Godzilla (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
Godzilla movie discussion with spoilers.

Godzilla got released in some parts of Europe on May 14, while some countries are getting it tomorrow on May 15. US release is on May 16.

You can find the pre-release discussion thread here.

Godzilla - Official Main Trailer [HD] - YouTube

Release Date: May 16, 2014.

Synopsis: The world's most famous monster is pitted against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity's scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence.

Director: Gareth Edwards
Writers: Max Borenstein (screenplay), Dave Callaham (story)
Cast: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Bryan Cranston, Ken Watanabe, Juliette Binoche, Sally Hawkins, David Strathairn

IMDB: Godzilla (2014) - IMDb

14161068166_4e0d91418d_o.jpg

Godzilla: The Art of Destruction: Mark Cotta Vaz: 9781608873449: Amazon.com: Books
Godzilla: The Art of Destruction - $27.00

13997585358_9b2823f628_o.jpg

Amazon.com: NECA Godzilla - 12" Head to Tail "Modern Godzilla" Action Figure - Series 1: Toys & Games
NECA Godzilla 6" figure (Modern Godzilla) - $22.99

"This 6" tall figure is highly detailed and fully articulated and 12" long from head to tail. Over 25 points of articulation and a bendable tail."

14161067966_85461aa7ec_c.jpg

Amazon.com: Godzilla Movie Atomic Roar Action Figure: Toys & Games
Bandai Godzilla Movie Atomic Roar Action Figure - $29.99

"Figure measures approximately 10 inches tall, and features authentic sounds and atomic breath action"

14184215564_7131096b1c_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beyond amazing, loved the movie regardless, great monster fights, but I will mention
i'm kinda surprised they went so strongly with the Godzilla is a hero angle with this one. Considering the trailers leading up to this were presenting the film as being ominous. And it's not just a matter of Godzilla conveniently killing the Muto's. By the end of the film, there are people literally looking up to Godzilla as a hero, sharing emotions with him and they even call him a savior on the news.

AAARRRRGHHHH GODZILLLLLAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
Never has the sentence “Let them fight” had such relevant meaning in a film, and I thought , its a fairly purposefully bloody cheeky line to include, given the two significant cutaways happening right at two of these key action points. I was almost ready to chuck my popcorn and possibly the seat at the screen if it occurred the third time, had the film not actually delivered on its promise right at the end. And it certainly did so in spades!!!
First off, it’s a great monster film, with a fairly old fashioned feel (excluding the effects!!!)and a VERY respectful bow to the Godzilla mythology, and there are some lovely sequences and nods to that all the way through the movie. This should be well received in Japan.
The dark and serious tone to it feels absolute right to me. This didn’t feel as juvenile and throw away as Pacific Rim. There is impossible carnage here and a terrible human cost to be paid with the appearance of these creatures, and playing it dead straight with both the characters and storyline enables the dreadening atmosphere to develop perfectly as a monster movie ,with a build up to that final epic showdown which looks both terribly dramatic and magnificently destructive in 3D( It was worth paying the extra for that The HALO drop sequence alone).
I don’t understand a lot of the complaints that some of the critics seemed to have focused on by slating the weak character development and poor old Aaron seemed get a lot of stick for his. All I can say is he is playing a bomb disposal expert for chrissake!!!! and they aren’t generally known for their flamboyantly optimistic personalities. I thought the balance between realistic human characters and the monsters was just right,the one letting go of screentime to the awesome other as we got towards the end, although those two serious cutaways leading to it jarred annoyingly , but I DO understand why they were done like that. That’s how disasters feel like I guess, and it all paid up on that final smack down and by the gods, that was superbly done!!
And Godzilla? Well, as a kid who watched the movies on TV I thought this incarnation of him was brilliant, the early peaks you get of him help to establish just how huge he is and there were some beautiful scaling effects shots used here where the light/darkness ,the buildings/ships and the oceans/smoke really make his contrast and size stand out magnificently. His build and bulk had the kind of mountain- slope shouldered power of a nightmarishly giant grizzly bear crossed with the invulnerable reptile hide of a salt water crocodile and it really worked well for the King of the Monsters, though given the terrible scale of the damage done I could hardly bring myself to call him a “heroic” figure, but definitely a breathtaking if devastating force of nature.
Really enjoyed watching it, the mutos reminded me of the creature from “Cloverfield” with a different head. Liked the serious attempt to psuedo science the biology, made me laugh though. And I still wished old Harryhausen was alive to have seen this, he’d have loved it as a homage to his monsterous creature classics!!

