Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member wuher da brewer's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth
    Mar 27, 2013, 11:26 AM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #26

I had never watched this show before last fall. Since then, I've breezed through the first 7 seasons on Netflix. Has it been mentioned that season 9 is indeed the last season?
  2. RPF Premium Member jcoffman99's Avatar
    From
    Western Maryland
    Mar 27, 2013, 11:28 AM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #27

Yep. It's the last.
    Mar 27, 2013, 11:29 AM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #28

Season 9 is it. There was a question as to whether Season 8 was gonna be it, but Season 9 is confirmed as the last season. It's also supposed to be a very different feeling season, although nobody's 100% sure why. There's some speculation that parts of the story will be told from the Mother's perspective once the character is formally introduced (which people expect will happen at the end of this season), but that she and Ted won't be a perfect happy couple right from day 1.
    From
    The TARDIS (a.k.a. Waukesha WI)
    Mar 28, 2013, 1:51 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #29

Very interesting! Forgive me, but.... it's about time! They've played this tease FAR too long. I lost interest after Season 5 (but watched occasionally since).

Of course, I really only watch the show for Niel Patrick Harris...
    From
    India
    Apr 1, 2013, 2:30 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #30

Solo4114 said: View Post
    I figure if they can still nail the heart with speeches like Ted's last night, they won't have a problem casting her. I mean, think about when we first met Victoria. She seemed terrific (although in hindsight, not so much), and certainly Ashley Williams and Josh Radnor had great on-screen chemistry together. I think they can do that with whomever they end up casting.

Honestly, I find it kinda funny the amount of apprehension people seem to have about casting the Mother. It's almost as if they've fallen into the same trap Ted has: being unable to imagine anyone other than the women who've come before (especially Robin), and being unable to see beyond that. (I'm not saying you're doing this, Vivek, but I see it a lot.)
    For the longest time (especially during the early seasons) despite all contrary and Future Ted saying otherwise, I secretly did wish Robin was the Mother. I was thinking maybe they will come up with a clever way to trick the audience. Perhaps Future Ted never referred Robin to his kids as Aunt Robin and it was only for the audience or the other way around with another name; just like sometimes how he hid certain facts from his children and narrated stories with changed details. But once they started building the Barney and Robin relationship, I finally started to accept that it had to be someone else.

I think whoever they cast will be able to pull it off. Every time the show has brought someone on that they really WANTED us to like, we have (by and large) liked them. People might cite Stella as an example of someone they didn't like, but in hindsight, I don't think we were meant to, really.
    Yep, totally. The big difference there being, we as an audience first accepted them as unique individuals and characters first and later depending on how things panned out embraced those characters as potential girlfriends for Ted. But they were never put on this pedestal and having the title Mother and all the expectation that comes with it right from their introduction. In this case, when they reveal the actress to be the Mother character, it's going to be a scrutiny fest by the fans right from the start, for the actress and for the character. Of course no doubt most fans will eventually start to like her.

Something else I hoped for was, just like in the storylines of the Mother character being in the past situations where Ted missed meeting her, what if they had inserted the actual actress playing the Mother somewhere in a episode as a cameo role in the background? i.e. along with showing her face. That would be some massive forethought, but yeah very unlikely.

By the way -- for those interested in all things HIMYM, check out have-you-met-ted.com (if you haven't, already). I post over there frequently, and actually write the episode recaps and some of the other blog posts.
    Nice. I noticed your username in one of the comments for the The Time Travelers episode discussion, but no name given for the person who wrote the episode recap, did you write that recent one as well? Either ways, great write up.

