Aliens: Colonial Marines

Sean Hebein

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Trailer for this game is up. Man it has been in development for years so it is nice to see that Gearbox is doing something with it. If you go here:

CONNECTED TO TERMINAL

enter "FATHER" as the host name, you can see an extended trailer with like 5-8 seconds of gameplay.

I am bummed that it isn't going to be released until 2012, but at least that is going somewhere.

Who is up for some coop in a year?

This game is giving Duke Nuke 'Em a run for the game longest in development. I remember this being talked about back on the original playstation, then the PS2 and now PS3 etc. It looks awesome and I am ALWAYS up for some alien shooting fun but I will believe it when I physically have it in my hand at this point.

I have high hopes for this one because at least we have some footage rendered by the actual game engine. Plus Gearbox was successful at getting Duke Nukem out of development hell so I remain optimistic. :)

its not floating my boat so far, i liked the idea of the marines section in avp, but the gameplay was awful - used to take 2 clips to kill just 1 alien by which time 2 more had come along and killed me - frustrating game and i didnt like it - if they get the gameply right itll be ok but the genres been done once in avp - once bitten twice shy imo

time to be a little more original rather than relying on an old formula. someone should go back and have the films played as a game, drive the apc, fly the dropship and land it, find newt, kill and battle the queen - base it on the film with some little twists. a game with a james horner soundtrack blasting away really would wow me

I'm not getting it. Are they supposed to be going to the LV-426 facility that was blown to smithereens by the atmosphere processing plant impersonating a nuke?

I'm not getting it. Are they supposed to be going to the LV-426 facility that was blown to smithereens by the atmosphere processing plant impersonating a nuke?

Well, the atmospheric processor was *some* distance away from the main colony complex. Not hard to imagine the main structure intact even though most of the outer areas would be in shambles.

I KNOW for a fact that the explosion didn't reach the Derelict.

And on another note, give this game some credit. IT'S DISCOUNTING ALIEN3! That alone sparks my interest to the 10th level!

Well, the atmospheric processor was *some* distance away from the main colony complex. Not hard to imagine the main structure intact even though most of the outer areas would be in shambles.

I have trouble believing the colony would survive a "40 megaton explosion" "the size of Nebraska."

But aside from this suspension of disbelief, where would the warrior aliens (in this game) come from?

All of the humans and warriors left on the planet would have been killed by the explosion. There would be no hosts to create new warriors. The Derelict only contains eggs.

Just saying.

I KNOW for a fact that the explosion didn't reach the Derelict.

"For a fact"? Did we ever "see" the unaffected Derelict?

I agree that the Derelict was "probably" far enough away to be outside the blast range AND it was on the opposite side of a mountain range in relation to the location of the colony (thereby offering more protection from the blast)...

But "For a fact"? If it wasn't depicted in the film or script it isn't a "fact."

Don't get me wrong; I wrote a short story about "going back to LV-426" and the Derelict still being there.

However having said all that- I still loves me some USCM action! :)

Kevin

There are obviously some weird continuity issues with it. Why is the Sulaco still orbiting LV-426, shouldn't it be orbiting Fury 161.

Obviously, it is hard to say where the game is going yet. I really like Gearbox as a developer studio though. I will say that when I saw Sega's name attached to it I was a little disheartened because the new AVP game sucked IMO. But I think that Gearbox is going to do some good stuff with this one, at least I hope.

Continuity aside, I am really excited to have 4 man team play going through the campaign. Couldn't do that in AVP.

i
someone should go back and have the films played as a game, drive the apc, fly the dropship and land it, find newt, kill and battle the queen - base it on the film with some little twists. a game with a james horner soundtrack blasting away really would wow me

This would be awesome if they could get the original actors to voice their parts. Flying the drop ship and driving APC would be epic! The part of the movie where the Marines are ambushed when they first discover the Aliens would be freaking insane to play!

I have trouble believing the colony would survive a "40 megaton explosion" "the size of Nebraska."

Well, Bishop said the result would leave a cloud of vapor the size of Nebraska, not a crater the size of Nebraska. Plus, it's the FUTURE! That colony wasn't built of wood, rocks and timber. If it can survive the harsh winds of LV426 for over 20 years, I think there might be something left if an explosion were to occur.

Hebinator said:
There are obviously some weird continuity issues with it. Why is the Sulaco still orbiting LV-426, shouldn't it be orbiting Fury 161.

*Something* must have brought it back!

:eek

Last Aliens game DID suck. The first animation of the Alien rising to stand on its feet already looks better than what I saw in the last game. Hoping this doesn't suck...

