Frozen (Post-release)

This feels less like a teaser and more like an animated short film who's overall relevance won't amount to jack in the finished product.

It's more like a short film with the supporting cast of the movie. I've seen some early footage of this flick, let's just say I'm not expecting it to be amazing. Then again I'm clearly not the demographic Disney's targeting for Frozen.

50 Things You May Not Know About Disney’s “Frozen”

Visit this site to learn a lot of things, like how women in general are so emotionally sensitive that they're very difficult to animate and how women are so much alike that there is no easy way to distinguish between one and the other. Also, you have to keep them pretty.

.....SCREW THIS MOVIE.

You're taking it way out of context and misunderstanding what he's saying. He's not being sexist, he's merely talking about what makes female characters difficult to animate which has nothing to do with women specifically. Think of it, how many Disney films, or for that matter non-anime, animated movies have more than one female protagonist or major female characters in them? When they do one is the pretty, princess type while the others are older and/or uglier but in this film you have two female characters who appear to be not that much different in age and both are presented as attractive so it's going to be difficult to make them different from each other without doing something drastic to the appearance of one of them; add to that they're sisters so you have to make them look somewhat alike without making them twins.

You're taking it way out of context and misunderstanding what he's saying. He's not being sexist, he's merely talking about what makes female characters difficult to animate which has nothing to do with women specifically.

"Historically speaking, animating female characters are really, really difficult, ’cause they have to go through these range of emotions"
- Lino DiSalvo

I'm no certified drama critic (Do those even exist?), but I'm pretty certain that the male gender can also convey these so-called "range of emotions". I'll even wager that men have the exact same range of emotions that women do. We can look happy, sad, angry, annoyed, jealous, contempt, silly and overjoyed. So where the heck is this historical data that says women have this "range of emotions" that makes it so gosh darn difficult to animate? His comments come off as though it's their fault since he clearly labels the female gender specifically as being difficult to work with.

"So, having a film with two hero female characters was really tough, and having them both in the scene and look very different if they’re echoing the same expression; that Elsa looking angry looks different from Anna (Kristen Bell) being angry.”
- Lino DiSalvo

I was actually surprised he didn't just come out and say "All women look alike". How else can you interpret that when he has difficulty trying to make two female characters look different? Here's an idea. How about you actually stick to the original "The Snow Queen" plot where they aren't sisters? That way you not only have a better reason to not make these two characters look alike, you'll also have animation enthusiast not criticize your approach as cheap animation tactics. Because they're sisters, we can essentially copy and paste without altering much.

This whole "women be difficult" stance is just pathetic. This is Disney for god's sake. They've been able to animate and put emotion into bears, lobsters, fish, dolphins, gargoyle statues, mice, rats, cats, dogs, frogs, raccoons, dragons, cars, aliens, elephants, puppets, gorillas, snakes, monkeys, dear, rabbits, skunks, foxes, tigers, lions, hogs, robots, hyenas, toys, turtles, sharks, clocks, candlesticks, tea pots, tea cups, brooms, moose, monsters, lizards, horses, dinosaurs and now a snowman. But animating human female characters? Hey, hey! That's just crazy talk!

Last edited:
Wow look at the comments on the 50 things site. That guy's getting hammered for what he said in the article. I'm honestly shocked disney doesn't pay folks in s.korea to animate like everyone else these days. They're so hard to work for you'd think everyone woulda said hell no.

Sadly in animation these days you ever notice that male and female characters tend to use the same face shapes? It's been that way in anime which is where the wild hair colors came from but it bugs me that no matter the studio it's like they have blank templates for bodies that they reuse. I'm surprised disney isn't trying to do some damage control.

Hey, just got back from this....I'm seriously impressed. Really funny, and the story is solid. If you can handle a few musical numbers ( which aren't so bad ) I definitely recommend it!!!

The little snowman dude totally steals the show.

