Edge of Tomorrow ( Live Die Repeat) (Post-release)

Re: Edge of Tomorrow

Edge of Tomorrow - Official Trailer 1 [HD] - YouTube

Sneak peek: 'Edge of Tomorrow' suits Cruise and Blunt
I admire his dedication as he still continues to take on such physically challenging roles, despite being 51 years old. Some highlights from the USA Today article are listed below.

Blunt trained six days a week for three months to get herself into alien-battling shape, focusing on everything from weights to sprints to yoga, aerial wire work and gymnastics.

"I even learned Krav Maga, a lethal martial arts using pretty much everything including your teeth to destroy," says Blunt. "That was pretty fun."

Cruise says he wanted to play alongside the "natural athlete" Blunt after seeing her perform as a ballet dancer in The Adjustment Bureau. He was not disappointed.

"She showed up and that girl was ready to roll, she was so fit," says Cruise. "She is a badass and she totally crushes it here."

Even Cruise needed to train extensively to deal with the visually impressive metal exosuit that allowed for full movement but weighed 85 pounds on average.

"One of the suits with the angel wings had a sniper rifle and missile launcher on my back and weighed about 130 pounds. I'm having to sprint in it," says Cruise, who helped develop the suits. "It's physically grueling."

In early days, the suit took as much as 20 minutes to even get into before the film team fine-tuned the design ("in the end we timed it and to get me into the suit took 30 seconds," says Cruise). And actors even had specially made rigs on set to take the weight off their shoulders between takes.

Despite the physical demands, the futuristic apparel was striking enough to set the fights and stunts around "what worked and what looked cool with the suits," says Cruise.

The 51-year-old actor, whose last film Oblivion was set in Earth's future, insists he didn't mean to go on a sci-fi action bender.

"Look, I make all different kinds of movies," he says. "When Doug (Liman) came to me and said what the story was and the design, I thought, 'This is going to be cool. It's going to be very different than anything I've done before.'"

Edge of Tomorrow Poster

(click to enlarge)
11327514334_98655b470e_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Feels very much like Source Code meets Starship Troopers.Or a sequel (prequel?) to Oblivion. But as I enjoyed that ,there's plenty to look forward to here. Most particularly because of Emily Blunt. Always greatly liked her since The Adjustment Bureau and she looks even better as an alien ass kicking machine soldier.

I'm all over this one.

Yeah me too - I think this is going to be good!

- - - Updated - - -

Feels very much like Source Code meets Starship Troopers.Or a sequel (prequel?) to Oblivion. But as I enjoyed that ,there's plenty to look forward to here. Most particularly because of Emily Blunt. Always greatly liked her since The Adjustment Bureau and she looks even better as an alien ass kicking machine soldier.

Source code COULD have been great, but was just dumb and fell short on delivering a really good story. Hopefully this one improves on that!

I wish hollywood would come up with better looking exoskeletons. This one and the one from Elysium off no protection to the wearer. Anyone else notice that the title sounds like a 50s scifi radio show title?

Edge of Tomorrow does sound like an old radio serial or old comic book.

The exosuits are a bit odd, but according to the current military, it's the direction we're heading in regardless. It's wishful thinking that they would cover Soldiers head to toe in ballistics type armor. I feel special getting elbow and knee pads along with side plates.

What's with the swords though? Looks very Warhammer 40k'ish

Well another 50-100 years they'll have full suits exo suits but i'd be worried having to run around with stuff like that wired to me lol. Well we all know Tom Cruise is a robot anyhow or at least his acting is lol.

Sure he's a nutball, but I've found him phenomenally entertaining over the years. Probably more so in the latter half of his career.

The "exo skeletons" are primarily designed to give additional strength to the limbs to carry the heavy weaponry,absorb shock and recoil and strike more powerful blows and move more speedily. The darker clothing worn beneath is supposed to be based on a nanofibre weave that is similar to Kevlar but far stronger, like body armor today. Protection to the skull and abdomen covered with helmet and plate. Ultimately its all completely daft anyway, nothing is going to stop even WWII 20mm or 30mm shells, not even complete body armor, but IT ALL LOOKS great on the screen because that's how the future of warfare used to look. Now its all going to be the Drone Wars and remote precision strikes (except for urban incursions). At least these aren't screwed into skeletal bones like "Elysium". I still like the look and feel of it even if it reminds me of just about every other sci fi invasion movie I've seen in the last twenty years.

I know I signed an NDA at the advanced screening but I gotta chime in on this. You know how you go to these screenings and they say it's an early cut of the film and the effects arent finished? This is the first time I have ever seen a movie with less then 10% of it's effects done - AND I LOVED IT!!! I cannot say enough about this film, I usually hate Cruise, but after oblivion I guess I was willing to give him a chance, then I see this and I can't believe how good he is in this. The aliens are different looking, although I'm sure people will draw negative comparisons, but I think as intelligent action films go, this one is really quite good. As to the Exo-suits, I actually had no interest in them, now I'm pissed I missed the exhibit at comic con, I want to make one of these, yes they are clunky, yes they look low tech, but damn do they grow on you. Oh and you're gonna LOVE Bill paxton in this, funny as hell.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back