This is it! This is the big one you’ve been waiting for!!! Exactly twenty five years to the day since Marty McFly first sped off in Doc Brown’s suped-up DeLorean Time Machine in the parking lot of the Twin Pines Mall towards 1955, Universal Studios Home Entertainment (USHE) will release the 25th Anniversary Back to the Future Trilogy Boxed Set on DVD — and for the very first time on Blu-ray Disc — Tuesday, October 26, 2010!
This highly anticipated 25th Anniversary collection features all-new restorations for enhanced picture quality and hours of bonus features including new interviews with the cast and crew.
In an exclusive interview with BTTF.com, Back to the Future Writer/Producer Bob Gale gave us a sneak peek into what we can expect from these brand new features, including one specific item which fans have waited 25 years for a glimpse at.
We caught up with Bob last weekend at the 2010 DeLorean Car Show in Lexington, Kentucky to get his thoughts on the new Hi-Def transfers of the films. “The HD transfers for all three films are simply breath-taking,” Gale told BTTF.com. “They actually look better than they did in the theater because of the incredible job that was done on dirt clean-up. (And the film grain is preserved, so they still look like movies should look.) And hearing the sound in full dynamic range is — okay, I’ll say it — a blast!”
He went on to describe the new documentaries, one of which is called Tales from the Future. “I’m sure fans will enjoy the new documentaries, which include interviews with cast and crew members who — for budgetary reasons — were left out of the 2002 documentaries,” he explained. “So there are some stories and anecdotes told on camera for the first time. And since everyone wants to know, there are three very brief snippets of Eric Stoltz incorporated into one of the documentaries.” You heard it here first — finally, film footage of Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly!!
Finally, Bob gave us a description of just some of the remaining bonus features which to expect. “We’ve included an animatic storyboard of the nuclear test site sequence from the early drafts of Part 1; the galleries of stills and artwork have been rescanned at a higher resolution, and we’ve included just about everything from the previous releases as well.”
o Setups & Payoffs: Note key scenes and see how they play out as you watch the movies.
o Storyboard Comparison: Compare key scenes in the movie with the original storyboards.
o Trivia Track: Get inside trivia and facts while you watch the movies.
* Pocket BLU: Experience Blu-ray in an exciting new way with the app for iPhone, iPod touch, BlackBerry, Android and more.
* BD-Live: Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player and download even more bonus content, the latest trailers and more.
* My Scenes: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movies.
* Tales from the Future: 6-part retrospective documentary featuring all-new interviews with Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Director Robert Zemeckis, Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton plus Executive Producer Steven Spielberg.
o In the Beginning...
o Time to Go
o Keeping Time
o Time Flies
o Third Times the Charm
o The Test of Time
* The Physics of Back to the Future
* 16 Deleted Scenes
* Michael J. Fox Q&A
* Archival Featurettes
o Making The Trilogy: Chapters One, Two & Three
o The Making of Back to the Future Parts I, II & III
o The Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy
* Original Makeup Tests
* Nuclear Test Site Ending Storyboard Sequence
* Production Design
* Designing the DeLeorean
* Designing Time Travel
* Hoverboard Test
* Designing Hill Valley
* Designing the Campaign
* Photo Galleries Including Production Art, Additional Storyboards, Behind-the-Scenes Photographs, Marketing Materials and Character Portraits
* Back to the Future: The Ride
* Music Videos
o "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News
o "Doubleback" by ZZ Top
* Q&A Commentaries with Director Robert Zemeckis and Producer Bob Gale
* Feature Commentaries with Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton
* And More!