Game of Thrones

Let's see... a role on GoT or the lead in the new most likely direct to DVD "Transporter" movie...Ed Skrein, enjoy slamming your head against various
walls while saying "Stupid stupid stupid" for the rest of your life

Let's see... a role on GoT or the lead in the new most likely direct to DVD "Transporter" movie...Ed Skrein, enjoy slamming your head against various
walls while saying "Stupid stupid stupid" for the rest of your life

He didnt get the Transporter movie until after Daario had been recast. The original explanation was he wanted to go on tour with his band. Lately there have been little murmurings that he was difficult on set.

Maybe with Emilia Clarke saying she's done with nudity on the show he lost interest in filming any sex scenes that may be coming?

Seriously though, the new guy is growing on me. He's still not pretty enough to get Dany's teenage girl lizard brain overruling her rationality though.

Boring episode.

Quite frankly, I've read the books, and I think Martin mostly peaked at the Red and Purple Weddings. There's nothing quite as good or shocking after that in the books. Not to say there aren't good scenes still left, just that with all the writing currently available the quality or intensity is downhill from here.

Boring episode.

We watched different episodes, methinks. Starting with Tywin's discussion with Tommen, and ending with the scene outside Mereen, I thought it was all good.

Edited to add: my only real disappointment was the catapults at the last scene. I didn't see the first sign of recoil from them. The Romans didn't call them "Onagers" (wild donkeys) for nothing.

:eekChange the spoilers tag to spoiler so it shows up properly!

That's a pretty big one if someone happens to read it

Crap! Sorry, guys. I fixed it, though. I really should just use the spoiler tag in the chat box editor instead of typing it out. :(

Also, figured I'd leave this here. It's Martin's comments on the scene change, from his blog. You can find the original here.

This is off topic here. This is the section for comments about Junot Diaz and Anne Perry and the Cocteau's author program.

Since a lot of people have been emailing me about this, however, I will reply... but please, take any further discussion of the show to one of the myriad on-line forums devoted to that. I do not want long detailed dissections and debates about the TV series here on my blog.

As for your question... I think the "butterfly effect" that I have spoken of so often was at work here. In the novels, Jaime is not present at Joffrey's death, and indeed, Cersei has been fearful that he is dead himself, that she has lost both the son and the father/ lover/ brother. And then suddenly Jaime is there before her. Maimed and changed, but Jaime nonetheless. Though the time and place is wildly inappropriate and Cersei is fearful of discovery, she is as hungry for him as he is for her.

The whole dynamic is different in the show, where Jaime has been back for weeks at the least, maybe longer, and he and Cersei have been in each other's company on numerous occasions, often quarreling. The setting is the same, but neither character is in the same place as in the books, which may be why Dan & David played the sept out differently. But that's just my surmise; we never discussed this scene, to the best of my recollection.

Also, I was writing the scene from Jaime's POV, so the reader is inside his head, hearing his thoughts. On the TV show, the camera is necessarily external. You don't know what anyone is thinking or feeling, just what they are saying and doing.

If the show had retained some of Cersei's dialogue from the books, it might have left a somewhat different impression -- but that dialogue was very much shaped by the circumstances of the books, delivered by a woman who is seeing her lover again for the first time after a long while apart during which she feared he was dead. I am not sure it would have worked with the new timeline.

That's really all I can say on this issue. The scene was always intended to be disturbing... but I do regret if it has disturbed people for the wrong reasons.

Now, if you please, I'd appreciate it if we could get back to Junot Diaz and Anne Perry and the subjects of the original post.

Last edited:
Boring episode.

Quite frankly, I've read the books, and I think Martin mostly peaked at the Red and Purple Weddings. There's nothing quite as good or shocking after that in the books. Not to say there aren't good scenes still left, just that with all the writing currently available the quality or intensity is downhill from here.

We watched different episodes, methinks. Starting with Tywin's discussion with Tommen, and ending with the scene outside Mereen, I thought it was all good.

Can't kill off a major character every week :) The last episode was so epic that anything short of killing a major character or some huge battle scene this week probably feels "boring"

I didn't find it boring either. As far as intensity going downhill from here, I don't agree. There's plenty to keep interest and at least a couple pretty shocking things still coming up this season. If anything the TV show has the advantage of shortening and condensing some of the lesser subplots which some people may have found tedious reading in books 4 and 5.

Name one scene the books from this point on that is anywhere near as shattering to Martin's world as the Purple or Red Wedding. I can't think of anything. Sure, there's a few things here and there that are interesting, but nothing that had the impact of those two events. Martin needs to step it up in the next book.

Spoiler tag it or PM me with it, but there really simply is nothing as big as those events left in the existing published books.

No argument there - the two weddings and Eddard Stark's execution are the biggest events (to the reader anyway) in the entire series. Maybe the battle of Blackwater in fourth place.

Name one scene the books from this point on that is anywhere near as shattering to Martin's world as the Purple or Red Wedding. I can't think of anything. Sure, there's a few things here and there that are interesting, but nothing that had the impact of those two events. Martin needs to step it up in the next book.

Spoiler tag it or PM me with it, but there really simply is nothing as big as those events left in the existing published books.

There's the scene I'm looking forward to at the end of this season.
The Red Viper vs the Mountain!! And I suppose Lady Stoneheart too, though she hasn't DONE anything yet.
And THEN there's nothing more I'm really excited about.

in addition to what's above...
what happens to Tywin? That changes a hell of a lot. It is just as pivotal if not more so than the death of Joffery

Lysa's "confession" about Jon Arryn's death followed by her trip out the moon door? We assumed it was Cersei/Jamie because of her fear of him exposing them

Jon Snow's cliff hanger
Dany's cliff hanger

to a lesser degree

Young Griff
Quentyn Martell

Books 4 and 5 have a lot of reorganizing from the events that happened in book 3 and set up some real game changing things

- - - Updated - - -

I have a feeling that will change in the next book or two. Or three.

Oh come on. You KNOW he's gonna do another one.

God, I hope not. We'll be waiting 15 years or so for the end of the story at this rate

Last edited:
in addition to what's above...
what happens to Tywin? That changes a hell of a lot. It is just as pivotal if not more so than the death of Joffery

Ok, I'll give you that one as pretty major, though even as good as it is, I don't think that it's even close to the weddings.

Ok, I'll give you that one as pretty major, though even as good as it is, I don't think that it's even close to the weddings.

The thing is, that scene takes place in Book 3. As does one other scene.

The one with Petyr and Lysa at the Moon Door.

I'd say those scenes have a real "WHOA!!!" quality to them.

Boring? Are you kidding?

I just have to call you out on this.

A well written story should not have to cater to the crass mentality of an explosion, car chase or gruesome death in every scene to accommodate the 10-second attention span of bottom-feeders. (Not that I’m calling you that)

A good story builds suspense and intrigue before the climaxes; the whole damned thing doesn’t have to be one!

There hasn’t been one boring scene in the Game of Thrones show at all. Not one! (The books do have a few lagging chapters IMO though, I’ll give you that.)

And besides that, to paint such a broad brush of ‘boring’ to something is just so dismissive and simplistic. Jeez, if Game of Thrones is boring, what the heck isn’t boring to you?

How does having such a jaded perspective contribute in any way?

Hodor is a biiiiiiiiiig boy.

article-0-1C7562C200000578-903_634x631.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back