List of Ted's romances - How I Met Your Mother Wiki
    I've now been reading the HIMYM wiki page and checking on the list of Ted's past girlfriends including the page about the Mother to refresh my memory and to catch up on any other clues I missed out on.
    Apr 1, 2013, 3:05 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #31

I've been writing the recaps on the HYMT site since....hmm....Episode 11 of this season? JD started the site, and then Jordan took it over around Season 6 or 7, I think. Maybe midway through S7. Then Jordan got pretty busy (and engaged) during Season 8, and kinda....fell off. I think we went for, like, 4-5 episodes with no official recap, but Ross and I were chiming in a lot on the discussions. For I think maybe Episode 11 or so of this season, I started writing the recaps, so basically anything you see up there since then is me. Ross chimes in at times, too, but usually indicates that it's him writing.

We've had some site issues lately, and it looks like some of the older recaps from this season have gone missing, but hopefully we'll get that and the comments thing fixed soon.
    Apr 1, 2013, 3:30 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #32

Vivek said: View Post
    For the longest time (especially during the early seasons) despite all contrary and Future Ted saying otherwise, I secretly did wish Robin was the Mother. I was thinking maybe they will come up with a clever way to trick the audience. Perhaps Future Ted never referred Robin to his kids as Aunt Robin and it was only for the audience or the other way around with another name; just like sometimes how he hid certain facts from his children and narrated stories with changed details. But once they started building the Barney and Robin relationship, I finally started to accept that it had to be someone else.
    The first episode ends with Future Ted saying "and that kids is how I met your Aunt Robin" with the kids getting irritated with him. Clearly he's calling her "Aunt Robin" to the kids, and clearly they know "Aunt Robin" to not be their mother.

I almost wonder if hooking her up with Barney is a way for the writers to completely drive home that Robin isn't the mother to some viewers. I think some people still won't buy Robin as not the mother unless the mother and Ted get married on screen, she gives birth on screen, and is shown alive interacting with the kids in 2030 while Robin is also present to distinctly show them to be seperate individuals.
    Apr 1, 2013, 3:36 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #33

DuneMuadDib said: View Post
    The first episode ends with Future Ted saying "and that kids is how I met your Aunt Robin" with the kids getting irritated with him. Clearly he's calling her "Aunt Robin" to the kids, and clearly they know "Aunt Robin" to not be their mother.

I almost wonder if hooking her up with Barney is a way for the writers to completely drive home that Robin isn't the mother to some viewers. I think some people still won't buy Robin as not the mother unless the mother and Ted get married on screen, she gives birth on screen, and is shown alive interacting with the kids in 2030 while Robin is also present to distinctly show them to be seperate individuals.
    And even then it won't matter. Some people, I'm sure, still "ship" Harry and Hermione...
    Apr 1, 2013, 4:12 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #34

That fandom ships everyone with everyone. There are some really bizarre pairings.

Damn, now I'm have curious to see what HIMYM fanfic is out there. Must resist, can't do that to my brain.
    Apr 1, 2013, 4:32 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #35

Barney/Everyone.

God bless that man.
    From
    India
    Apr 1, 2013, 9:54 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #36

I've been writing the recaps on the HYMT site since....hmm....Episode 11 of this season? JD started the site, and then Jordan took it over around Season 6 or 7, I think. Maybe midway through S7. Then Jordan got pretty busy (and engaged) during Season 8, and kinda....fell off. I think we went for, like, 4-5 episodes with no official recap, but Ross and I were chiming in a lot on the discussions. For I think maybe Episode 11 or so of this season, I started writing the recaps, so basically anything you see up there since then is me. Ross chimes in at times, too, but usually indicates that it's him writing.

We've had some site issues lately, and it looks like some of the older recaps from this season have gone missing, but hopefully we'll get that and the comments thing fixed soon.
    Cool, that's good to know.

Right, I knew they are not a possibility right from the pilot episode, it was mere wishful thinking on my part.

From
    India
    May 15, 2013, 4:42 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #37

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER Season 9 Will Take Place Over the Course of One Weekend | Collider (SPOILERS, if you have not seen the season 8 finale)

As soon as they revealed the character during the season finale, I knew she looked familiar. It's later I found out that I remember her from 30 Rock.

