Subscribe
  1. Superglued fingers RPF Premium Member Knightjar's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Mar 7, 2012, 2:12 PM - An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #1

Apologies if this is a repost- you try searching this board for 'Star Wars' threads!

This actually makes a lot of sense (big read though)...
    The new correct order for watching the Star Wars series (IV, V, II, III, VI) via reddit.com
  2. RPF Premium Member Bootlegger137's Avatar
    Mar 7, 2012, 2:21 PM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #2

Interesting concept. Seems to make a degree or 2 of sense. Thanks for sharing that.

Now...let the debate rage...
    From
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Mar 7, 2012, 2:53 PM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #3

On paper the Machete Order sounds very plausible and kind of exciting, but watching in that order after seeing all the films in release order, won't change my feelings much.
    From
    South East
    Mar 7, 2012, 5:23 PM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #4

i prefer the "Prequels dont F***ing Exist" order
  5. RPF Premium Member darthwhitey's Avatar
    From
    Indiana, USA
    Mar 8, 2012, 9:16 AM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #5

Interesting idea. I'd like to try it.

I'm not saying anything new, but it's just a shame that George couldn't give us three movies that lived up to the first three so we wouldn't have to come up with things like this.
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Mar 8, 2012, 9:33 AM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #6

I think it's brilliant and can't wait to try this order. All of his arguments make perfect sense. I actually felt myself getting kind of excited about the whole idea. And I haven't been excited by SW in a looooong time. A long time.
    From
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Mar 8, 2012, 9:47 AM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #7

DavidS said: View Post

Haha,
    From
    Germany
    Mar 8, 2012, 11:11 AM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #8

I think that exact order was recommended in a thread here in the OT one day after ROTS had hit the theaters ...
    From
    Canada
    Mar 8, 2012, 11:19 AM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #9

So... am I understanding this correctly that the only real reason to view the films in this jumbled order is that Lucas stuck Hayden Christensen's ghost at the end of ROTJ?

I mean... I get treating the prequels as a "flashback", but a four hour flashback?

Kevin
    Mar 8, 2012, 11:20 AM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #10

DavidS said: View Post
    Careful. That kind of talk ain't tolerated 'round these parts...

cayman shen said: View Post
    I think it's brilliant and can't wait to try this order. All of his arguments make perfect sense. I actually felt myself getting kind of excited about the whole idea. And I haven't been excited by SW in a looooong time. A long time.
    I actually had a similar reaction of "Neat! That might actually be kinda cool. Or at least not as bad." It's an interesting narrative approach, anyway.
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Mar 8, 2012, 11:39 AM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #11

SSgt Burton said: View Post
    So... am I understanding this correctly that the only real reason to view the films in this jumbled order is that Lucas stuck Hayden Christensen's ghost at the end of ROTJ?

I mean... I get treating the prequels as a "flashback", but a four hour flashback?

Kevin
    Nah, I don't think that's the only reason (although it makes Hayden's ghost in the ROTJ SE less awful). It's more about putting weaker films where they'll be more effective: immediately showing Anakin's fall after Vader's reveal, rather than spoling it by watching the films in order. Its like the Paris bit in Casablanca

I wonder if it works better with the SE (since if you shuffle them together, the tonal shift would be jarring). Or if you use the OOT, the PT looks even more "idealized fairytale" in comparison. Mmmmmm.
  12. RPF Contest Coordinator Michael Bergeron's Avatar
    From
    Everybody's lost but me!
    Mar 8, 2012, 4:00 PM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #12

He makes some very valid points.

This order avoids spoiling the big moments of the films and puts things in better context for someone new coming in.

Still though, I'm glad I saw them the way I did. There was a time when I was happy to say that there wasn't such thing as a bad Star Wars movie. (Some would argue that but I enjoy all three of the originals)
    Mar 8, 2012, 4:15 PM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #13

4, 5, 6.

That is all.
    Mar 8, 2012, 8:51 PM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #14

That...actually works! I think it may sound strange but if you do it that way and remake Ep 1 you could call it a complete series.

You could also fill in/fix some of the holes in one,like having Sidous mention Maul's death is a surprise but he has another to take his place (for now) and maybe make Anakin a bit older,say ten or eleven and maybe a a bit meaner and less "cute" you could also make the intro to Ep.1 an older Luke going through files to see just what happened and how his father became Vader.

Hrm...Lucas maybe needs to read this.
  15. RPF Premium Member Bootlegger137's Avatar
    Mar 8, 2012, 9:02 PM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #15

I shared that story around the workplace today, and it got very positive feedback from the "slightly more than casual, but not fanatic nor apathetic" Star Wars fans.
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Mar 8, 2012, 9:17 PM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #16

This also allows Lucas to market a new boxed set.
    Mar 9, 2012, 8:57 AM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #17

Kerr Avon said: View Post
    4, 5, 6.

That is all.

Beat me to it!
  18. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Mar 9, 2012, 6:44 PM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #18

I'll stick to my order.

IV, V, VI

That is all.
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    Mar 9, 2012, 10:21 PM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #19

4, 5, 6.

That is all.
    Not for me, Kerr. I'm not a prequel hater, they're kinda cool for what they are--especially III--but they ain't 'Star Wars' in my eyes.

But neither is VI. So my order is...

IV, V.

That is all.

The Wook
    From
    Herald, Kalifornia
    Mar 10, 2012, 9:37 AM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #20

No one orders me to do anything, alternative or otherwise!
    From
    East Riding of Yorkshire...originally from Glasgow!
    Mar 10, 2012, 10:11 AM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #21

4, 5, 6.

That is all.
    My thoughts exactly!

Rich
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Mar 11, 2012, 6:13 PM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #22

Oh man, in addition to losing midi-chlorians, skipping TPM gets rid of that stupid Sith rule of two. Seriously, this order is full of win.
    Mar 12, 2012, 8:56 AM - Re: An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels #23

I posted this on another forum a couple weeks ago and got mostly positive feedback! Like a couple guys here, I used to be a hardcore SW fan but my interest dwindled more and more with each prequel, until finally I hardly considered myself a fan at all anymore!

That's why I was fortunate enough to find this so-called 'Machete Order'. It actually got me excited about Star Wars for the first time in a few years!
    * It ignores Episode 1, which was my least favorite (and the guy has a point- it literally brings NOTHING to the series. Nothing but trouble, lol) .
    * It makes II & III more relevant, because we've just found out about Vader and we're more interested in just what the hell happened to make a guy turn into 'that'.
    * It makes total sense to have a big gap between V & VI- V ended with a hell of a cliffhanger, and not finding out how they resolve everything REALLY ups the stakes when you finally get to VI!
    * This guy is so on the ball-- when we get to VI, the first time we see Luke, he's already much more like Vader than the Luke we had known-- I never even put my finger on that before-- this order literally makes ROTJ a BETTER movie! And the perfect ending the the series as a whole