After Earth (Post-release)

Like the 1st post under that article, its a stretch, very basic comparison and open to the author's interpretation IMO.

...here is another article on the Scientology/After Earth connection:

After Earth: Will Smith's Paean to Scientology -- Vulture

Just saying.

Another moron ripe for lobotimization.

The enemy does not "feed on fear" That's crap. There's an alien race that sent killer genetically engineered monsters to kill humans, and it hunts by scent and smelling the pheromones released when a person is afraid.

The characters do not purge emotions. They simply learn to recognize that 'fear is the mind killer' You know, like what they did in Dune which isn't called a 'love letter to Scientology'. His father is QUITE emotional. In fact, he's pissed as his own son for letting his daughter be killed by an Ursa instead of fighting it when he was a child. That event has kept them distant for years. The ONLY creature in the movie that tracks by fear is the Ursa and only actually shows up in the last 10 minutes of the film. All before that, the son is afraid and fighting other critters on Earth that evolved to be extremely aggressive.

If they are saying a son forgiving his father and vice versa is an 'audit' then the writer of that article can go **** himself with a ball of razor wire. He's just trying to tear up Scientology instead of focusing on his job which is reviewing a movie.

As for the 'level up' part, is every single movie with a boot camp section in the movie also a 'love letter to Scientology' Yup, I always knew that "Full Metal Jacket" was suspicious.

So don't give that piece of ****, hack of a writer and movie reviewer any credit for anything. He's a moron. Straight up, grade a, ****ing moron.

And for the record I think Scientology is one of the biggest scams in the history of the world.

To be fair nearly all the movie critics these days are hacks with an agenda. There are no even remotely fair critics like there used to be.

I won't be seeing this because I agree with the sentiment that it seems Will Smith is forcing his kids (well, the 2 from Jada) down our throats. I used to like Will Smith but it seems his agenda is to make his kids stars. Any movie where Jaden has had a significant role, his father was a Producer and all but The Pursuit of Happyness, Jada his mother was a producer as well.

Will going into his third decade in the spotlight, and with the oppurtunity to pass the torch why wouldnt he? If I was that famous I would do everything I could to boost my kids career. Its his son afterall that kid is everything to him. And the kid can act so its really not alot to roll your eyes about if hes in a movie. Speaking of, just saw oz the great and powerful and man mila kunis cannot act. Good thing for her shes smokin.lol

:lol Based on past posts I seriously doubt Kerr is a scientologist :lol I haven't seen the movie so thanks for clearing up the film points Kerr :thumbsup

I'm sorry but this movie was bad not like "Super Bad" Bad but like it sucked bad, the ships interior looked like it was made with cardboard and clear painters plastic for covering furniture, even the seatbelts they used looked so flimsy and lets not get started on Will Smith's acting in this film save your money and buy a six pack that's always a winner Lol.

I'm on the same boat as many others about Will, acting and his kids. A movie with a father and son, playing a father and son makes me feel uncertain. It's a little redundant. I guess there is potential, with such a personal connection, but makes it me wonder if its supposed to make the characters relationship in the movie stronger or just a cover for acting talent. I'm not rushing to the theater any time soon for this movie.

It could be worse.... his daughter could have also been in it and had a "hair whip" skill that she used to defend herself from the creatures on the planet.

:p

Sham-Sham-Shamalongadingdong, cue the corn dance video/gif...

I'll never watch another film made by him... or the Will Smith family entourage...(n)sick

Will going into his third decade in the spotlight, and with the oppurtunity to pass the torch why wouldnt he? If I was that famous I would do everything I could to boost my kids career. Its his son afterall that kid is everything to him. And the kid can act so its really not alot to roll your eyes about if hes in a movie. Speaking of, just saw oz the great and powerful and man mila kunis cannot act. Good thing for her shes smokin.lol

I feel the best actor for the job should be chosen, not mommy and daddy throwing their weight and money around to put their son in a movie. Their daughter has no talent, and Jaden's acting is good at it's best, which in my opinion is rare. He's inconsistent and mediocre. Acting is like beauty, it's subjective. And maybe having previously been in the industry I tend to be overly critical and over analyze, but I stand by my assertion. People gripe about Nicholas Cage and how he probably wouldn't have ever made it if it hadn't been for his Uncle, yet this to me is a more blatant and obvious instance of "who you know". And you say so what, Hollywood has already got enough mediocre actors taking up roles, why not let some fresh good talent in instead of force feeding us some big star's mediocre kid who hasn't paid his dues. If you're ok with this, then you're probably ok with getting passed over for promotions by the rich son or nephew who doesn't put in any time or work and just showed up. There are plenty of actors in Hollywood who changed their names and refused to get help or use their parent's names when they got in the biz. Because they wanted to earn it and show everyone they had the drive to do it on their own. Unlike some spoiled kid who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I don't see how anyone cannot see what's wrong with that.

Pretty strong stuff Kerr.

I read your last sentence but one has to wonder why such a personal investment?

Because as I see it, if you're tearing a movie apart because of the actor's religion, even when it's Scientology, then it's no different if you rip it apart because the actor is Jewish, Christian, or whatever. That's wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

Tear a movie apart for it's own merits or flaws, not outside and irrelevant issues such as the actor's religion.

- - - Updated - - -

In Jaden Smith's defense...he learned how to spin the bo-staff blade, thingy...

I actually liked the kid in the "Kung Fu Kid" a few years back. I'd have thought his acting would have gotten better, not worse.

I feel the best actor for the job should be chosen, not mommy and daddy throwing their weight and money around to put their son in a movie. Their daughter has no talent, and Jaden's acting is good at it's best, which in my opinion is rare. He's inconsistent and mediocre. Acting is like beauty, it's subjective. And maybe having previously been in the industry I tend to be overly critical and over analyze, but I stand by my assertion. People gripe about Nicholas Cage and how he probably wouldn't have ever made it if it hadn't been for his Uncle, yet this to me is a more blatant and obvious instance of "who you know". And you say so what, Hollywood has already got enough mediocre actors taking up roles, why not let some fresh good talent in instead of force feeding us some big star's mediocre kid who hasn't paid his dues. If you're ok with this, then you're probably ok with getting passed over for promotions by the rich son or nephew who doesn't put in any time or work and just showed up. There are plenty of actors in Hollywood who changed their names and refused to get help or use their parent's names when they got in the biz. Because they wanted to earn it and show everyone they had the drive to do it on their own. Unlike some spoiled kid who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I don't see how anyone cannot see what's wrong with that.
I see your point, but thats the unfortunate way the world works. I have no doubt the kid would never be famous w/o his dad. Its all about who you know. If its like that at my job im sure cut throat hollywood is wayyy worse. Lol

:lol Why do people think Will is "force feeding" them his kid, or the less attractive "forcing his kid down our throats". Nobody is forced to watch this or any other movie, if you don't like the Smiths, then don't see movies that feature them. Its a pretty simple solution really. ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back