Curious to see how this entire weekend storyline across 24 episodes will pan out. I was hoping we would get to see Ted and her relationship develop across several weeks if not for months.
    May 15, 2013, 5:16 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #38

(SPOILERS, if you have not seen the season 8 finale)

An entire weekend? Well, they always seem to surprise us, so that means the series won't end with Ted's wedding then? How are they going to develop the perfect relationship between him and the mom that was teased for 8 seasons.

I'm a bit worried now, but who knows, it could be the best season ever
    May 15, 2013, 6:59 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #39

Yeah, gut reaction is that I don't like this idea. A few episodes dragging out the wedding would be fine, give the rest of the season showing the audience WHY this woman is the perfect girl for Ted and he gets over Robin finally. Dragging out the final few days over a 24 episode season strikes me as excessive and I'm not convinced there's enough in that small span of time to carry a full season. Maybe if they do mother-centric flashbacks or something, but I foresee this concept wearing thin before the season's over.
    May 16, 2013, 10:55 AM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #40

NOT happy about this decision, and I'm voicing my opinion. This insistence on ending the series with the titular meeting, and refusal to show the two of them falling in love and getting to know each other just pisses me off to no end. I might actually quit watching because I just DON'T CARE about Barney and Robin's freaking wedding. Even as a framing device, it'll be a distraction and take time away from the two of them getting to know each other and falling in love.
    From
    Lincoln, NE
    May 16, 2013, 12:08 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #41

NOT happy about this decision, and I'm voicing my opinion. This insistence on ending the series with the titular meeting, and refusal to show the two of them falling in love and getting to know each other just pisses me off to no end. I might actually quit watching because I just DON'T CARE about Barney and Robin's freaking wedding. Even as a framing device, it'll be a distraction and take time away from the two of them getting to know each other and falling in love.
    I actually disagree. They have spent 8 years building up to this meeting and setting expectations for this woman. I just don't think anything they do to show their relationship would equal that build-up. Fans *think* they want to know more of the story of them falling in love, but how could they possibly top 8 years of Ted's stories? Especially in a single season? The show has always been called How I MET Your Mother, not How I Fell In Love With Your Mother.
    May 16, 2013, 12:13 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #42

So, what, it's better to just dodge it altogether by having an entire season of filler? Really? THAT'S better than even trying to pay off the buildup?

People think they can't possibly write a couple that loves each other and still have it be interesting, right? Well, what about the stuff Lily and Marshall have gone through? Have they not been entertaining and compelling the bulk of the way through? I don't buy that it can't be done. I think that's just people chickening out. And even if it can't be done as well as folks would like, it's better than coming up with a doofy ploy to dodge it entirely.

And seriously, don't start with the "It's How I MET Your Mother" thing. I'll blow enough holes in that argument to make you think it's swiss cheese. Not trying to be snarky with you, I'm just really tired of that line of argument.
    From
    Lincoln, NE
    May 16, 2013, 12:34 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #43

And seriously, don't start with the "It's How I MET Your Mother" thing. I'll blow enough holes in that argument to make you think it's swiss cheese. Not trying to be snarky with you, I'm just really tired of that line of argument.
    Maybe not trying to be snarky, but certainly succeeding anyway. Good luck with your hate of the final season.
  19. Laundry Sheriff RPF Premium Member TheNickFox's Avatar
    May 16, 2013, 12:42 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #44

Well if the season involves individual episodes for each of the characters to meet the mother first then that won't last a full season...meaning my money is on Ted meeting her halfway through the season. Or more specifically, I see the season going like this:

Episode 1 - Ted almost talks Robin out of the wedding, but just gives her the locket instead because he truly wants her to be happy.
    Episode 2 - Continuing on the flashforwards we've seen of the wedding day, ending in Barney and Robin ready to get married.
    Episode 3 - Robin meets the mother (Outside the church where the mother helps pump her up before going through the door)
    Episode 4 - Barney meets the mother (Where he talks about how he would have made passes at her before today, but she manages to out clever him, like Robin used to do)
    Episode 5 - Lilly meets the mother (Where the mother gives her advice on how to choose between the judgeship and Rome)
    Episode 6 - Marshall meets the mother (Where she discusses Sasquatch with him/and or uses her previous conversation with Lilly to give him even better advice about the same life choice)
    Episode 7 - Reception, Ted is mopey, Lilly and Marshall reveal they're staying, and try to convince Ted to do the same. He still says he's moving and is now MORE mopey. Episode ends with him seeing her on the bass.
    Episode 8 - The train station. They never end up getting on the train and go to his place in Farhampton.

