Game of Thrones fans - help me out

dascoyne

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Simple question - what's so good about the show?

I'm not baiting for an argument I just want to find a compelling reason for me to start watching the show.

I did watch part of the pilot last year but, my initial impression, was that the characters (so far) didn't seem very sympathetic. As a result I really didn't care about what happened to anybody. I didn't finish it.

Admittedly, I was probably multitasking while it was on so I probably missed a lot. But I didn't feel like putting in the work to get into the story at the time.

Since then a lot of folks I know, whose opinions and tastes I respect, are fans of the series so I'm open to giving it another go.

But what is it that makes the show so good (without spoilers, please)? Is it the writing? Am I not supposed to empathize with the characters (e.g. they're so screwed up but still fascinating because you have no inherent emotional allegiance as a viewer?) Do characters and relationships just become more intricate and interesting? Is it simply a good cliffhanger with unexpected turns?

What's the best way to approach it as a viewer?

Thanks.

None of the "good guys" are perfect, and none - ok, VERY few - of the "bad guys" are completely without virtue. Some characters change for one reason or another, so that you like them more or less than you do at first.

At least watch the first season - that'll be enough to give you a fair assessment of the series.

As a result I really didn't care about what happened to anybody.

This will quickly change if you at least watch the first season. I, myself, didn't get into the hype until last year when Comcast was doing a free week of premium channels including HBO. I watched the first two seasons in TWO DAYS. Couldn't wait the for the third season premiere which was only a few days later.

Am I not supposed to empathize with the characters (e.g. they're so screwed up but still fascinating because you have no inherent emotional allegiance as a viewer?)

The complete opposite. Everyone I know, including me, who watches the show, has found themselves emotionally invested in many of the characters. We love certain characters and despise others whether they are considered "good" or "evil" by the viewing populace. Ecstatic when certain things happen, devastated when other things do. Obviously, none of this is possible without the writing by George R.R. Martin and his co-writers for the show as well as the some of the great acting by the cast.

Why does watching one of the best written/directed/filmed,visually stunning shows ever to have been brought to the screen have to be broken down into simplistic (Tard) terms? It's BAD ASS... SIMPLE Enough. If one doesn't care for the genre,or the graphic violence, nudity, language, or politics... Turn it off and watch something else... Easy enough. Watch something else. Why the need to be convinced? Seriously?

If nothing else, since you're a member of the RPF, watch it for the awesome props, sets, visuals, and costumes. The budget is all up there on the screen. Pretty damn impressive since a lot times thats where shows tend to scrimp and it shows. GoT does not do this. Then, as others have said, there's great writing, directing, beautiful camera work, the list just goes on. I knew nothing of the books before watching the show, but I was hooked right away.

That's just what I needed to know.

I was hoping to get inspired to take some initiative and give it another go, and that's what I got. Thanks, all.

My professional/personal life nowadays is so busy I want to be selective about what I watch in my (meager) spare time. Part of me does occasionally miss the days when I was single - when I could burn an entire weekend without shaving, playing online nonstop or watching marathon sessions of programming.
No regrets ... but enjoy it while you can, I say.

Thanks.

I know a lot of people these days that have to be selective about what they watch, and it pays to be choosy. But Game of Thrones is probably one of the most intriguing shows you could ever invest your time in. It is the creme-de-la-creme of shows; (very) complex storylines, an amazing blend of history and fantasy, well fleshed-out worlds, charismatic characters, top-notch acting, gorgeous sets, locations and props, meticulous attention to details, etc. etc. and the list goes on.

Be selective, yes. But if you’re going to watch it, really watch it; you need to pay attention in this series! If you are surrounded by screaming children, ringing phones and constant disruptions, you might as well just give it a pass and stick to half-hour sitcoms. This is a show that is crammed with subtly and intrigues, and if you miss the look on someone’s face, or a small detail, you could be missing some important clues to what makes this such a fascinating show.

Millions of people aren’t buzzing about it for nothing. Give it a concerted effort and I would bet that you will be loving it as much as most of us and watching it over to catch every detail.

In a nutshell, it's SUPERB!

I know a lot of people these days that have to be selective about what they watch, and it pays to be choosy. But Game of Thrones is probably one of the most intriguing shows you could ever invest your time in. It is the creme-de-la-creme of shows; (very) complex storylines, an amazing blend of history and fantasy, well fleshed-out worlds, charismatic characters, top-notch acting, gorgeous sets, locations and props, meticulous attention to details, etc. etc. and the list goes on.

Be selective, yes. But if you’re going to watch it, really watch it; you need to pay attention in this series! If you are surrounded by screaming children, ringing phones and constant disruptions, you might as well just give it a pass and stick to half-hour sitcoms. This is a show that is crammed with subtly and intrigues, and if you miss the look on someone’s face, or a small detail, you could be missing some important clues to what makes this such a fascinating show.

Millions of people aren’t buzzing about it for nothing. Give it a concerted effort and I would bet that you will be loving it as much as most of us and watching it over to catch every detail.

In a nutshell, it's SUPERB!
Understood.

The best works of film and television simply can't be viewed passively.
(e.g. BBC miniseries' The Singing Detective (not the Hollywood movie), Smiley's People and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (also not the movie)).

I'll watch Game of Thrones only when I have the time and space to give it my undivided attention.

I don't think any show can be given a fair shake from just the pilot. The cast needs time to 'gel' together and get into their rhythms.

GoT is not exactly a show for sympathetic characters per se. They're all flawed in one way or another. But as the series moves on, many of them have their moments. It really is remarkable how the series weaves together so many storylines into one grand narrative without getting too convoluted or confusing.

Understood.

The best works of film and television simply can't be viewed passively.
(e.g. BBC miniseries' The Singing Detective (not the Hollywood movie), Smiley's People and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (also not the movie)).

I'll watch Game of Thrones only when I have the time and space to give it my undivided attention.

Good plan.

The one other thing I'd say is that the first season is basically the first novel with a few minor changes here and there. The second season is the second novel (mostly). The third season is the first half of the third novel, and the current season is the second half.

This is significant in terms of how the show unfolds for you. It's not episodic television -- it's a novel on the screen. It starts somewhat slowly, gradually building, and then shifting focus over time, but all in service to a single, larger story. It's not one-off episodes like a police procedural or medical drama. Nor is it a serial like, say, Prison Break where each episode ends on a cliffhanger. That's a big part of why you have to be able to sit down and enjoy it the way you would a novel, giving it your attention.

The other major benefit of the show is that the seasons are 10 episodes a piece (10 or 11, I think, actually), rather than a typical network run of 22 hour-long episodes in a season. This means you can get your hands around it in relatively short order, and still get a satisfying story. There's a reason most cable networks have adopted the 10-13 episode season for their shows now. It lets them concentrate their budget and tell a much more focused story.

Frankly the pilot is not that impressive. There's a lot of character introduction and set. You don't really start to dive into the characters until after the pilot.

Everything just keeps snowballing, plots get deeper. It's often hard to see what might be coming next. Things you thought were one way often turn out another more twisted way, characters in the series are not always what they seem. One character in particular goes from being one I hated to one of the favorites. There is no black and white.

The way the pilot ends in the last few minutes was what got me hooked. My reaction was that's just messed up and wrong, I've got to see how this turns out. Watched the next episode, got more into the characters motives/personalities, had to keep going. Got to episode 9 and just raged over the outcome/innjustice. I would up watching the first season in one night, going from meh, to totally engrossed.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back