraften vara med dig.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back