Episodes 9-21: Whirlwind relationship, her meeting people, and loose ends

Episode 22: Present day, emotional reveal of something to end the series poigntantly on. (Mother is dead, perhaps) As well as some joke or explanations as to how Ted becomes Bob Saget...like maybe the Mother is now voiced by Becky from Full House.

So even if everyone meets her individually, they still have tons of time to show the relationship...unless they mean EVERYONE will meet her individually, in which case, I can't wait for Ranjit's episode.

-Nick
    Last edited by TheNickFox; May 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
    May 16, 2013, 12:58 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #45

Zuiun said: View Post
    Maybe not trying to be snarky, but certainly succeeding anyway. Good luck with your hate of the final season.
    Thanks. And good luck with your umbrage.

TheNickFox said: View Post
    Well if the season involves individual episodes for each of the characters to meet the mother first then that won't last a full season...meaning my money is on Ted meeting her halfway through the season. Or more specifically, I see the season going like this:

Episode 1 - Ted almost talks Robin out of the wedding, but just gives her the locket instead because he truly wants her to be happy.
    Episode 2 - Continuing on the flashforwards we've seen of the wedding day, ending in Barney and Robin ready to get married.
    Episode 3 - Robin meets the mother (Outside the church where the mother helps pump her up before going through the door)
    Episode 4 - Barney meets the mother (Where he talks about how he would have made passes at her before today, but she manages to out clever him, like Robin used to do)
    Episode 5 - Lilly meets the mother (Where the mother gives her advice on how to choose between the judgeship and Rome)
    Episode 6 - Marshall meets the mother (Where she discusses Sasquatch with him/and or uses her previous conversation with Lilly to give him even better advice about the same life choice)
    Episode 7 - Reception, Ted is mopey, Lilly and Marshall reveal they're staying, and try to convince Ted to do the same. He still says he's moving and is now MORE mopey. Episode ends with him seeing her on the bass.
    Episode 8 - The train station. They never end up getting on the train and go to his place in Farhampton.

Episodes 9-21: Whirlwind relationship, her meeting people, and loose ends

Episode 22: Present day, emotional reveal of something to end the series poigntantly on. (Mother is dead, perhaps) As well as some joke or explanations as to how Ted becomes Bob Saget...like maybe the Mother is now voiced by Becky from Full House.

So even if everyone meets her individually, they still have tons of time to show the relationship.

-Nick
    TVline has heard from CBS' entertainment president, Nina Tassler that:

Season 9′s entire run will, in fact, span the wedding weekend and just the wedding weekend, as the comedy details “how each character, before Ted, meets the mother. So, they each meet her independently before he does.”
    (emphasis added)

Everyone's saying "Oh, I'm sure they'll flash back and flash forward" but (A) the statement above speaks to the contrary, and (B) even if they do, dragging out a wedding that nobody really cares about anymore JUST so that they can end with the literal meeting ("Hi, I'm Ted." "Hi, I'm [The Mother]" -- and that's it, roll credits) is just dragging things out for no reason.

I mean, read the words, man. I wish I could explain it away somehow or say "But...they'd NEVER really do THAT.....right?" But yeah, it looks like that's exactly what they're doing. A season of nothing but wedding hijinks, and everyone BUT Ted meeting the Mother, only finally ending with Ted's literal introduction to her. That's it. That's your show.
  21. Laundry Sheriff RPF Premium Member TheNickFox's Avatar
    May 16, 2013, 1:15 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #46

I agree, that's why I spelled out everything that had to happen before Ted can meet the mother. Hell, let's throw in a few filler episodes:

Filler - Barney and Robin break down on the side of the road and they hitchhike to the wedding with increasingly ridiculous people.

