Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Post-release)

Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Dawn, as in Dawning of a new age.

Rise was an amazing movie, very gripping and emotional. Comparing it to something from 40+ years ago is unfair to someone who hasn't seen it because you're bringing in sentimental value which carries bias in its reasoning. "It'll never be the original." Of course it won't. You have to let go of that stuff or you won't be able to enjoy the new stuff.

I wonder if they'll continue the story from the end of the first movie or move it on a few years. It would be interesting to see a story where the Apes and Humans try to coexist but the eventual domination of Humankind ends the movie.

And please, no time-traveling astronauts. It was hinted at in Rise but i'd rather they dropped that angle.

I wonder if they'll continue the story from the end of the first movie or move it on a few years. It would be interesting to see a story where the Apes and Humans try to coexist but the eventual domination of Humankind ends the movie.

And please, no time-traveling astronauts. It was hinted at in Rise but i'd rather they dropped that angle.

I think that was meant to be a direct tie in to the original so I doubt they'd do it so soon. If anything i think it will show the cohabitation that was hinted at at the end of the one movie where the ape and human kids were together.

Matt Reeves Will Probably Direct DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | Badass Digest
Only seen Cloverfield, I liked it. Still not sure about this choice of director though.

Ugh, I wish they'd find someone else to direct. Not that Cloverfield was all that bad, but I'd think they'd could find someone who's got some more directorial seasoning under their belt. The word "safe" comes to mind versus going with someone that's a bit of an unknown.

I hope he doesn't make it a lost footage make you sick to your stomach unsteady camera movie.

Am I the only one who likes the Burton film?

I did like Rise as well. Nice start to a franchise reboot.

I suppose it's too much to ask that at some point they go back to using real actors and makeup for the apes. I was watching the marathon on AMC yesterday and the Burton one ranked the lowest on Amc.com by fans with a negative 3 next to it. Rise did better than the last 2 of the original movies which isn't a shock. It's not a bad restart to a franchise and John Lithgow did amazingly real as suffering from Alzheimer's.

I think Rick Bakers make up effects were the only good thing about Burtons movie.

To bad fox is switching directors, Wyatt did a fantastic job with Rise.

I suppose it's too much to ask that at some point they go back to using real actors and makeup for the apes...
They did use real actors for the apes--they just covered them with CGI instead of foam rubber and Max Factor. ;)

The issue is that the plot of Rise called for Caesar to look like a *real chimpanzee, and there are simply too many differences between an ape's physique and a human being's physique for them to have used practical makeups. If the storyline of the rebooted franchise movies moves forward in time to a point in which the apes evolve into something more "human-like" they probably could use practical makeups, but would likely stick with CGI for any number of reasons.

*I'm not saying they succeeded with their use of motion-capture and CGI; in fact, I never once believed Caesar or any of the other apes were living, breathing creatures.

They reminded me of the horrible CGI infected from I Am Legend (who were originally going to be actors in makeup) or the vehicles from transformers (the cartoon looked more realistic than the movies).

Hopefully this one does well enough to keep the series alive. I found a timeline for the originals and never realized how much was going on in the POTA universe. Hopefully they can manage that with the new films too but my question is when will they switch from California to NYC like in the originals.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back