The Fifth Estate (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
The Fifth Estate movie discussion with spoilers.

THE FIFTH ESTATE Official Trailer - YouTube

Release Date: October 18, 2013

Synopsis: A look at the relationship between WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and his early supporter and eventual colleague Daniel Domscheit-Berg, and how the website's growth and influence led to an irreparable rift between the two friends.

Director: Bill Condon
Writers: Josh Singer, Daniel Domscheit-Berg (book "Inside WikiLeaks: My Time with Julian Assange at the World's Most Dangerous Website"), Luke Harding (book "WikiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange's War on Secrecy" ), David Leigh (book)
Cast: Benedict Cumberbatch, Daniel Brühl, Laura Linney, Stanley Tucci, Anthony Mackie, David Thewlis, Peter Capaldi, Dan Stevens, Alicia Vikander, Carice van Houten

IMDB: The Fifth Estate (2013) - IMDb

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen it on the film festival in Belgium. Contrary to popular belief; this film is really really neutral. There are no sides to choose. It's all up to you what you think. If you know a little about the situation, you won't learn anything new, but it's at least told dramatically. Some things are fictional.
There are also a lot of jokes in there, and for 'us' (we went with the 'dutchlockians group) there were some people who were in the movie. And we seemed to be the only persons who got some jokes as the rest of the theatre was silent.

Fact remains; good movie, very neutral and you decide. In the end, that's what they actually clearly state.

And yes, Cumberbatch will do more Sherlock. Season 3 will air at the end of this year or early 2014. They also appear to have signed up for series 4. In fact, Cumberbatch himself commissioned series 4...

I have seen it on the film festival in Belgium. Contrary to popular belief; this film is really really neutral. There are no sides to choose. It's all up to you what you think.

Impressed to hear this. Being neutral on a subject like this is certainly not the norm.

True. I had very very mixed feelings about spending money to see this film. If it wasn't for going with a group of friends, I wouldn't have seen it. I am glad I did, because my judgements were wrong. I was wholly on Assange's side about this movie first. No matter how much of a fan I am of Cumberbatch. I just felt it was wrong. But I saw it anyway and it is definitely different from what I thought it would be.

That's why this is a good movie. It's partly fictional, partly reality. But it's told in a way where you have to think for yourself. There's no obvious good or bad in this movie. Not like most hollywood productions nowadays. And I felt myself sympathise with both Daniel and Julian.

I small spoiler(maybe);
I laughed when a certain scene came around, often displayed in the trailers. We thought it may be the moment where the swedish sex-offences came around. But it didn't. You'll know it when you see it. And maybe it's not funny, but it was to me.

Why anyone would pay money to glorify that terrorist Julian Assange is beyond me....

You'd be surprised. He's a polarizing figure and that makes money in movies. I don't see it doing well outside of Europe but then again with all the stuff coming out in the news now over here with spying and such it may.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back