Filler - An entire episode of Barney and Robin opening wedding gifts...and they get TWO punch bowls. THE HORROR!

Filler - Ted attempts to hook up with random girls at the wedding. Fails.

That would still only get us to episode 11, by episode 12 we have to have them meet. The one thing is, there is STILL one more day in the weekend after he meets her, assuming the wedding is on a Saturday. If the wedding is on a Friday, they have TWO days that will occur over the course of episodes 12-21.

I'm not saying I like the idea, I'm just saying, unless we have those weird story within a story episodes (Seriously, writers, he's already telling his kids a story, why would he tell them a story about someone telling a story?!) they have to have them meet by mid-season, leaving them to cover the remainder of the weekend and how they fell for each other over the rest of the season.

Writers had also said that we would be "introduced" to the Mother without knowing it was her during season 7...so I'm willing to bet we don't always get the whole story/they change their minds.

-Nick
    May 16, 2013, 2:08 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #47

If 24 can do one day in 24 hour long episodes, i'm guessing they can do the wedding weekend (friday through monday morning) in 24 30 minute episodes. Ted said he was moving/leaving first thing monday morning, so that's the outer limit from what we know.
  23. RPF Premium Member jcoffman99's Avatar
    From
    Western Maryland
    May 16, 2013, 2:11 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #48

I'm not going to pass judgement until I see the whole season play out for the simple reason that if there's one thing this show has taught me over the years, it's that it can have incredibly powerful moments. If the last episode were nothing more than the camera panning through photo albums that show their courtship, I'd be okay with that if done right.
    May 16, 2013, 3:04 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #49

cboath said: View Post
    If 24 can do one day in 24 hour long episodes, i'm guessing they can do the wedding weekend (friday through monday morning) in 24 30 minute episodes. Ted said he was moving/leaving first thing monday morning, so that's the outer limit from what we know.
    That was also 24's gimmick, and as the show wore on the restraints of the gimmick didn't always work in the writers' favor. It's also a different genre show with different writers and different themes.

Had they not gotten Season 9 they would have ended the show with Ted meeting the mother properly in Monday's finale and called it a day. SInce they have one more year but only a weekend's worth of story they're going to drag things out well beyond what's reasonable. You absolutely know that given what's happened in the last few episodes: we're going to get Ted moping over Robin marrying Barney, Lilly and Marshall 'fighting' over going to Rome, and Robin having cold feet about the wedding. With the season covering the span of maybe three days they'll either really, really drag those storylines out, or it'll be the absolute worst weekend ever for them so that there's enough story and conflict to try and hold on to the attention of the ever impatient audience. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm expecting a lot of pointless filler and retreading the same narrative beats for a few months of the season just because they're so enamored with the idea of the wedding being the entire last season.
    May 16, 2013, 3:23 PM - Re: How I Met Your Mother #50

TheNickFox said: View Post
    I agree, that's why I spelled out everything that had to happen before Ted can meet the mother. Hell, let's throw in a few filler episodes:

Filler - Barney and Robin break down on the side of the road and they hitchhike to the wedding with increasingly ridiculous people.

Filler - An entire episode of Barney and Robin opening wedding gifts...and they get TWO punch bowls. THE HORROR!

Filler - Ted attempts to hook up with random girls at the wedding. Fails.

That would still only get us to episode 11, by episode 12 we have to have them meet. The one thing is, there is STILL one more day in the weekend after he meets her, assuming the wedding is on a Saturday. If the wedding is on a Friday, they have TWO days that will occur over the course of episodes 12-21.

I'm not saying I like the idea, I'm just saying, unless we have those weird story within a story episodes (Seriously, writers, he's already telling his kids a story, why would he tell them a story about someone telling a story?!) they have to have them meet by mid-season, leaving them to cover the remainder of the weekend and how they fell for each other over the rest of the season.