PS Lots of great trailers with this including a fairly downbeat one for "Interstellar " ,which is nothing like I imagined it to be. However, "Edge of Tomorrow," The new X men, and Tranformers were.

Last edited:
I watched it today and it was amazing. So much destruction and chaos. I loved the nod to other monster movies too. One I noticed was the one to Jurassic Park where the bus driver rubs his hand to clear the misty window.

HE HAS ATOMIC BREATH! I was waiting for this to happen and the moment you see the blue glow, you know.

Just saw the movie now and I have to say it was a bit of a mixed bag for me, for every scene I loved there was one that kinda fell flat for me. I liked the fact that they focused on the human element rather than the monsters and how the people deal liveing in a world which now contains monsters. My main problem with this was the constant teasing of an "almost" fight scene before they cut away to something else, because of this the final battle had a lot to live up to and I feel it fell short simply due to the amount of teasing they had before hand.

It's not a bad movie, it was entertaining and the effects and cinematography were all amazing, I think I had high expectations due to the theme of the trailer which were different to the movie.

Dan.

Hmmmm, never a Zilla fan but thought the trailer sold it well....hmmmm I think it lost the plot for me once you know who was out of the way, a real actor and then just some actors that never really griped

Not sure!!!, I enjoyed it but think it lacked something big, like caring about it, I'm sure it will go down well with Fanboys but was just a good popcorn flick to me, was hoping for a lot more but I don't know why??

It was shot really well and looked amazing but just lacked something special. I really agree with the above statement about teasing, but it didn't really deliver either. I think though this is a sign of less is more which is brave as we've been beaten to death by " more" for a few years now. I think on the whole the Cinema is lacking characters these days.... I just don't seem to give a damn about the cast in big movies. Worth going to see but not worth running people over on the way in haste

If you've never been into monster movies I can see how this Godzilla might be disappointing (but NEVER so disappointing as in his other recent modern incantation!!!!!). Monster movies are forever destined to struggle to escape their “B movies” origins and plot, which ,however many millions you spend on the effects budget , is really just about the giant monster and the marvellously destructive mash it makes when it collides with human civilisation.
A lot of the pleasure in watching this one for me came from a very strong sense of childhood nostalgia. These small budget movie monsters thrilled my uncomplicated six year old soul, which was already heavily smitten by prehistoric dinosaurs as it was. As a family we were watching films like Them, Gorgo, King Kong and the Beast from 20,000 fathoms on Sunday afternoon television along with now sci fi classics like War of the Worlds and I would draw the characters from them endlessly afterward. None of them were human I should add (unless you include the little stick figures being chased, caught, crushed ,stomped on ,incinerated and finally eaten that is)
Just ten years on and Star Wars would almost utterly banish this once popular film subculture almost to extinction, and then Alien arguably did so , both personally and culturally ,so I was very surprised at just how faithfully Gareth Edwards has managed to recreate an exact copy of an old fashioned B movie beat for beat as he has done here.
Whether that will go down well with a modern audiences who has been cultivated to expect a much more rapid and action packed pace, only the eventual box office return will reveal. As I said , I think they seriously messed up those two crucial action scenes by cutting the POV away from them and flipping them to the TV ,so flipping me straight out the film twice. But the ending was still enough of a payoff for me to still enjoy it.
I liked it alot more than Peter Jacksons “King Kong” and “Cloverfield” whose hidden monster when finally revealed did disappoint me a bit. "Monsters" was too slow but a brillantly bit of budget movie making and “Pacific Rim” was fun but rather too comic book for me, but it got the fight sequences featured and timed right.
I think that Godzilla is the best big budget monster movie I've yet seen , but its limitations will always be so very apparent when up against some of the well written and more character focused competition like the Marvel franchises. I'll be interested to see how this plays with the Asian markets, where it should make back its box office like Pacific Rim.

