Carrie Remake (Post-release)

Didn't they just remake this as a tv movie a few years back or made a sequel or something? Of all the king books they seem to go with the older ones for films. At least the sfx look good at least in the commercials.

Only thing I think will be good is Chloe Moretz...she's been great in everything I've seen her in...

And that publicity stunt would have been over when I smashed through the window and got hit by oncoming traffic:lol

1367496144-golf-clap.gif

Didn't they just remake this as a tv movie a few years back or made a sequel or something? Of all the king books they seem to go with the older ones for films. At least the sfx look good at least in the commercials.

The Rage: Carrie 2 (1999) - IMDb

Carrie (TV Movie 2002) - IMDb

Only thing I think will be good is Chloe Moretz...she's been great in everything I've seen her in...

I dunno, they got Julianne Moore playing Carrie's overbearing, religious nutbag mother. That could be good...

And that publicity stunt would have been over when I smashed through the window and got hit by oncoming traffic:lol

Why do I imagine a scene like this?

daffy-duck-hitting-wall.jpg

Saw this tonight. It was very hit and miss. Overall, better than I expected, but the pivotal scene (you know the one), was not what I had hoped it would be. They just handled it poorly.

The film felt like it moved incredibly quickly and the first quarter or so was a bit oddly paced. The middle going toward the end was actually better than expected.

The climax, as I said, was less than hoped for but not terrible.

There were a few things in the film that felt unnecessarily "Final Destination" in nature, but outside of that, not too terrible of a retelling of Stephen King's great story.

Saw this tonight. It was very hit and miss. Overall, better than I expected, but the pivotal scene (you know the one), was not what I had hoped it would be. They just handled it poorly.

The film felt like it moved incredibly quickly and the first quarter or so was a bit oddly paced. The middle going toward the end was actually better than expected.

The climax, as I said, was less than hoped for but not terrible.

There were a few things in the film that felt unnecessarily "Final Destination" in nature, but outside of that, not too terrible of a retelling of Stephen King's great story.

I'm thinking about going to see this with my daughter, did they add any sex to "modernize" the story or is it just the gore and swearing that gets the R rating?

There is one brief sex scene, but no nudity shown.

There are a couple of somewhat gorey scenes, but nothing over the top. Honestly, I am surprised to hear this was an R rated movie.

There is one small sex scene but nothing is shown, I cam back home after watching it last night and re-watched the original and that has tons of nudity. But the remake was good, I'm gonna have to say that I prefer the original better, has a more creep factor to it, however I do preferrer julianne moore as the mother, great acting!

Added: My wife and I went with our 12 year old daughter just to give you and idea as to adult content FYI...not sure how old your daughter is.

I just got home from watching Carrie. I think Chloe Grace Moretz is already a very solid young actress and she should have a long career ahead of her (she was absolutely brilliant is Let Me In - and pretty darn good in Kick Ass and Hugo). Julianne Moore is generally pretty solid... the story is a classic. But, this movie...

Carrie is generally pretty solid, but it never really pushes anything... it never gets up and goes, it just kinda sits there flat and does things by-the-numbers. It really seemed like the director just didn't know what to do with the movie. It's not a bad movie, but it never tries to be anything more than it is.

Chloe had some great moments - and while she never seemed to be going through the motions, she does seem like she wasn't allowed to do more. Julianne Moore just never really worked at all for me - she seemed to force her performance and I just never bought it.

Again, it's not a bad movie. It's got some great moments - especially from Chloe; The actors playing Tom and Sue weren't bad either - but, I did find their accents distracting. The actress playing Chris was another that seemed like she was trying hard and seemed like there was some talent there, but like Moretz also seemed a bit restrained.

I never got a sense of urgency, I never got a real sense of Carrie's plight or her anger and ultimately the big payoff at the end full a bit flat. I wanted anger to go along with Carrie's confusion (at least Moretz seemed to be showing some confusion during the High School finale)... I wanted to see some anger while it all happened - and there were flashes of it, it just never panned out the way I expected it to. But, maybe it wasn't supposed... maybe Chloe played it exactly as she needed to.

I wanted to love this movie. I did like it, but I am also disappointed because I see where I thought it could've been just so much more.

All that said, I haven't seen the original or read the book... so I don't have that to compare it to.

So, I have a second report to make. I have never seen the original 1976 movie and after seeing Jordu Schell pan the new movie in favor of the original (I was coming the new movie to the book... that I read 20 years ago), I went back and watched the original tonight. Wow. I thought the new movie was ok, but after seeing the original, the new feels pretty darn weak. Like @JD, I really like Chloe and she did have some moments, but she didn't hold a candle to Sissy's original portrayal. Neither perfectly captured Carrie from the book, but Sissy was much more empathetic and the whole film really made you feel for her much more, her joy and her pain and her sorrow. I just don't feel like the new movie ever quite nailed that.

Unlike JD, I think Julian Moore was a much better Mrs White. She plays a nutcase very well and mama White is an absolute nutcase. The original Mrs White... ehhh... I just never felt it.

In watching the original movie I have to think that the remake ONLY looked at the original as a source and never looked at the book at all. It isn't quuite a shot for shot like the Psycho remake, but it is so close that it feels like there was nothing original or new that the remake brought, which I feel is what can make a remake interest.

Anyway, while I liked the new movie, I now like it a little less having seen the original. How is that for weird?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back