Writers had also said that we would be "introduced" to the Mother without knowing it was her during season 7...so I'm willing to bet we don't always get the whole story/they change their minds.

-Nick
    I don't disagree, but to me this illustrates the very problem with limiting the action to just the wedding. THat's a LOT of stupid filler for no good reason. Just tell the damn story already and show us the two of them together, falling for each other. Why is the Mother the "One" for Ted? Hell, what's different or good about Ted that would make any woman have him at this point? Why is HE the "One" for her?! We're supposed to buy that this will work based on conversations these two have with other people BEFORE they meet? For 22-24 episodes?

This is a recipe for disaster. And that's why I think NOW is the time for the fan base to come out against it. Once they really get deep into the writing process this summer, and particularly when they start shooting, it'll be a LOT harder to switch gears. I grant you, you could legitimately do the story of Robin and Barney's wedding for maybe 5 episodes and then have them meet. Past that? It stretches credibility, patience, and will, I suspect, wear thin VERY quickly. And that's even if they do side stories and flashbacks and flashes forward.

cboath said: View Post
    24 was also a 1-hour format show. It "worked" in that sense. And it was still gimmicky. It's not something that should be repeated by other shows. And anyway, these guys (as far as I know) didn't write for 24.

jcoffman99 said: View Post
    I'm not going to pass judgement until I see the whole season play out for the simple reason that if there's one thing this show has taught me over the years, it's that it can have incredibly powerful moments. If the last episode were nothing more than the camera panning through photo albums that show their courtship, I'd be okay with that if done right.
    They can absolutely hit the high moments when they want to...which is why it's so damn disappointing when they seem content to just spin their wheels endlessly, like they appear to be doing here. Think about this season. There were some AMAZING moments in it...which were subsequently undermined in the following episodes, sometimes even the very NEXT episode.

That was also 24's gimmick, and as the show wore on the restraints of the gimmick didn't always work in the writers' favor. It's also a different genre show with different writers and different themes.

Had they not gotten Season 9 they would have ended the show with Ted meeting the mother properly in Monday's finale and called it a day. SInce they have one more year but only a weekend's worth of story they're going to drag things out well beyond what's reasonable. You absolutely know that given what's happened in the last few episodes: we're going to get Ted moping over Robin marrying Barney, Lilly and Marshall 'fighting' over going to Rome, and Robin having cold feet about the wedding.
    Don't forget Robin likely finding out Ted ditched Victoria to keep her in his life, and Ted's delivery of the locket to...someone.

With the season covering the span of maybe three days they'll either really, really drag those storylines out, or it'll be the absolute worst weekend ever for them so that there's enough story and conflict to try and hold on to the attention of the ever impatient audience. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm expecting a lot of pointless filler and retreading the same narrative beats for a few months of the season just because they're so enamored with the idea of the wedding being the entire last season.
    Exactly. And this is why it's an awful idea. It won't work. Personally, I think even as a simple framing device for the season, it won't work. It's just the writers being cowardly and not having enough faith in their own ability to write the character of the Mother, put her with Ted, and show them actually being -- SHOCK! AMAZEMENT! -- happy together. And yet, they've been doing the exact same thing with Lily and Marshall for years now, and showing it can be done. Why not get to see a relationship that develops WELL, huh? It just doesn't make any sense.

One theory I came up with is that this is CBS trying to get ammo to tell them "No. you do it differently. Not a whole season of the wedding. You get 1/3 of the season, and then you MOVE ON." So, they leak the info in the terms described above. Which, I might add, are quite precise and definite. This isn't "Oh, you're gonna love how they play with time this season. Stay tuned!" This is "Yes. the season is nothing but the wedding. Deal with it." Perhaps CBS is intentionally stoking fan outrage to make a point to the creators, and to gauge just how much this would hurt ratings and ad revenues.