Last edited:
From the reviews here it's as I suspected:if you're a Godzilla fan you'll love this,if you like to endlessly critique things to death then you may go nuts.....

And if you don't like Pacific Rim then I think maybe you've never watched anime since that was what it was-the closest a film has gotten to date to a live action anime and to be precise a mecha anime.

I'm looking forward to Godzilla,it sound's like it'll hit the mark finally and we can ether bury that 1998 mistake or rename it.

Oh and forget "character development" the Japanese have tried that and it always sucks,this is a monster movie and all the people are there for is to show how we'd deal with a giant whatever popping up and destroying things.

I plan to be there ether next Wed or Thr :thumbsup

To those who have seen the movie, I have but one question. You can put spoiler tags around your answer if you want. His feet. His feet have been my biggest issue with the new look. In the movie, do they fit with the overall design? In the previews I just can't see them as being realistic feet and look goofy. What say you, did they work in the movie?

To those who have seen the movie, I have but one question. You can put spoiler tags around your answer if you want. His feet. His feet have been my biggest issue with the new look. In the movie, do they fit with the overall design? In the previews I just can't see them as being realistic feet and look goofy. What say you, did they work in the movie?

From the toy pictures above I do think they look odd,very odd but they wanted to get away from the man in a rubber suit vibe so we have to live with it.

And we don't see his feet too much anyway,I'll defiantly see how it goes when I watch it.

There is one trailer that shows his foot coming down, looks to be at an airport, and it looks like he has no toes at all. Looks more like an elephants foot with big toenails. Just struck me as a very odd design for a foot that would need to help balance such a large animal.

To those who've seen it, is the music as corny in the movie as it is in the released clips of it? I was kinda hoping that the stuff in this clip was just a temp track...

Honestly, this scene seemed like it would've been a whole lot better without the music and just the sound effects only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its Feet were def an odd design, way to abnormal for what your brain would expect to see!!! Re the soundtrack for that seen I honestly couldn't tell you but I don't recall hating it

So apparently "Let them fight" didnt also include "Let us SEE that fight" ... It felt like a tease everytime a fight started that by the time they really showed it, I wasnt sure it was going to continue until it was over.

i just saw the movie and I think its great........I dont try and make any comments or complaints as long as I like the movie...yes certain comments I may agree with...but they remake so many films with todays techno....but this made Godzilla look realistic....awsome flict....I wish they would have re-worked Blue Oyster Cults version of the song Godzilla for the final song....I would have been Epic......

Last edited:
I was very pleased with this film. They did cut some footage that was used in the trailers, which didn't bother me at all. The pacing was very good. Some of the scenes that were shown at WonderCon and other places as previews ended up being a lot longer, and that also was just fine with me :)

The music was cheesy at the beginning, reminded me of the score from Continuum. TV-score level of quality. They should have had Bear McCreary do it.
But as the film progressed, the score becomes transparent and you forget about it.

Several movie tropes hit on in this film, including the dog that's *apparently* getting away from a disaster.
I didn't catch any Wilhelms, but I'm sure they're in there somewhere.

In the opening credits, there are *lots* of easter eggs hidden in plain sight, and lots of goodies for us movie nerds. Several from Blade Runner, in fact.

Interesting timing that they named the carrier the Saratoga, and this movie came out the same week the actual Saratoga was sold for scrap for $1.

I enjoyed Godzilla. The movie isn't over the top monster action all the way through, as it has a more grounded and serious approach. There is mayhem and destruction early on but there is lot of tease and anticipation on the monster end, which makes it more effective when Godzilla comes into play.

The more human story elements of the movie might disappoint some viewers, but I think it works and is in line with the original Japanese film. Also really liked Alexandre Desplat's bombastic musical score.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back