"Historically speaking, animating female characters are really, really difficult, ’cause they have to go through these range of emotions"
- Lino DiSalvo

I'm no certified drama critic (Do those even exist?), but I'm pretty certain that the male gender can also convey these so-called "range of emotions". I'll even wager that men have the exact same range of emotions that women do. We can look happy, sad, angry, annoyed, jealous, contempt, silly and overjoyed. So where the heck is this historical data that says women have this "range of emotions" that makes it so gosh darn difficult to animate? His comments come off as though it's their fault since he clearly labels the female gender specifically as being difficult to work with.

"So, having a film with two hero female characters was really tough, and having them both in the scene and look very different if they’re echoing the same expression; that Elsa looking angry looks different from Anna (Kristen Bell) being angry.”
- Lino DiSalvo

I was actually surprised he didn't just come out and say "All women look alike". How else can you interpret that when he has difficulty trying to make two female characters look different? Here's an idea. How about you actually stick to the original "The Snow Queen" plot where they aren't sisters? That way you not only have a better reason to not make these two characters look alike, you'll also have animation enthusiast not criticize your approach as cheap animation tactics. Because they're sisters, we can essentially copy and paste without altering much.

This whole "women be difficult" stance is just pathetic. This is Disney for god's sake. They've been able to animate and put emotion into bears, lobsters, fish, dolphins, gargoyle statues, mice, rats, cats, dogs, frogs, raccoons, dragons, cars, aliens, elephants, puppets, gorillas, snakes, monkeys, dear, rabbits, skunks, foxes, tigers, lions, hogs, robots, hyenas, toys, turtles, sharks, clocks, candlesticks, tea pots, tea cups, brooms, moose, monsters, lizards, horses, dinosaurs and now a snowman. But animating human female characters? Hey, hey! That's just crazy talk!

:lol everyone needs to calm down :lol
Seriously, when I was animating at Disney back in the day, trust me... Female characters were hard to do. Not so much as the "drawing" of them, but the combined "drawing/acting" required for them. Remember, animators are essentially actors who draw the image, personality, action and acting that character has to portray on screen. There are many talented artists at Disney, but not all can handle every character thrown at them. You kind of find your specialty and stick with it. We had guys who excelled at animating animals, or horses, or men, and women. There is a reason you would always see the same animators names associated with certain characters. Mark Henn, who was an AMAZING artist, animated Belle in Beauty and the Beast. He proved he had the incredible sensitivity in his acting to pull off making Belle work convincingly. He went on to animate more female characters because of his ability.
He animated Jasmine in Aladdin and Mulan. So when they say it is difficult, they mean there is so much more than just being an artist to pulling off animating a female character. Then there were acceptions to this whole statement, like Glen Keane, who could pretty much animate ANYTHING given to him, from Ariel in the Little Mermaid, to Tarzan, Aladdin and The Eagle in Rescuers Down Under. That guy could do it all.
Just my two sense.

Cute film...just didn't like the I'm a bad guy thrown in from left field. But it's a kid's flick so what kind of world building/character development is necessary, really?:lol

And the true love deal. I had two or three adults just buzz killing everything, which didn't help. They were just saying, "Yeah right, that's true love?"...Or "Like he would want to kill her so fast". Damn buzzkiller's...:facepalm

Not seen it yet, as it's not released in the UK , but guys............

It's a cartoon lol....... Relax it's not meant to be " gone with the wind" or " birth of a nation"

Too near Christmas for deep meaningful conversations on a cartoon snowman.

Besides I can't wait to see it :lol :popcorn

Seriously the best Disney film in recent history. Wasn't expecting much because I thought they would rely on Olaf too much to entertain, but that was not the case. Catchy tunes, interesting characters. Success all around.

And this is coming from a 23 year old male. Go see it.

So I guess Wreck-It Ralph doesn't count?
Seriously the best Disney film in recent history. Wasn't expecting much because I thought they would rely on Olaf too much to entertain, but that was not the case. Catchy tunes, interesting characters. Success all around.

And this is coming from a 23 year old male. Go see it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back