Bad Parts of Good Films

laserpistol76

tain669 made a thread about good parts of bad films, so I thought about making one about bad parts of good films.

http://www.therpf.com/f47/good-parts-bad-films-179133/

Ever see a good movie, but wish that one part wasn't that good? Share your thoughts and comments below.

I'll start. ST: TWOK was a well received film my Trekkies, and I thought it was OK, (it's been a while since I've seen it), but I didn't like how Spock died. Sure it's a sacrifice for the crew, but I hate it when they kill off main characters.

Really? It made the ending of the film so memorable to me.

I'm going to go with Ewoks. ROTJ is a great film IMO and I don't really mind them but they do detract from the overall film I think.

tain669 made a thread about good parts of bad films, so I thought about making one about bad parts of good films.

http://www.therpf.com/f47/good-parts-bad-films-179133/

Ever see a good movie, but wish that one part wasn't that good? Share your thoughts and comments below.

I'll start. ST: TWOK was a well received film my Trekkies, and I thought it was OK, (it's been a while since I've seen it), but I didn't like how Spock died. Sure it's a sacrifice for the crew, but I hate it when they kill off main characters.

I thought it was they only way they could get Nimoy to sign up to do the film.

And not that I've bothered to watch the movie, but the damn door was big enough for two people, Rose!!

I hate when they kill main character and then live again in the next sequel. It's a cheap trick to get people attention. Spock, Data, Superman, Batman (well, he is not dead, but broken).
When a character died, just stay dead. No time traveling hocus pocus. It's the consequences that they have to carry. They should've consider it before they actually doing it, otherwise, it'll look like they made a mistake and later on try to make it up. In case of Data, they actually already "prepared" without time travel stuff. But to me, it spelled as "reboot", just because the character is already reached his limit (emotion chip installed and working properly).

Same like TASM suit. Seems Webber already admit he made a mistake on the suit, now he just "copy" Raimi style and added a twist.

I hate when they kill main character and then live again in the next sequel. It's a cheap trick to get people attention. Spock, Data, Superman, Batman (well, he is not dead, but broken).
When a character died, just stay dead. No time traveling hocus pocus. It's the consequences that they have to carry. They should've consider it before they actually doing it, otherwise, it'll look like they made a mistake and later on try to make it up. In case of Data, they actually already "prepared" without time travel stuff. But to me, it spelled as "reboot", just because the character is already reached his limit (emotion chip installed and working properly).

Same like TASM suit. Seems Webber already admit he made a mistake on the suit, now he just "copy" Raimi style and added a twist.

To be fair, Leonard Nimoy REALLY wanted Spock to die, but when the movie was released, there was an enormous fan outrage, so they HAD to bring him back.

I thought it was they only way they could get Nimoy to sign up to do the film.

Actually a false rumor. It was never in his contract.

To be fair, Leonard Nimoy REALLY wanted Spock to die, but when the movie was released, there was an enormous fan outrage, so they HAD to bring him back.

Jury's still out on this one from what I've heard. Apparently Nimoy intentionally wanted the loophole left open should there be a sequel. Before TWOK was released few though the Trek films would continue as TMP wasn't the success they had hoped for.

I think the plan was that if the series ended there Spock would have died. If it continued he'd be brought back.

I saw the extended cut of Conan (arnie's) recently. The added scene of Conan talking nostalgically about walking in the mountain forest with his father, while he's preparing for the final battle made me puke a bit:sick. It was out of character for Conan, broke up the pacing of the battle prep, and was beyond Arnold's acting ability at the time LOL
The princess "distracting" the guard was cool :cool, but her "bowing" to Conan at the end seemed really tacked on :thumbsdown
When I get the BR I hope the theatrical release is available :popcorn:D
(I miss the popcorn and lol guys :cry)
I'd love to get a replica of the "Eye of the Serpent"
attachment.php

LOL when I search google for an image to post the 1st listing was an old thread here! LOL I love the RPF! :p

Nimoy wanted a directing career, and they let him direct his first film if he brought back Spock in it.

My entry:

It isn't a BAD part, just not the strongest part of an excellent film.

The end of the bar scene between Indy and Belloq in Raiders. The discussion is excellent. It's just the very end when Indy is "saved" by the children. It's missing a couple of dramatic beats of "oh, crap" BEFORE the kids come in. Also missing closeups of Indy and Belloq realizing he's gonna get away again. And a shot of a thug being charmed by the kids and putting away his gun. It just happens all at once in a master and it's like "whaa?"

Then all the thugs come out and just stand, smiling, while Indy and Sallah load the kids into his truck. Just weird and awkward.

Last edited:
I know there's a lot wrong with the first X-Men film, but one big thing that always annoyed me was some of the dialogue when the characters were naming mutants... like when Logan asks "What's a Magneto?" and Xavier respons "A very powerful mutant." It just sounds so forced and unnatural.

Also, when Toad eats the bird in front of Senator Kelley, and Kelley goes "EEEYECHHHH!" How do you even let a take like that get into the film?

I don't think we even need to mention the Lightning joke... :facepalm

When I get the BR I hope the theatrical release is available

I have the Bluray- the ending is still the same as the special edition (honestly I actually prefer this version myself), however the scene of Conan talking about picking wild blueberries with his daddy has been removed.

So my little nitpick that has driven me crazy...

Star Trek: First Contact- Data double crosses the Borg Queen (who subsequently screams "DATA!!!!" )...

His response to the Queen of "Resistance is futile" is SUCH a missed opprtunity; the line should have been "Resistance is NOT futile!"

For me that would have been much more powerful than simply using the Borg's signature line against them.

Kevin

I know there's a lot wrong with the first X-Men film, but one big thing that always annoyed me was some of the dialogue when the characters were naming mutants... like when Logan asks "What's a Magneto?" and Xavier respons "A very powerful mutant." It just sounds so forced and unnatural.

Also, when Toad eats the bird in front of Senator Kelley, and Kelley goes "EEEYECHHHH!" How do you even let a take like that get into the film?

I don't think we even need to mention the Lightning joke... :facepalm

I'm not sure i even blame the writers for that, i think if they'd had a good director they'd been okay. I cringe at him coming back for the new one.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back