300 Rise of an Empire (Post-release)

Soulinertia

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
1st images:

300roae1.jpg

300roae2.jpg

300roae3.jpg

My only hope is that it's soo extremely violent it makes headlines.

Wow was I wrong! I just assumed it was a prequel because I knew I knew the film was going cover some of the backstory of Xerxes, and explain how he became "the God King"

You guys... Your soo 2012...

It's a SIDEquel...

DUH!!! :rolleyes

Wow was I wrong! I just assumed it was a prequel because I knew I knew the film was going cover some of the backstory of Xerxes, and explain how he became "the God King"

Sort of a sequel if you want to call it that. But, technically neither prequel nor sequel if you go by the historical facts. It's based on the Battle of Artemesium. Which happened at the same time as the Battle of Thermopylae as depicted in 300.

Yep. Nailed it.

Hope it is good. Has not had much hype to date.

From USA Today:

Sparta's warriors may have waged fierce land battles in the 2006 box-office hit 300, but they hadn't even gotten their feet wet yet.

In the parallel film 300: Rise of an Empire (out Aug. 2), which takes place at about the same time as its predecessor, Greek general Themistokles (Sullivan Stapleton) and his common-man troops fight the rest of the Persian army at sea.

The aquatic setting allows for a completely new dynamic — even if both films take their stylized look from the original graphic novel by Frank Miller.

Empire "is tied visually to the original,'' says director Noam Murro, but with so much happening within small boats, "there is a whole different choreography of fighting and war.''

The sea battle also allows the scale of the movie to change. The first 300 took place primarily on a narrow pass known as the "Hot Gates," where the Spartans sought tactical advantage due to their significantly smaller numbers. But Empire "happens over time in many different locations," says Murro. "The opportunities for the six distinct battles are even greater with different locations and tactics.''

The David-vs.-Goliath theme remains intact, however.

"The few against the many is still here," says Murro. "It's hundreds vs. hundreds of thousands. It's about taking on the mightiest power of all with wisdom and tactics."

In this case, the mightiest power is primarily led by Artemesia (Eva Green), the vengeful commander of the Persian navy, who is second in command to the mortal-turned-god leader Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro). She has the added incentive of seeking to settle a blood score against the Greeks who killed her family when she was a child.

"She does most of Xerxes' dirty work in this film. She's seeking revenge, and she does it well," says Stapleton. "She's a force to be reckoned with."

Amen, says Murro: "She's got sex appeal, she's ruthless and conniving. All the things that kill men. And she has a sword. I wouldn't mess with her."

Zack Snyder, who directed the 2006 film, co-wrote the screenplay for Rise of an Empire and incorporated thematic differences on everything from the hero-general to the people he leads. Themistokles is a more complicated leader than the original's Spartan King Leonidas (Gerard Butler).

"Themistokles is battle-scarred and a warrior, but at the same time he's a politician," says Murro. "He's not the king. He has to rule in a democracy. It's a different complexity of character."

His fighting men — drawn from humble citizenry —— are not the born-and-bred fighters that the Spartans are either.

"These people don't want to fight, they even say that they are not Spartans," says Murro. "They are common people who have to do this to not be in under the rule of a dictator. This is not a duplicate movie or a cookie-cutter. It's a very different story to tell in keeping with the original flavor of 300."

'300: Rise of an Empire' heads to new seas

"It's not a prequel or a sequel," says director Noam Murro. "It's a different perspective and characters in the the battle between the Persians and the Greeks."

Now it is the battle-scarred politician Themistokles (Sullivan Stapleton) who musters the Greeks to fight off the invading navy led by the god-king Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) and his right-hand commander Artemesia (Eva Green).

The film features the same heavily stylized look that director Zack Snyder employed in the original. But there is a noticeable difference: The Greeks are a leaner bunch then the famously buff Spartans of 300.

"These are warriors and they look good — and sexy,'' says Murro. "But these are not Spartans. These are common Greeks — poets, sculptors and bakers — who came together to fight.''

Stapleton says rather than bulking up for the role, he lost 25 pounds to achieve the tough, wiry look. "I thought I was going to eat lots of chicken and broccoli and put on heaps of muscles. But it was the exact opposite. We were on a strict diet that leaned us right down."

These new-look bods are highlighted in the famous 300 skimpy fighting costumes.

"It was a scary costume fitting on the first day when they give you your outfit and it's basically a pair of leather undies," says Stapleton. "My daily costume was a leather codpiece and a denim skirt for three months."

New heroes, new glory in '300: Rise of an Empire'

Release date for 300: Rise of an Empire has been pushed from August 2, 2013 to March 2014. I am wondering whether it's cause of another unnecessary 3D conversion like G.I. Joe: Retaliation had last year.

The conversion was always planned. Even with the pushed release date they still want the work finished at the end of this month. :wacko

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back