I think I read somewhere way back when the game was first announced that it would partly take place on the abandoned Sulaco "in orbit around Fury 161" or words to that effect.
It also stated the Syd Mead was back to design previously unseen parts of the ship. If I can find the original article I'll post a link.

Also, from Wikipedia:
"The story of Aliens: Colonial Marines is being written by Battlestar Galactica writers Bradley Thompson and David Weddle. The events of the game are set after those of the film Alien 3. A Colonial Marine search and rescue team has been sent to investigate the U.S.S. Sulaco in search of Ellen Ripley, Corporal Dwayne Hicks, and the rest of the missing marines who were dispatched to LV-426. The Sulaco, LV-426, and the derelict alien spacecraft from Alien all serve as environments in the game, as well as other locations yet to be detailed."

Jeyl - are you sure they discount Alien 3? Really hope they do!

Hmm.

> EXECUTE TRAILER DIAGNOSTICS

Sgt. Cruz: So where the hell are they private?

Private: Don't know. It could take us days to sift(?) through this much data. And that just tells us who made it back to the cryo tubes. Better off doing it the old fashion way like when we found the synthetic.

Sgt. Cruz: You found the synthetic?

Private: We found found half the synthetic, sir.

Sgt. Cruz: ***** Mary, we had two civies on that boat.

Private: Yes, sir. One Ellen Ripley and Carter J Burke. Ripley has the last two entries both entering and exiting a cryo tube. Did I mention the half we found were his legs?

Sgt. Cruz: Well, somebody blew the atmospheric processor in Hadley's Hope private.

Private: Sir, with do respect, we ain't getting anything else out of this computer.

Sgt. Cruz: Private, are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting?

Private: Yeah. We go in.

END OF LINE

That line "Ripley has the last two entries both entering and exiting a cryo tube." is what sticks out the most. Since this report tells us who made it back to the cryo tubes, I can only assume that after Aliens, Ripley for some reason got out of her cryo tube in order to do... something.

And here's what the mission report details.

L1: LT. [A:CM SGT. CRUZ]
L2: BOARD SULACO
L3: RECON LV-426
L4: REPORT FINDINGS

Given the nature of their investigation of the Sulaco, would it not be a reasonable conclusion that the opening of Alien3 didn't happen? After all, if this game really is going to acknowledge Alien3, wouldn't the Marines know about the Sulaco since Bishop stated "The company knows everything about what happened to the ship". I don't see or hear any mentioning of an EEV ejection or reports of a fire onboard the Sulaco when the Private is giving his report.

But if Randy's tweets are serious, than this could be an "in-between" story.

:eek

Shoot, man. That would be such a gawddang waste.

When this first was announced it was supposed to answer some of the questions brought up from the start of alien 3. Like how the egg got on the sulaco etc. So if Ripley entered and exited a tube I can see how this could still tie in to the timeline correctly.

After ALIENS she knows the company is out to screw her and kill anyone in the way to get their hands on an alien. After she kills the queen and gets everyone else tucked in she knows they are going to be pissed about blowing up Hadley's hope so she gets out of the tube to screw with the Sulaco's beacon so they cant be tracked as easily. (The ALIENS tech manual mentions that the Sulaco disappeared after what happened on Hadley's Hope and was made into a ghost ship legend by the marines.)

Ripley does whatever she was going to do and the new marines show up. They have already checked out the planet and whatever else they were doing in this game and had brought back some aliens and an egg or two with them for research. The bugs escape, mayhem ensues, the marines get whacked killing them off. Ripley is again thee lone survivor, thinking she is A-OK she goes back into the tube not seeing the last egg tucked away which opens on the start of Alien3.

When this first was announced it was supposed to answer some of the questions brought up from the start of alien 3. Like how the egg got on the sulaco etc. So if Ripley entered and exited a tube I can see how this could still tie in to the timeline correctly.

.........Umm.....

I hope in the name of all that's holy that this isn't the case. Alien3 is just a mess, both the movie itself and those involved with it. David Fincher disowns it, the crew don't look back on it fondly, the fans were disappointed, Michael Biehn vocally trashes it, Alan Dean Foster tried to fix it but was forbidden to do so and even James Cameron pi***d on it as his sign off for the ALIENS commentary track.

Alien3 is *broken*. First we had to have a comic that tried to fix the continuity errors, than we had Charles and his creative team do the same with the BluRay menus. This means that this game could be fix attempt #3. Three attempts to fix Alien3. The Nostromo was easier to fix! Both in movie and out!

Parker: Walk in the park! We fix something, it stays fix. Don't we, Brett baby!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back