Dave Hester Fired from "Storage Wars" - claims show is faked

I have two buddies in Vegas who buy and sell storage unit contents. One of them hit the jackpot with a coin colection and some vintage gambling items. He made enough to pay off his house.

Congrats to your friends....that rarely happens....

there has been some rare occasions while storage wars was filming that other people hit the jackpot.....i think they mention one person recovered a chest filled with pirate gold worth half a million......another found 24,000 dollars with all the faces on the bills cut out...

at another auction non storage wars......they found nic cage stolen action comics #1.....

it happens...but not as often people think it does....

on a personal general note....im not a fan of people buying storage units...they try to make money from people's misfortune...just sad

I'm waiting for the first lawsuit to claim that someone went bankrupt by bidding on storage lockers, and they blame the show for giving them the false illusion that every locker was a successful venture.

I thought it was funny when Brandon and Darrel would ask questions or try to make a joke of which they had either no interest in or know anything about.

I remember seeing the absolute boredom on Brandon's face and in his voice when he asked about the background of a teddy bear. You could just tell he would be doing anything else.

And when Darrell made this Yogi Bear joke, it was like he had no idea what he was even talking about. "I'm smarter than the average bear.... ... boo boo"

I don't have TV, but once in awhile I go to my buddy's house and we have a couple beers and watch Storage Wars. It's a weakness. Totally bummed, but unsurprised, that the good stuff is planted. It's no fun at all to watch now!

Interesting. Is the network paying them based on how well they perform in the auctions though? If not then it doesn't sound to me like the rigging law applies, since it'd just be a case of the network paying them to be filmed doing their jobs. I'm not sure how they'd be able to quantify how much increases business the cast sees is based upon their perceived skill vs just them being on tv and "famous." Based on the article it reads to me like the law only applies to the integrity of the filmed competition, not how the filmed competition affects participants afterwards.

Who knows, maybe when this is all said and done reality shows will be legally obligated to actually depict reality for a change or admit to being scripted.

If anything Hester should be claiming that the editing makes him look like a [feminine hygiene] bag and he's losing business because of his perceived personality rather than his skill at his job. To use his lawyers' own logic clearly his lack of bringing suit against A&E for defamation of character indicates that there's nothing to defame :)

Re: Re: Dave Hester Fired from "Storage Wars" - claims show is faked

Who knows, maybe when this is all said and done reality shows will be legally obligated to actually depict reality for a change or admit to being scripted.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

TymerDC said:
Seems Dave Hester of "Storage Wars" has been fired for blowing the whistle on producers claiming the show is faked......is anyone surprised?
Not at all.... Whistle blowers are quite frowned upon!

I wonder if buying items seen on Storage Wars can be counted as prop collecting? I recently bought some items from "Now and Then" including a trio of Big Boy figures and box of Chakra stone..

The anti-rigging law came from the old Quiz Shows that used to give certain guests the answers ahead of time - how can that apply to Storage Wars?

Here's a good true story - I read a script about 7 years ago based on the true story of this guy who LOVED the show "Press Your Luck" - you know the one where people say "No Whammies No Whammies and stop" after coming down on the button they either win whatever the flashing wheel stops on or a cartoon goon (a whammy) emerges and steals everything they got. Okay, so this guy - Michael - would watch the show constantly - he's sort of a loveable loser type. He records the show while at work then watches the playback when he gets home. He starts to notice that the "random" flashing wheel that decides your prizes is actually rotating in a pattern - so he watches the show in slo-mo and increases the speed as time goes by until he's able to secure the top prize offered every single time. He goes on the show and wipes them out. To this day he's the champ of not just that show but is included in the top 3 winners of all game shows period.

Bill Murray was once attached to the script but it was never made.

Here's the story in case anyone is interested -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFEBCve-3Cw

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, his first push was a whammy (found link with this info so reedited), after that he got the timing down.

Michael Larson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paul Michael Larson[2] (May 10, 1949 – February 17, 1999) was a contestant on the American television game show Press Your Luck in May 1984 that aired on TV in June 1984. Larson won $110,237 in cash and prizes, at the time the largest one-day total ever won on a game show. Larson was able to win by memorizing the patterns used on the Press Your Luck game board.

Michael Larson used his cash winnings for taxes and real estate investments. However, he had other problems, such as getting in trouble with the law and getting involved in illegal schemes. As a result, he lost all of his winnings and decided to migrate to Florida, where he later died of throat cancer at the age of 49. Even after his death in 1999, Larson's game has been re-shown on TV multiple times and has inspired the 2003 GSN documentary Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal.

http://www.damninteresting.com/who-wants-to-be-a-thousandaire/

Last edited:
I summon this thread from the grave! Arise!

I just saw an ad showing he is back on storage wars. I'm on my phone and doing something so I can't check to see what happened with the case.

His YUUUUUUUUUUP made me stop watching it in the first place.

Also, my sister is a manager at a self storage place and I've helped out with auctions before and honestly the thing that most units have in them? Bags of dirty clothes, most often underwear. I'd love to see his face if he opened a bag of dirty undies.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back